Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    I think you could go to the NFL and still provide a service for the CFL by being a good ambassador for the league like Flutie was (and several other players). Something like the post I made about Chad Johnson.

Personally for me money would be the only issue, fame and notoriety would mean nothing and often lead to troubles on their own and I also wouldn't want to live in the USA. Many people who have played both prefer the CFL and it's lifestyle so really, it's all about money.

My question to a Canadian would be, if like the olden days you could get the same money playing in the CFL as you could in the NFL where would you play? I think there would be some interesting and surprising answers to that.

There was a big, powerful fullback - Julian Radlein (UBC) - who played for the Ticats circa early 2000, and who apparently drew some NFL notice, but went on record saying he had no interest in going to / being in the USA. Pretty rare attitude and to speak out; but good on him.

As for your question - I think it is you who would be surprised as to how few young Canadians would turn down the lure of fame in the US even if they could get the same money staying in Canada. There might be some wise enough to steer clear of the potential of whack-o-land, just not that many IMO.

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    TAs for your question - I think it is you who would be surprised as to how few young Canadians would turn down the lure of fame in the US even if they could get the same money staying in Canada. There might be some wise enough to steer clear of the potential of whack-o-land, just not that many IMO.
    That's exactly what I think, unfortunately.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 317
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    It's not just NFL money. There is also NIL (name, image and likeness) money now available to NCAA players. Many of Canada's best players have been playing a year or more of their high school ball down south to improve their chances at an NCAA scholarship. Probably even more will try that route in the future.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    We shall see with Rourke and some REAL NFL interest. The super experts there already wrote him off as a QB coming out of US Div I college ball. And those who think the ignorant myopics there are going to be all golly gee impressed by great passing stats in the inferior CFL are maybe mistaken, big-time. (why didn't Collaros or Bovine or Mike Reilly get real NFL calls after their 1st big CFL seasons ?) NFL deep thinker respect for CFL talent is basically at an all-time low IMO - and again, that's good for the CFL.

I hope if he does choose to go down there, it is based on smart thinking - i.e. go to a team that has serious need at the QB position AND is offering a big signing bonus. A one day mini camp joke of a look would be a mistake, even if it is considered a "shot", which it likely would not be.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Unless he absolutely can't, physically (which seems unlikely), why would he not work out for NFL teams? If he doesn't show well and gets offered no contract, he returns and plays another year. If he shows well enough to get offered a contract that guarantees him more than he'd make up here (which is not a huge stretch), he takes it and takes his chances.
    I've heard his injury could take up to six months to fully heal, which would be late February. That would be cutting it close.

We shall see with Rourke and some REAL NFL interest. The super experts there already wrote him off as a QB coming out of US Div I college ball. And those who think the ignorant myopics there are going to be all golly gee impressed by great passing stats in the inferior CFL are maybe mistaken, big-time. (why didn't Collaros or Bovine or Mike Reilly get real NFL calls after their 1st big CFL seasons ?) NFL deep thinker respect for CFL talent is basically at an all-time low IMO - and again, that's good for the CFL.

I hope if he does choose to go down there, it is based on smart thinking - i.e. go to a team that has serious need at the QB position AND is offering a big signing bonus. A one day mini camp joke of a look would be a mistake, even if it is considered a "shot", which it likely would not be.
    Because, to explain it again, there is no NFL interest, there is only interest by the CFL player, who calls his agent to set up individual workouts with NFL teams which occur in Jan/Feb. That's the way it has worked for years if not decades. The correct question would be why those players you mentioned didn't pursue the NFL.

If Rourke was at a mini-camp (or an OTA as the NFL calls it), it would be as a signed player, and he could only sign with a team after offers based on those Jan/Feb individual workouts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    I've heard his injury could take up to six months to fully heal, which would be late February. That would be cutting it close.

Because, to explain it again, there is no NFL interest, there is only interest by the CFL player, who calls his agent to set up individual workouts with NFL teams which occur in Jan/Feb. That's the way it has worked for years if not decades. The correct question would be why those players you mentioned didn't pursue the NFL.

If Rourke was at a mini-camp (or an OTA as the NFL calls it), it would be as a signed player, and he could only sign with a team after offers based on those Jan/Feb individual workouts.
    SO, Dieter Brock was signed as the Rams STARTING QB back in the 80s, after years in the CFL, cause he and/or his agent made a few calls and it was nothing to do with the Rams going out and pursuing football talent in an area of need ? Same with Cam Wake when he left for the NFL after 2 awesome CFL seasons - a whole bunch of teams with interest and work-outs and the Dolphins gave him a million bucks signing bonus cause he put in a call to them?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    SO, Dieter Brock was signed as the Rams STARTING QB back in the 80s, after years in the CFL, cause he and/or his agent made a few calls and it was nothing to do with the Rams going out and pursuing football talent in an area of need ? Same with Cam Wake when he left for the NFL after 2 awesome CFL seasons?
    I'd bet Wake went through the same process of working out for teams and then earning a contract. Maybe Brock as well, though it's interesting you had to pick an example from 37 years ago, and it could have been an advantage for him to go a year after Warren Moon. But if one or both of Wake and Brock didn't go through that process, you're only highlighting exceptions to the rule. For all practical purposes, CFL players have initiated the process for decades.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    I'd bet Wake went through the same process of working out for teams and then earning a contract. Maybe Brock as well, though it's interesting you had to pick an example from 37 years ago, and it could have been an advantage for him to go a year after Warren Moon. But if one or both of Wake and Brock didn't go through that process, you're only highlighting exceptions to the rule. For all practical purposes, CFL players have initiated the process for decades.
    You might be getting warm with modern day NFL signing of CFL players; but's its hardly been decades. Some NFL teams used to go out and scout and sign top CFL talent : offer them big or decent bucks and have them in the mix for starter jobs- that happened for decades; and now, there is just not enough or the same interest, and yes, sometimes it might be more on the player now to drum up some interest.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Michael O'Connor went 6/15 for 94 yards for BC against the Riders, showing inexperience, especially in recognizing coverage, which is hardly unusual in a QBs first start at QB that contributed to his low completion rate. Nevertheless, he did show he could throw the long ball with some accuracy. It is too bad that his injury took him out of the game. I think Sankey should have been tossed because he not only stapled O'Connor to the ground but slow motion replay showed he drove his elbow into O'Connor's face after he was lying on the ground.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The BC Lions have traded for Vernon Adams following injuries to Rourke and O'Connor, leaving the Canadian QB picture barren in the short term, likely until and if Rourke returns this year. In the short term, I don't see O'Connor beating out Adams for starting QB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    The BC Lions have traded for Vernon Adams following injuries to Rourke and O'Connor, leaving the Canadian QB picture barren in the short term, likely until and if Rourke returns this year. In the short term, I don't see O'Connor beating out Adams for starting QB.

IMO, it is quite curious that nothing has been said about O'Connor's injury (and after the extensive reporting on the Rourke injury); he didn't appear that hurt on the sideline, and didn't HC Campbell say at half-time TSN interview he might be able to go back in? Nothing on him since - no injury update; no vote of confidence from the Lions' staff ? I have a feeling the demotion may have been based on his less than one half of play in his start last game ? - he was under 50% passing, and maybe Campbell & co. saw enough and had a quick hook, ready to go to Pipkin (and now Pipkin & Adams) ? Given GOB classic thinking, Campbell might have wanted O'Connor as a back-up to a Canadian starting QB in Rourke as a way to maintain his 7 only need apply preference - so if Rourke had to leave the game for whatever reason, he could put O'Connor in without making other "ratio forced" changes? And now that there is no starting Canadian QB to replace, there is no need for O'Connor when there are American QBs to turn to? Maybe if O'Connor had lit it up like Rourke (80% passing, very accurate throws) he would still be playing, but who knows. My guess is we have seen the end of him playing QB (actual meaningful playing time) for BC; though if Rourke does return, he might have the same utility again ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    IMO, it is quite curious that nothing has been said about O'Connor's injury (and after the extensive reporting on the Rourke injury); he didn't appear that hurt on the sideline, and didn't HC Campbell say at half-time TSN interview he might be able to go back in? Nothing on him since - no injury update; no vote of confidence from the Lions' staff ? I have a feeling the demotion may have been based on his less than one half of play in his start last game ? - he was under 50% passing, and maybe Campbell & co. saw enough and had a quick hook, ready to go to Pipkin (and now Pipkin & Adams) ? Given GOB classic thinking, Campbell might have wanted O'Connor as a back-up to a Canadian starting QB in Rourke as a way to maintain his 7 only need apply preference - so if Rourke had to leave the game for whatever reason, he could put O'Connor in without making other "ratio forced" changes? And now that there is no starting Canadian QB to replace, there is no need for O'Connor when there are American QBs to turn to? Maybe if O'Connor had lit it up like Rourke (80% passing, very accurate throws) he would still be playing, but who knows. My guess is we have seen the end of him playing QB (actual meaningful playing time) for BC; though if Rourke does return, he might have the same utility again ?
    I saw on Twitter that O'Connor injured his groin but I don't really have any firm confirmation of that. I believe he will be able to play their next game against Montreal and I would expect that he will start as Adams won't know the offence well enough; however, the pressure will definitely be on O'Connor to produce in that game.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I saw on Twitter that O'Connor injured his groin but I don't really have any firm confirmation of that. I believe he will be able to play their next game against Montreal and I would expect that he will start as Adams won't know the offence well enough; however, the pressure will definitely be on O'Connor to produce in that game.
    Yup, this is critical for O'Connor, if he doesn't produce I think it will be curtains for him.

I do agree with OV, I think the coaches have seen where having a Canadian QB can be a competitive advantage if they are any good at all. A real shame they all went down because they have missed a perfect opportunity. I can't recall when the league has been weaker at the QB position

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

Any bets on O'Connor starting over Pipkin ? ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I bet Adams starts with a scaled down play book.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I bet Adams starts with a scaled down play book.
    I'll bet Pipkin starts with Adams ready to go in at the slightest notice/reason.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Or, perhaps he actually is dealing with an injury, as appeared to be the case when the Lions last played.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Or, perhaps he actually is dealing with an injury, as appeared to be the case when the Lions last played.

Perhaps; I believe Campbell said during the half-time interview last game that he could go back-in if need be that game? - he was standing on the sidelines in the 2nd half and I don't recall any medical staff looking at him, all concerned ? And why is he dressed as a 3rd stringer if he is unable to play? Very little info on his injury all week (some sort of stomach area thing?); but maybe the Lions' were playing some games to keep the Als guessing.

I still believe the main reason O'Connor was signed and dressed there was for Campbell to maintain his precious little 7 only need apply GOB ways; they thought Rourke was going to be a good starter and one of their 7 only, so a back-up at QB would mean no "ratio problem" switching if Rourke had to go out, in game. It's an ingrained GOB thought process for a lot of them; and Campbell would have learned nothing from his GC win season with Ottawa.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    And why is he dressed as a 3rd stringer if he is unable to play?
    Perhaps for the same reason Dane Evans was dressed last weekend?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    As I suggested (Ravi ;o)) - Pipkin starts and is no good, quick hook to go to Adams who looked lost; back to Pipkin who gets worse and is horrid; #2 guy all year O'Connor is dressed but must be seriously injured as he gets no shot ?

Campbell lucked out there with Rourke being so outstanding ( well at least they drafted him when every other team except the Bummers could have instead); maybe Adams puts it together with more familiarity with their offence ?