Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    but I suspect that Doman does have actual money as opposed to Bruce McNall.
    I think he does.

Amar S. Doman Owner

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SkalbaniasGhost View Post

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/fo...tal-cfl-season

Mr.Stern does not sound like he has put the topic behind him.It's a rather cryptic comment.

"This season will determine what the CFL and Als are about. If not, by midseason, you'll see me take action , althought I'm not sure what that means."
    It would be nice if he were to take action like Doman is taking out in BC. IIRC, Stern has stated that the Als have sold more corporate seats for this season than in seasons past. Hopefully, he'll take action to sell regular seats as well.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Not really meaning to keep harping about Doman (but I will anyway) I found this old article while looking for his thoughts concerning the season opener.

He is interviewed for an article and a video about his being the subject for the cover of a magazine.

This whole type of engagement is what's missing from Argos ownership. In the video he is asked "Do you have a final message to share with us" He looks directly to the camera and asks for support. You get the feeling throughout, "I like this guy, I want to help this guy", the same thing you get from Young and Cui.

And for the life of me (aside from cynical, conspiratorial notions), I can't figure out why the Argos can't do the same (aside from them not having a proper President) I would be willing to bet if there was a thread like this on a Lion's website, they would know about and at the very least have someone engage with it.

I'll agree with the cynics that the Argos may not have the time or feel the need to respond to a bunch of groaners on a website but I would think they should want to tell them they were being heard.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    Not really meaning to keep harping about Doman (but I will anyway) I found this old article while looking for his thoughts concerning the season opener.

He is interviewed for an article and a video about his being the subject for the cover of a magazine.

This whole type of engagement is what's missing from Argos ownership. In the video he is asked "Do you have a final message to share with us" He looks directly to the camera and asks for support. You get the feeling throughout, "I like this guy, I want to help this guy", the same thing you get from Young and Cui.

And for the life of me (aside from cynical, conspiratorial notions), I can't figure out why the Argos can't do the same (aside from them not having a proper President) I would be willing to bet if there was a thread like this on a Lion's website, they would know about and at the very least have someone engage with it.

I'll agree with the cynics that the Argos may not have the time or feel the need to respond to a bunch of groaners on a website but I would think they should want to tell them they were being heard.

The BC owner does remind me here a little bit like the great John Candy when he was unfortunately a short time owner.
    He was doing interviews all across Canada, showed up at practice and was the face of the team.
    Too bad and taken way too early in life.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argotom View Post
    The BC owner does remind me here a little bit like the great John Candy when he was unfortunately a short time owner.
    He was doing interviews all across Canada, showed up at practice and was the face of the team.
    Too bad and taken way too early in life.
    Yes, that is what the Argos are missing, not the specific man so much as the idea

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The contrast between what Doman is doing in BC in less than a year is in sharp contrast to the non-engagement of MLSE with the Argos over five years.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    The contrast between what Doman is doing in BC in less than a year is in sharp contrast to the non-engagement of MLSE with the Argos over five years.
    That's what I am trying to get across. How much simpler would things be if the league (instead of throwing things against the wall hoping they'll stick ie CFL 2.0, XFL) concentrated on each team selling 24k tickets. If every team could sell 24k tickets (capacity for the smallest stadiums) a whole lot of problems would be solved. Unless someone can tell me otherwise, MLSE has done even worse than Braley (considering their vast resources) and treats the Argos with willful neglect.

Unless they are a total moron, no one buys into the CFL to make money. It can be done and should be striven for but it shouldn't be the main motivation for owning a team. The league really has to better position itself into that niche of pro leagues: Nippon baseball, KHL, Serie A etc that are not seen as the very best but are still highly regarded instead of being an afterthought that may perish any day.

So instead of valuation, why can't this brilliant sports conglomeration figure out how to sell 24k tickets in a market of 3? million people. Then you might not be losing money, or is that the actual intent?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    That's what I am trying to get across. How much simpler would things be if the league (instead of throwing things against the wall hoping they'll stick ie CFL 2.0, XFL) concentrated on each team selling 24k tickets. If every team could sell 24k tickets (capacity for the smallest stadiums) a whole lot of problems would be solved. Unless someone can tell me otherwise, MLSE has done even worse than Braley (considering their vast resources) and treats the Argos with willful neglect.

Unless they are a total moron, no one buys into the CFL to make money. It can be done and should be striven for but it shouldn't be the main motivation for owning a team. The league really has to better position itself into that niche of pro leagues: Nippon baseball, KHL, Serie A etc that are not seen as the very best but are still highly regarded instead of being an afterthought that may perish any day.

So instead of valuation, why can't this brilliant sports conglomeration figure out how to sell 24k tickets in a market of 3? million people. Then you might not be losing money, or is that the actual intent?
    3 million? - more like double that in easy striking range. For a game every 2 weeks ?

But yeah, the pathetic effort and results speak volumes IMO; if only there was another Doman type around to take over. Just impossible some say ? ;o)

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    3 million? - more like double that in easy striking range. For a game every 2 weeks ?

But yeah, the pathetic effort and results speak volumes IMO; if only there was another Doman type around to take over. Just impossible some say ? ;o)
    You know, maybe the next game the Lions draw only 18k and all the haterz will come out with the "tolda so's" but I'm sure that won't keep Doman from still kicking and scratching to move slowly forward over an actual plan for the future and not short terms gains like the Argos always seem to do (ie import latest NFL star bust/has been.