Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Boatman
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    What would be the price tag for a “marquee” player?
    I’m sure other teams would love to see the Argos spend millions of dollars bringing in star players when they don’t have the ability to do so themselves.
    MLSE has the financial clout to do this but I don’t see other teams supporting this at all.
    I disagree. I think a “big bad Argos” would help the league. In the west and Hamilton, it’ll only ramp up the hate. If we were able to spend big, have a good team that was seen as having an advantage, it would be an easy storyline for the league to sell. MLSE has the pockets for it, and it has worked in the past with Ismail and briefly Ricky Williams.
    Probably isn’t sustainable long term.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Topshelf View Post
    I disagree. I think a “big bad Argos” would help the league. In the west and Hamilton, it’ll only ramp up the hate. If we were able to spend big, have a good team that was seen as having an advantage, it would be an easy storyline for the league to sell. MLSE has the pockets for it, and it has worked in the past with Ismail and briefly Ricky Williams.
    It didn't work. The first year with Rocket had attendance that we'd kill for nowadays, but it was far below what ownership needed financially. Only one crowd above 40k until the Eastern Final. And attendance dropped the following year, so any gains from the big-name year dissipated almost immediately. As for the Ricky Williams year, Argos had decent attendance IIRC, but I don't trust that any of the attendance numbers from that era reflected actual paid sales.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    We are in a completely different era now. Even if the Argos were to pony up $40M for a top NFL QB, they would still say no. When the Argos paid Rocket $6M, he was the highest paid player in football. NFL revenues have possible grown 100 times what they were back then (possibly even higher).
    To pay big big bucks for a secondary star down there would be a total waste of money, and likely wouldn't move the needle. And even then, I don't see any player leaving the NFL to play in the CFL, no matter what the money is.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    We are in a completely different era now. Even if the Argos were to pony up $40M for a top NFL QB, they would still say no. When the Argos paid Rocket $6M, he was the highest paid player in football. NFL revenues have possible grown 100 times what they were back then (possibly even higher).
    To pay big big bucks for a secondary star down there would be a total waste of money, and likely wouldn't move the needle. And even then, I don't see any player leaving the NFL to play in the CFL, no matter what the money is.
    It's funny how much change we saw in player salaries between the NFL and CFL between the early 1980s and 1991 when Rocket was signed. In the three decades since, the difference between the two leagues salary-wise has grown exponentially.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Mike Hogan mentioned in his “Top 22 of 22” article (point # 9) is that the team is working hard to expand the fan base. He didn’t go into specifics, but if Hoagie says an effort is being made, then I believe him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Mike Hogan mentioned in his “Top 22 of 22” article (point # 9) is that the team is working hard to expand the fan base. He didn’t go into specifics, but if Hoagie says an effort is being made, then I believe him.
    The problem the Argos face goes beyond simply promoting the team. How do you deprogram a large portion of people who have chosen to hate something before even seeing it?

New Fan
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 61
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    500 Experience Points1 year registered

Level
    It doesnt bother me about ARGO attendance. I have been consistently going to games since the 1980's. Dont think I ever spent more than $25 on a ticket, excepting GREY CUP GAMES. Don't ask me about my beer tab. In fact this year at THE EASTERN FINAL I spent $76 on 4 tickets for my wife and 2 boys. Yep $19 each.We had tailgate with about 15 people and other great FRIENDS, FAMILY and ARGO fans. I would rather be able to pick my seat wherever I want, small lineups for washrooms or beer/food. What could be better? Nothing! Cant wait for another great season with my closest 9,000- 14,000 friends!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ARGOMAN 27 View Post
    It doesnt bother me about ARGO attendance. I have been consistently going to games since the 1980's. Dont think I ever spent more than $25 on a ticket, excepting GREY CUP GAMES. Don't ask me about my beer tab. In fact this year at THE EASTERN FINAL I spent $76 on 4 tickets for my wife and 2 boys. Yep $19 each.We had tailgate with about 15 people and other great FRIENDS, FAMILY and ARGO fans. I would rather be able to pick my seat wherever I want, small lineups for washrooms or beer/food. What could be better? Nothing! Cant wait for another great season with my closest 9,000- 14,000 friends!
    Hahaha great first post. I like your style. Welcome to the forum!

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Play more Metallica in between series. Play a locomotive train sound on the defenses second down.

Also, start Chad Kelly and remind people he's related to Jim Kelly who went to 4 consecutive Superbowls. It couldn't hurt.
    Last edited by DoubleBlue_Red; 01-17-2023 at 03:26 PM.

Boatman
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue_Red View Post
    Play more Metallica in between series. Play a locomotive train sound on the defenses second down.

Also, start Chad Kelly and remind people he's related to Jim Kelly who went to 4 consecutive Superbowls. It couldn't hurt.
    I love the marketing potential of Chad Kelly.
    It’s unfair that it’s based on his name, but there are a lot of Bills fans in the GTA and making that connection could provide more visibility than any QB since Flutie. If I’m MLSE I’m working on some type of Bills day, with Jim Kelly in attendance.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I love the marketing potential of Chad Kelly.
    It’s unfair that it’s based on his name, but there are a lot of Bills fans in the GTA and making that connection could provide more visibility than any QB since Flutie. If I’m MLSE I’m working on some type of Bills day, with Jim Kelly in attendance.
    Tough to do until they know whether or not CK will be the likely starter. If MBT comes back (and FTR I'm not expecting him to), he will presumably be the projected starter, at least. If he doesn't, and Kelly is the most obvious alternative, then by all means set up a marketing plan around his name. It would not be without risk -- I've said before and I continue to feel he's a loose cannon and not someone I'm yet prepared to fully invest my faith in. Hopefully he proves my doubts are unfounded.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Can't see any outcome other than MBT returning.

I know he's an eccentric who dances to the beat of his own drummer, but imo, a normal thinking process of a 34 year old who may never have another opportunity to make half a Mill for 6 months of work is to take the payday.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    but imo, a normal thinking process of a 34 year old who may never have another opportunity to make half a Mill for 6 months of work is to take the payday.
    I don't know much about the entertainment industry, but his wife may be making more and is in a pretty unique situation (how many people get to write/create a TV show?). Hence, the rumours.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    Can't see any outcome other than MBT returning.

I know he's an eccentric who dances to the beat of his own drummer, but imo, a normal thinking process of a 34 year old who may never have another opportunity to make half a Mill for 6 months of work is to take the payday.
    There's more than one place to earn a paycheque.

And some folks put family ahead of work. He has a wife and 2-year-old daughter he was mostly living apart from for half of 2022. I know I would not have been able to stand that when my kids were that age, regardless of how much money I was being paid.

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    How the Lions are marketing

BC Lions president Duane Vienneau
    (36:00)

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm thinking free beer and concessions all season long and we would see a marked increase in attendance.

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Retrogorilla 2 View Post
    I'm thinking free beer and concessions all season long and we would see a marked increase in attendance.
    The Lions have $5 dollar beers at their festivities.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    The Lions have $5 dollar beers at their festivities.
    The last time I went to a TFC game I felt taken advantage of with the beer prices, which verge on the criminal. I'm assuming the Argo games are the same?

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Didn't the Argos have $6-$7 beers at one point?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Didn't the Argos have $6-$7 beers at one point?
    They had $3 hot dogs and $7 beers last night.
    It's us vs the rest of the country