Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Argo Fan
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level

BMO and Gameday experience

Suffice to say, I haven't been to a live Argo game in years despite being a lifelong fan (used to go to games at Exhibition Stadium) and living in the city. Obviously covid had a lot to do with that but curious to hear other peoples' thoughts on the BMO 'experience".

I did recently attend a TFC game as a buddy had an extra ticket - I wasn't thrilled with going through a metal detector to get in and truly, strongly disliked the cashless concessions - I find that extremely creepy. Sucking it up, I shelled out $16(!) for a can of beer (I could save money drinking in a strip club, FFS) and struggled to get home after the game fighting with the crowds to find a cab. All that and MLSE's previously over-zealous covid policy (implementing vaccine passes before it was even made quasi-legal) has soured me on ever going through all the hassle to attend an Argo game in the future.

I had season's tickets once back in the Skydome days and gotta say: "enjoyed that experience way more than MLSE/BMO."

Anyone else feel the same or am I alone in this?

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    There are no such COVID vaccine polices in place anymore though.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Just so we're clear, are you judging the experience of an Argos game at BMO based solely on attending a TFC game?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Welcome to any paid event in 2022. Food and drinks are overpriced, I get it, but there are many alternatives like eating beforehand or filling up water from the sole and hard to find water fountain. Sightlines are much better, as is the atmosphere than the Rogers Centre. But I would say the pregame walk/atmosphere around the stadium felt more special entering the Dome. Can't really explain it.

MLSE's previous policy has soured my desire to purchase seasons after immediately cancelling last season and the team never put in any effort in selling any to me. So I never bought. No phone calls. Just generic emails that everyone gets. I now just take advantage of any deal out there on a day that works for me. It is what it is.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I’d be lying if I said seeing the “TFC Wall of Honour” amongst other TFC signage all around BMO doesn’t sit well with me. How does a franchise dating back from 1873 not have any recognition in their own stadium?

Despite low attendance Argo games are still very enjoyable live.

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Just so we're clear, are you judging the experience of an Argos game at BMO based solely on attending a TFC game?
    Not all all. I went to Argo games in 2019. The TFC game was the first time I had been back to BMO Field after all the covid shutdowns and such.

I think I was really put off with the metal detector thingies, emptying my pockets just to get in and also the cashless concessions which I assume would all be the same at an Argo game. I also feel being taken advantage of when buying $16 beers (which were about $12.50 last time I went)...sure I understand it's going to be more expensive, but it is off-putting and leaves me not wanting to go back there at all. I'm sure a lot of it has to do with me being my 50's and hating all the changes, but it just doesn't seem to be as much fun as it used to be. e.g. Anyone remember the Argo hemet car from the days at the EX?

As to other posters' points: Yeah, doesn't really feel like The Argonauts' "home" in the slightest to me either.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I love going to games. To me, that is what sets the Argos apart from every other team in this city. I don't need a 2nd mortgage to go to every game. And win or lose, I always have a blast. Of course, having good friends sit with me helps.
    The metal detectors have been a pain in the past, but I got a great idea from the person in front of me yesterday. I saw him take of his ball cap and put wallet, phone, keys and everything else into the hat. I did the same, and it just was way less inconvenient that way. Kudos to him.
    I finally found the $3 hot dog stand, and happy to say the line moved really fast. A little confusing though as the have a big menu that says Hot Dogs $7, sausages $9 and then a tiny little sign that says $3 hot dogs.
    I don't drink at games (rarely drink period anymore), but there were $7 beers available if you're not a beer snob and must drink craft or imported beers.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I love going to games. To me, that is what sets the Argos apart from every other team in this city. I don't need a 2nd mortgage to go to every game. And win or lose, I always have a blast. Of course, having good friends sit with me helps.
    The metal detectors have been a pain in the past, but I got a great idea from the person in front of me yesterday. I saw him take of his ball cap and put wallet, phone, keys and everything else into the hat. I did the same, and it just was way less inconvenient that way. Kudos to him.
    I finally found the $3 hot dog stand, and happy to say the line moved really fast. A little confusing though as the have a big menu that says Hot Dogs $7, sausages $9 and then a tiny little sign that says $3 hot dogs.
    I don't drink at games (rarely drink period anymore), but there were $7 beers available if you're not a beer snob and must drink craft or imported beers.
    I go to Marlie games for the same reason - doesn't break the bank to go have a decent time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Yes your alone. I think your issues are more with the current state of our society than the move to BMO. Sure, we didn’t have metal detectors, cash only, vaccine check, $16 beers, etc, at Skydome back then, but we would now, in fact, the Jay’s have many of those things. Argos games are super affordable, I pay $29 to sit behind the bench in 126. Come early, have a few beers at the tailgate, save your money.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Achievements:
    Level
    Cashless concessions are great - I don't quite understand the problem. (And I am, shudder, in my 60s.) Tap your credit or debit card - or if you want to be fancy, your phone, or your watch - on the thing and boom, you're done, takes a whole 2 seconds. No fumbling for bills, counting change, etc. What am I missing? What's creepy about it?
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I agree, but you’ll need to show me where the cheap hot dog stand is on Saturday!
    BMO is a great place to watch CFL football, cashless concessions don’t bother me at all.
    Admittedly it does suck that you can’t just get your ticket scanned and enter the stadium but unfortunately increased security is a necessity these days.
    Still pissed off about losing to Ottawa, let’s hope they smarten up and play well against Hamilton.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    Cashless concessions are great - I don't quite understand the problem. (And I am, shudder, in my 60s.) Tap your credit or debit card - or if you want to be fancy, your phone, or your watch - on the thing and boom, you're done, takes a whole 2 seconds. No fumbling for bills, counting change, etc. What am I missing? What's creepy about it?
    Not that it has anything to do with the Argos, but a cashless society is a horrific proposition rife with negative implications. Encouraging it or failing to see that is part of the problem. As we saw with the protest in Ottawa, the government is very much prepared to take away your money from you if they don't like what you say/do.

Boatman
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    I have never been to BMO Field, but my neighbour wants to take his father-in-law who is visiting from out of town to a game. Any suggestions on the best section to sit in? I suggested he look on-line for anything at centre field - any other suggestions? Thanks

Argo Fan
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by kellynjk View Post
    I have never been to BMO Field, but my neighbour wants to take his father-in-law who is visiting from out of town to a game. Any suggestions on the best section to sit in? I suggested he look on-line for anything at centre field - any other suggestions? Thanks
    Not really any "bad" seats in the house, tbh. I'd buy cheaper and then just move closer to the middle if you want to as the game goes on/you can see empty seats.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Retrogorilla 2 View Post
    . As we saw with the protest in Ottawa, the government is very much prepared to take away your money from you if they don't like what you say/do.
    As we saw with the occupation in Ottawa, if you break the law you should be very much prepared to pay the price.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Can we try to keep recent Canadian events out of the forum and just talk football?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I agree, but you’ll need to show me where the cheap hot dog stand is on Saturday!
    BMO is a great place to watch CFL football, cashless concessions don’t bother me at all.
    Admittedly it does suck that you can’t just get your ticket scanned and enter the stadium but unfortunately increased security is a necessity these days.
    Still pissed off about losing to Ottawa, let’s hope they smarten up and play well against Hamilton.
    I will take you to the stand at the half. Of course, the line up might move slower thanks to the uncivilized Neanderthals from the hammer trying to calculate the price of 2 hot dogs in their heads.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I will take you to the stand at the half. Of course, the line up might move slower thanks to the uncivilized Neanderthals from the hammer trying to calculate the price of 2 hot dogs in their heads.
    AV you never disappoint! This is what should be discussed on the forum!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    AV you never disappoint! This is what should be discussed on the forum!
    Sanity prevails.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I never knew of the $3 hot dogs. I hope they’re not canned Vienna sausages
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.