Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level

Do the Argos have the only sellout so far this season?

In the "look on the bright side" department, it is a little mind boggling that the only (I think) sellout so far in 2022 was a Toronto Argonauts home game.

Saskatchewan "at" Toronto, July 16
    Capacity: 10,000
    Attendance: 10,886

(ok, admittedly, in Nova Scotia, but still, the Argos sold out a home game and I don't think anybody else has.)
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Update: Montreal had a sellout this week vs. Hamilton (well done!)
    Attendance: 21,024 (Sellout)
    Capacity: 20,025

Still, how weird is it that the only two sellouts this season have been for Montreal and Toronto home games?
    Faster + Louder = Better

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    It's up for debate if Montreal was a sellout (even though I hope it was) Molson was "reconfigured" in 2019 (from around 23k to 20k), we still don't know what the reconfiguration actually was but it may have been tarping seats (plainly visible on recordings from then) I am under the impression they have had the tarps removed. They did remove endzone seats previously to go from 25k (after the big upper deck addition) to 23k. So present capacity is either 23k or 20k but I am thinking it is 23k or maybe a little less.

Have no fear, IGF has already announced a sellout for the Banjo Bowl.

Edit: Montreal was close but not a sellout for them (yet)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    It's up for debate if Montreal was a sellout (even though I hope it was) Molson was "reconfigured" in 2019 (from around 23k to 20k), we still don't know what the reconfiguration actually was but it may have been tarping seats (plainly visible on recordings from then) I am under the impression they have had the tarps removed. They did remove endzone seats previously to go from 25k (after the big upper deck addition) to 23k. So present capacity is either 23k or 20k but I am thinking it is 23k or maybe a little less.

Have no fear, IGF has already announced a sellout for the Banjo Bowl.

Edit: Montreal was close but not a sellout for them (yet)

Yeah, I could still see plenty of empty seats (but way fewer than I've seen in recent years). I thought they could maybe squeeze another 1000 or so people in. Sure hope Stern can continue to drum up interest there. Maybe MLSE can start to implement some of his strategies.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    Yeah, I could still see plenty of empty seats (but way fewer than I've seen in recent years). I thought they could maybe squeeze another 1000 or so people in. Sure hope Stern can continue to drum up interest there. Maybe MLSE can start to implement some of his strategies.
    That would mean having an actual face that cares, they have neither. Stern is already revving the fans for a sellout in the next game against Ottawa.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I like that almost all CFL fans root for the success of all the other teams, at the gate at least.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    I like that almost all CFL fans root for the success of all the other teams, at the gate at least.
    I'll speak for myself, I know I do. I'm a fan of the league and what is good for it more than any team. It's a strange way to be a fan but when I watch a game I root for whoever I think needs the win.

Here's how crazy that can get. On September 2nd Montreal will be hosting Ottawa. Ottawa needs the win but the franchise is relatively stable with good ownership and a refurbed stadium on the horizon, even though crowds have been getting smaller because of their poor record.

But Montreal has been building some momentum rebuilding their fanbase and Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver are so important to the perceived health and visibility of the league. We need them to do well. Plus, I'm of the opinion (no proof) that Montreal may be the least monetized team in the league, they can't lose money. And the way Stern is so likeable and seemingly naive about what he's gotten himself into. So I'll root for Montreal. Complicated ain't it?

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    You can have empty seats and still sell out. You can have tickets sold and people not showing up (often times weather) but also with the popularity of the party decks and roaming areas many fans are often not in their seats.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Achievements:

Level
    You can have empty seats and still sell out. You can have tickets sold and people not showing up (often times weather) but also with the popularity of the party decks and roaming areas many fans are often not in their seats.
    True enough, and that makes it more difficult to gauge from the TV crowd shots for sure.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I'll speak for myself, I know I do. I'm a fan of the league and what is good for it more than any team. It's a strange way to be a fan but when I watch a game I root for whoever I think needs the win.

Here's how crazy that can get. On September 2nd Montreal will be hosting Ottawa. Ottawa needs the win but the franchise is relatively stable with good ownership and a refurbed stadium on the horizon, even though crowds have been getting smaller because of their poor record.

But Montreal has been building some momentum rebuilding their fanbase and Montreal, Toronto and Vancouver are so important to the perceived health and visibility of the league. We need them to do well. Plus, I'm of the opinion (no proof) that Montreal may be the least monetized team in the league, they can't lose money. And the way Stern is so likeable and seemingly naive about what he's gotten himself into. So I'll root for Montreal. Complicated ain't it?
    I do something similar. The reality is that the stronger Vancouver, Toronto, and, to a lesser extent, Montreal are, the stronger the entire league is.

For example, the 2004 playoffs broke a playoff attendance record from 1983. What were the commonalities? Strong franchises - or at least the perception of such - in Toronto and Vancouver. The 1983 and 2004 Grey Cups featuring the Argos and Lions are two of the highest-rated Grey Cups ever.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I think at this point Montreal is more important than Toronto, although your point is well taken. Under the present Argo ownership about the only thing that can be counted on is that the bills will be paid. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like their attendance will change significantly, the possibility is looming in Montreal to increase significantly.

Boatman
    Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 62
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    CFL ownership is stable now, but that can all change quickly. The issue is noone seems to be making an effort. Was at the game Saturday on the east stand and it appeared many people were there on giveaway seats.
    If youre going to do that why not go one step further and just have season seat holders on the west stand, and declare the east stand completely free for the CNE games. There were people watching from behind the north fence, just let them in.
    I know the 20 dollar ticket and free cne admission is kinda the same thing, but the publicity of "free admission" with cne entry just sounds better to people.
    The Indy car race has the free practice day.
    With that promotion maybe you "sell out" the hamilton game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    And the way Stern is so likeable and seemingly naive about what he's gotten himself into. So I'll root for Montreal. Complicated ain't it?
    Couldn't agree more. I want him to succeed and find a great business model that works, so some similar rich person will think "hey, that looks like fun, I should buy the Argos -or- make this Atlantic Schooner thing happen"
    Faster + Louder = Better

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Riders have sold out Labour Day Classic to go along with the Bombers sellout of the Banjo Bowl.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    In an article "How do you fix the Toronto Argonauts?" on TheAthletic.com, Bill Manning asked about promoting the team, and he says

This year, he said the focus will be on four home games. The Argos will host two games at BMO Field during the Canadian National Exhibition later this summer, and game tickets will also secure entry into the fairgrounds.

There will also be a build-up for a home game against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats, and a fan appreciation promotion with the home finale this fall. Manning said the hope is that the modest promotions draw a few more fans into the building, and that the product on the field will draw them back.
    "modest" is right, I've hardly seen anything. "a few more fans" is a pretty minimal goal.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    In an article "How do you fix the Toronto Argonauts?" on TheAthletic.com, Bill Manning asked about promoting the team, and he says

"modest" is right, I've hardly seen anything. "a few more fans" is a pretty minimal goal.
    Seems like all promotion is courtesy of Mike Hogan. God bless him, but they need a lot more than that.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    On television the attendance at BMO Field seems pretty low this year. How many fans have the Argos been averaging at home games this year, does anyone know? It says on-line that the football capacity of BMO is 27,500. It seems unlikely that the Argos have hit anything close to that this season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by kellynjk View Post
    On television the attendance at BMO Field seems pretty low this year. How many fans have the Argos been averaging at home games this year, does anyone know? It says on-line that the football capacity of BMO is 27,500. It seems unlikely that the Argos have hit anything close to that this season.
    Capacity as it stands now is 18k as they do not sell the upper east side. I think they are averaging between 11 and 12k
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Okay well that's not bad 11,000 or 12,000 a game, still would be nicer to see them get something closer to 15,000 a game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Although attendance isn’t great, it looks worse on tv than it is - season ticket holders are mostly all in the west side, and so are the cameras so all you see is the relatively sparsely populated east side. It’s a shame the cameras aren’t on the other side - but then they’d be Pointing straight into the sun. Which is also why fewer people sit over there.
    Faster + Louder = Better