Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Still in a state of shock as I write this. I was telling people all week that the Argos would “Surprise” Winnipeg.
    Lots of hate for Bede. “Experts” in the media are quick to point out his low FG%. The fact that Dinwiddie has faith in him to attempt longer FGs attributes to that stat. Kicking in the cold was difficult for both kickers last night. His KOs land very deep and he can also Punt at a high level. I hope Bede isn’t “Dumped” in the offseason.

As for Banks, he was brought in to help with the Grey Cup. He did just that. As for his penalty for mouthing off to the official, how often do you see that go uncalled? Glad Speedy got his Ring with the Argos. Lets be happy for that.

Robbie Smith was a Beast last night, but if he doesn’t make that FG block (Yes Angelo V, Leggio shanked it pretty bad), he would be run out of town as well due to a lousy Offsides call, an unfortunate Facemask call and allowing Grant to get a lane on his Punt return TD.

Enjoy the victory. Hopefully the team isn’t faced with a pile of defections and we can enjoy as much continuity as he CFL allows.
    Robbie Smith's off-side was marginal, if at all; the facemask was totally unintentional, and if he doesn't get there, maybe Collaros completes a big pass play instead; the punt cover lane thing, we don't really know (nor does a clown like Suitor) and guys who had real shots at the tackle whiffed.

The Argos showed strong to overcome really dumb penalties by - Banks (mouthing off) and Hunter (late hit on Jefferson) that could have been very costly.

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Still in a state of shock as I write this. I was telling people all week that the Argos would “Surprise” Winnipeg.
    Lots of hate for Bede. “Experts” in the media are quick to point out his low FG%. The fact that Dinwiddie has faith in him to attempt longer FGs attributes to that stat. Kicking in the cold was difficult for both kickers last night. His KOs land very deep and he can also Punt at a high level. I hope Bede isn’t “Dumped” in the offseason.

As for Banks, he was brought in to help with the Grey Cup. He did just that. As for his penalty for mouthing off to the official, how often do you see that go uncalled? Glad Speedy got his Ring with the Argos. Lets be happy for that.

Robbie Smith was a Beast last night, but if he doesn’t make that FG block (Yes Angelo V, Leggio shanked it pretty bad), he would be run out of town as well due to a lousy Offsides call, an unfortunate Facemask call and allowing Grant to get a lane on his Punt return TD.

Enjoy the victory. Hopefully the team isn’t faced with a pile of defections and we can enjoy as much continuity as he CFL allows.
    Some were saying this is the weakest Kicker matchup in the CFL. I remember Nik Lewis saying Bede is mentally weak.

As for the official, he looked like he was on a power trip throwing that flag and then pointing at Banks.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Robbie Smith's off-side was marginal, if at all; the facemask was totally unintentional, and if he doesn't get there, maybe Collaros completes a big pass play instead; the punt cover lane thing, we don't really know (nor does a clown like Suitor) and guys who had real shots at the tackle whiffed.

The Argos showed strong to overcome really dumb penalties by - Banks (mouthing off) and Hunter (late hit on Jefferson) that could have been very costly.
    Remember when there was “Unintentional Facemask” penalty that was 5 yards? I actually thought that was a good rule. Oddly I had no issue with Hunter hitting Jefferson. I thought it might send a message that he wasn’t the biggest guy on the field.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Robbie Smith deserves some award, despite his penalty and punt coverage. Just to come back and respond right after thinking you might have just cost your team
    Robbie Smith got the team “player of the game” award presented at the team party last night.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    And BTW - kudos to the Argos coaches and their Canadian talent as big parts of this Argo GC win; Henoc, Robbie Smith, Andrew Harris, the O-line. The coaching staff has more faith in their Canadian players than most CFL teams - at least 11 Argo Nationals either started or else played plenty or reps on O & D in the GC win; as opposed to Walters & O'Shea and their 7 only need apply GOB schtick. The Bummers are going in the opposite direction than the Argos in this department - the Bummers draft last year was a joke IMO; while the Argos got stronger by adding Canadian talent not just ear-marked as back-ups or special teamers, and want Canadians to be able to play anywhere or be key parts of the team.
    Focusing on Canadian - and especially local - talent has been a huge part of Pinball's plan for this team. He particularly wants a lot of local talent as they are more likely to stay committed to the team long-term. The Argos have drafted better than anyone in recent years - even going back to Jim Popp's final year as GM - and have the best Canadian talent in the league. There used to be a saying that the team with the best Canadian talent wins the Grey Cup. That certainly applied this year.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Four decades ago, if your FG kicker was making 60% of their kicks, that was acceptable. Even going back 15 years, making 70% or so was good enough. Now, the expectations are for 80% plus and Bede was a little short of that this year after a very strong year last year. As you say, nobody attempts more longer kicks than Bede though, as he has the strongest leg in football IMO.

While he didn't have his best game last night, he still made five huge kicks - three FGs and two converts and also added a key rouge on the 36 yarder he missed. I don't blame him for the block, which was a phenomenal play by Hallett as much as anything, and I think the wind was a challenge last night. It would be foolish to move away from Bede IMO.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Remember when there was “Unintentional Facemask” penalty that was 5 yards? I actually thought that was a good rule. Oddly I had no issue with Hunter hitting Jefferson. I thought it might send a message that he wasn’t the biggest guy on the field.
    The NFL has had that 5 yard "Unintentional Facemask" penalty but I don't ever recall the CFL having such a penalty. Having said that, I have often thought that is one of the few rules the NFL has that may be a good idea for the CFL to adopt.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Focusing on Canadian - and especially local - talent has been a huge part of Pinball's plan for this team. He particularly wants a lot of local talent as they are more likely to stay committed to the team long-term. The Argos have drafted better than anyone in recent years - even going back to Jim Popp's final year as GM - and have the best Canadian talent in the league. There used to be a saying that the team with the best Canadian talent wins the Grey Cup. That certainly applied this year.

Agreed Ravi (and Gittens was even a non-factor sort of in the GC after his great year).

Looking forward to seeing Dionte Knight or Dan Adeboboye, Nield & Brissett or some other young Argo Canadians or draft picks contribute to the team in the future.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Four decades ago, if your FG kicker was making 60% of their kicks, that was acceptable. Even going back 15 years, making 70% or so was good enough. Now, the expectations are for 80% plus and Bede was a little short of that this year after a very strong year last year. As you say, nobody attempts more longer kicks than Bede though, as he has the strongest leg in football IMO.

While he didn't have his best game last night, he still made five huge kicks - three FGs and two converts and also added a key rouge on the 36 yarder he missed. I don't blame him for the block, which was a phenomenal play by Hallett as much as anything, and I think the wind was a challenge last night. It would be foolish to move away from Bede IMO.

I'd have to disagree a bit.

Bede has a cannon of a leg, but if he cannot become much more consistent in FG kicking he needs to be replaced at that job IMO; they could find a young kicker with a super accurate leg especially for attempts from 45 and in (like Paredes has been or that young guy the Ticats came up with this year), and still perhaps keep Bede as punter (Haggerty has been very good though) and to do kick-offs or the 55+ yard FG attempts that not many kickers have the leg for. I even believe the kicking game is so important in the CFL I would consider dressing 3 kickers (more important than a 5th string LB who only plays special teams IMO - where was that guy to stop Grant yesterday ;o) ) Bede makes those early FGs in the GC and there was no need for heart-stopping drama that put the game in jeopardy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    The NFL has had that 5 yard "Unintentional Facemask" penalty but I don't ever recall the CFL having such a penalty. Having said that, I have often thought that is one of the few rules the NFL has that may be a good idea for the CFL to adopt.
    It was a good rule, but the NFL no longer has that rule either. I guess it left too much to interpretation. The 5 yard variety came if a player grabbed and released the mask immediately without pulling on it. That is really hard to determine intent.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    In 2017, it was Matt Black who was the hero, and that was after having been released earlier in the season. In 2022, it was Robbie Smith who was the hero, and that was after he had taken a potentially devastating penalty minutes earlier. I don't know who is a free agent, but it would be nice to come back with a DE corps consisting of Ja'Gared Davis, Shane Ray and Robbie Smith.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Gotta admit: MBT is a pretty cool dude! - talking up CFL talent and the game (to inform the ignorant / NFL fan-boy types up here); speaking up for the changes or improvements that could help (and that clown Ambrosia & the BOGooofs don't get); and, sporting retro Argo gear !!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Gotta admit: MBT is a pretty cool dude! - talking up CFL talent and the game (to inform the ignorant / NFL fan-boy types up here); speaking up for the changes or improvements that could help (and that clown Ambrosia & the BOGooofs don't get); and, sporting retro Argo gear !!!
    MBT has a helluva collection of retro Argo gear.

Achievements:
    Level
    Chad Kelly was on 1050 today around 1:30pm. Didn’t listen. Hopefully they have a clip of it or an easy to find link.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I listened and usually TSN 1050 posts their audio stuff later in the day.

Henoc was on First Up this morning as well.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I left & lost an Argo cap in a classroom at Carleton U circa early 80s, or was it late 70s ? ... ( Pay lots to be able to get it back.

Argo v-neck, uniform style shirt (#7 - Joe Theismann) from the 70s sometime, is I believe my oldest surviving Argo gear/souvenir .

Achievements:
    Level
    Maybe over the off-season, I will document my collection if people are interested.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Chad Kelly was on 1050 today around 1:30pm. Didn’t listen. Hopefully they have a clip of it or an easy to find link.
    https://www.tsn.ca/radio/toronto-1050

It's all there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 909
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points

Level
    Awesome GC game, likely one of the top five finishes of all time.
    Have to admit eating some humble pie with MBT.
    I did not think the man had the ability to lead this team, but time proved me wrong.
    I hope he comes back next year as he is a true warrior.
    I would also like to see and hopefully the coach will slot Kelly with more packages, just like on Sunday which was forced due to injury.