Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

Grey Cup Thread - Winnipeg Blue Bombers vs. YOUR Toronto Argonauts

First off - really hope Collaros is able to go to be able to face the Bombers at their best; wonder if there will be much injury updates on his injured ankle. I think the Argos will kill them if they are forced to go with the likes of Dru Brown or Prukop (shades of Bummers bad luck GC QB history; Dinwiddie's 1st ever CFL start in place of injured Kevin Glenn in 07; and Sammy Garza having to play for the injured great Matt Dunigan back in 93 i think it was - both predictable Bomber losses).

Bombers have a tough, veteran D and Richie Hall is a smart DC; but I really believe the Argos can both run & pass for lots of yardage and points on this D.

Bombers O with Collaros is both dangerous and balanced; Oliveira is a tough inside runner; good receivers with Schoen & Demski, but I was shocked basically that Greg Ellingson was a total non-factor yesterday - targeted a couple of times only with zero catches; he could make things tougher on the Argos D if he is back to form ? Still think the Argos D can contain and limit this Bombers O, BUT, they have to do wayyyy better than yesterday vs. the Als O.

Accurate FG kicking could be key - both Bede & Liegghio are great at times and iffy at others.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    First off - really hope Collaros is able to go to be able to face the Bombers at their best; wonder if there will be much injury updates on his injured ankle. I think the Argos will kill them if they are forced to go with the likes of Dru Brown or Prukop (shades of Bummers bad luck GC QB history; Dinwiddie's 1st ever CFL start in place of injured Kevin Glenn in 07; and Sammy Garza having to play for the injured great Matt Dunigan back in 93 i think it was - both predictable Bomber losses).

Bombers have a tough, veteran D and Richie Hall is a smart DC; but I really believe the Argos can both run & pass for lots of yardage and points on this D.

Bombers O with Collaros is both dangerous and balanced; Oliveira is a tough inside runner; good receivers with Schoen & Demski, but I was shocked basically that Greg Ellingson was a total non-factor yesterday - targeted a couple of times only with zero catches; he could make things tougher on the Argos D if he is back to form ? Still think the Argos D can contain and limit this Bombers O, BUT, they have to do wayyyy better than yesterday vs. the Als O.

Accurate FG kicking could be key - both Bede & Liegghio are great at times and iffy at others.
    It's paradoxical. The Argos have to win and you'll take any advantage, but you also want to beat your opponent at their best. It will be interesting to see what happens with Collaros this week.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    There really isn't anything that the Bombers don't do well. They have a similar vibe to the Edmonton teams of 1978 to 1982 so I am looking forward to seeing if the Argos can pull the upset although it won't be an upset in my mind. The Argos have had some interesting games against Winnipeg going back to 2019. MBT brought them back from 20 points down to beat the Bombers in Toronto in 2019 and then almost brought them all the way back from an early 17 point deficit this year. The Argos also thoroughly outplayed Winnipeg last year in Toronto with Nick Arbuckle at QB. They seem to matchup well against the Bombers. Can't wait until Sunday!
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    There really isn't anything that the Bombers don't do well. They have a similar vibe to the Edmonton teams of 1978 to 1982 so I am looking forward to seeing if the Argos can pull the upset although it won't be an upset in my mind. The Argos have had some interesting games against Winnipeg going back to 2019. MBT brought them back from 20 points down to beat the Bombers in Toronto in 2019 and then almost brought them all the way back from an early 17 point deficit this year. The Argos also thoroughly outplayed Winnipeg last year in Toronto with Nick Arbuckle at QB. They seem to matchup well against the Bombers. Can't wait until Sunday!
    What you say is true. And there is 'just something about' this Argo team. The D has a swagger, reminds me of the group in 2017. That team was 9-9 and managed to beat a very powerful Calgary team. This years Argos are under dogs, as well, but I really like their chances. Especially if Collaros's mobility is limited.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm assuming McManis will not be able to play (unfortunately). That opens up another INT spot. IMO the options are, in approximate order of likelihood:

Most likely:

Ali Fayad -- an extra d-lineman would not hurt, especially since the Bombers have some scramble packages for Prukop.

Caleb Holden -- we were a little thin at DB on the weekend.

Less Likely:

Eric Rogers (if healthy) -- would love to see him in the lineup, but the receivers we played last week are all capable, and he could also be inserted in place of Phillips.

Very Unlikely:

Isaiah Cage -- The starting O-line is gelling and does not need any adjustment, but he could dress as a backup o-lineman. Dressing Cage would likely mean sitting Richards, which would open a NAT spot for Brescacin (as if) or Knight. But I don't see this happening -- it makes no sense to use an INT spot on a guy who won't get on the field unless there is an injury, and even then would require ratio juggling.

Robertson Daniel -- for the same reason as Holden -- we could use a bit more depth at DB. But Daniel hasn't played since week 1, can't see him being put back in the lineup at this point.

All things considered, I think Fayad draws in if McManis is out.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    One other possibility, intriguing but IMO highly unlikely, would be adding Haydel. He had that great return against Mtl two weeks ago. But I don't see a lot of value in adding a second kick returner.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I would like to see Robertson Daniel added as he is versatile and can play in Chris Edwards' linebacker spot, which is where he started this season, or in the defensive backfield, where he started last season.

I still like Cam Phillips a lot but he has struggled since returning from his injury. I do think that they should ponder replacing him with Eric Rogers for the Grey Cup as a result of his recent struggles.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    OV, I have made this the Grey Cup thread and changed the title accordingly.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Argos are going to have to do a better job of running the ball than BC did.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    OV, I have made this the Grey Cup thread and changed the title accordingly.
    Thank-you / good stuff !

Nothing on Collaros' injury yet?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Argos are going to be wearing blue while the Bombers will be in white. Not that it matters to me but I always find it interesting. I guess the Bombers are trying to keep their streak alive and I'm assuming there's some superstition involved.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    Argos are going to be wearing blue while the Bombers will be in white. Not that it matters to me but I always find it interesting. I guess the Bombers are trying to keep their streak alive and I'm assuming there's some superstition involved.
    The Argos won the 1997, 2012 and 2017 Grey Cups while wearing their home uniforms.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thank-you / good stuff !

Collaros appears to be quite fine and this doesn't appear to be an issue.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The Argos won the 1997, 2012 and 2017 Grey Cups while wearing their home uniforms.
    I would have loved to bust out this year's version of the 1991 GC look (white jersey/Oxford pants/Cambridge socks) but instead we will almost certainly get Oxford/Oxford/TBD. I really hope the team at least goes with last Sunday's look (Cambridge socks) rather than monochrome top to bottom as we had in 2017. I'd also love to see a look I believe we never saw this year (but which used to be our standard "home" uni): white pants under Oxford jerseys.

Whatever we wear, it won't matter -- we will win regardless.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thank-you / good stuff !

O'Shea isn't going to tell us.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Achievements:
    Level
    Interesting, I didnt think the argos were the home team for this one, due to proximity it would have been winnipeg.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder: 2010 - 2014 & 2016 - Present
    Grey Cups Attended: 2012, 2016
    Current Seats Location: Section 227

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I would have loved to bust out this year's version of the 1991 GC look (white jersey/Oxford pants/Cambridge socks) but instead we will almost certainly get Oxford/Oxford/TBD. I really hope the team at least goes with last Sunday's look (Cambridge socks) rather than monochrome top to bottom as we had in 2017. I'd also love to see a look I believe we never saw this year (but which used to be our standard "home" uni): white pants under Oxford jerseys.

Whatever we wear, it won't matter -- we will win regardless.
    Looks like they are all blue (navy socks included) for this year. They did wear the white pants with blue jersey once this season and it was for the Touchdown Atlantic game but I agree, it should be worn more often. I'm good with the all blue look for this week though!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:

Level
    I see this game as a day of reckoning for the Argonauts and Zach Collaros, but that’s probably just me.

I became a big fan of this guy during his glorious college days at UC. I was thrilled that he was able to show his special skill set and his intangibles-out-the-yinyang for the Argos on several occasions in ‘12 and ‘13 and I was heartbroken that we let him walk in 2014.

Sure, it would have been a very brave and bold move at the time, but with the benefit of hindsight it’s pretty clear to me that keeping Collaros and letting Ricky walk woulda been the better move.

In any case I view Zach’s 2019 departure very differently. This guy had so little regard for the Argonauts, its management and its fans that he was willing to leave his home base and his young family just to get away. So that he could go to a “good” franchise that was a “winner” and had fans that “cared”.

Well the chickens are finally coming home to roost. I am hoping like hell we knock his sorry ass all over Mosaic Field on Sunday and show him what a champion Argonaut team looks like. And also so I can finally let go of all of those what-ifs from 2014.:-)
    Last edited by Rich; 11-17-2022 at 12:37 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I see this game as a day of reckoning for the Argonauts and Zach Collaros, but that’s probably just me.

I became a big fan of this guy during his glorious college days at UC. I was thrilled that he was able to show his special skill set and his intangibles-out-the-yinyang for the Argos on several occasions in ‘12 and ‘13 and I was heartbroken that we let him walk in 2014.

Sure, it would have been a very brave and bold move at the time, but with the benefit of hindsight it’s pretty clear to me that keeping Collaros and letting Ricky walk woulda been the better move.

In any case I view Zach’s 2019 departure very differently. This guy had so little regard for the Argonauts, its management and its fans that he was willing to leave his home base and his young family just to get away. So that he could go to a “good” franchise that was a “winner” and had fans that “cared”.

Well the chickens are finally coming home to roost. I am hoping like hell we knock his sorry ass all over Mosaic Field on Sunday and show him what a champion Argonaut team looks like. And also so I can finally let go of all of those what-ifs from 2014.:-)
    Zach looked very good from the beginning in Toronto, hard to say how things would have worked out here looking at some of the O-Line play over the last few years.
    Hard to walk away from a Hall of Fame QB who as it turned out had a good season in 2017 which ended with a championship.
    Turns out Jim Popp had a contract extension ready for Collaros but was fired before it was finalized (see article below).

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...jOe4CuBlOzYzEZ
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I don't think that's how it all went down. First of all, he was traded to the Bombers; that was Argos' choice, not his. Second, he had just agreed to sign a contract extension but before it could be signed, Jim Popp got fired. Murphy and Pinball then decided to trade him.

https://www.tsn.ca/dave-naylor-prair...roll-1.1878972