Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level

Henoc Muamba deserves more recognition

I think he was worthy of an all-star nomination and maybe even the defensive player nomination, and I think he deserved better.

Wynton McManus could very well have been the most outstanding Argo on defence, but IMO Muamba was easily the most valuable Argo defender. He is the captain, signal caller, leader, and heart and soul of that defence. The two players have similar stats, but which one could you least do without?

For that matter, if you gave every CFL coach the choice to have either Henoc Muamba or Shawn Lemon on their team, which one would they choose?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I think he was worthy of an all-star nomination and maybe even the defensive player nomination, and I think he deserved better.

Wynton McManus could very well have been the most outstanding Argo on defence, but IMO Muamba was easily the most valuable Argo defender. He is the captain, signal caller, leader, and heart and soul of that defence. The two players have similar stats, but which one could you least do without?

For that matter, if you gave every CFL coach the choice to have either Henoc Muamba or Shawn Lemon on their team, which one would they choose?
    Muamba all the way. He is a beast.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level

Wynton McManus could very well have been the most outstanding Argo on defence, but IMO Muamba was easily the most valuable Argo defender. He is the captain, signal caller, leader, and heart and soul of that defence.
    I love Muamba, and agree he is worthy of more recognition. But no MLB is a signal-caller anymore. As with everything in football, coaching has taken over that function, which is why the entire defence stares at the sideline before each play, and often Royce Metchie runs on late passing on instructions from the coach.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Muamba's play down the stretch has been excellent.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

S. Lemon up for D player of the year is a total farce IMO; Cam Judge on his own team did way, way more for their D.

Seems to me, top Canadian players often are relegated to settling for the consolation top Canadian selection come awards time rather than getting selected as top O or D player for their team, in the good ole CFL.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    S. Lemon up for D player of the year is a total farce IMO; Cam Judge on his own team did way, way more for their D.

Seems to me, top Canadian players often are relegated to settling for the consolation top Canadian selection come awards time rather than getting selected as top O or D player for their team, in the good ole CFL.
    In today's football universe, 14 sacks is sexier than a well rounded performace from a LB who puts up 78 tackles, 2 INTs, 5 sacks.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Boatman
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    I"m not sure how much thought is put into the selections by the voters but I'm sure some of them just looked at the stats and saw that Santos-Knox had a lot more tackles than Muamba and hence got the nod. Under this scenario, even Avery Williams would have received more votes than Muamba.

It doesn't matter in these eyes though as Muamba is a more effective player than either Santos-Knox or Williams due to leadership and tempo setting standpoints. In other words, there is a lot more to football than statistics. You have to watch the games intently to know this, however.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    CFLPA puts out a better all-star team anyways. I’ve always considered that to be the truest of selections. Josh Smith is a voter for crying out loud.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Looks like the award voters decided to do a make-up call for snubbing him before, and good on them.

Grey Cup MVP and MOC is suitable recognition of this fine man, this superb player and this great Canadian.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Muamba had a fierce presence on the field that made him the team leader on the defence. It was why he was so emotional at the awards ceremony. He is the heart and soul of the Argo defence.

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 68
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime31 View Post
    I"m not sure how much thought is put into the selections by the voters but I'm sure some of them just looked at the stats and saw that Santos-Knox had a lot more tackles than Muamba and hence got the nod. Under this scenario, even Avery Williams would have received more votes than Muamba.

It doesn't matter in these eyes though as Muamba is a more effective player than either Santos-Knox or Williams due to leadership and tempo setting standpoints. In other words, there is a lot more to football than statistics. You have to watch the games intently to know this, however.
    That's the problem, tackles don't indicate where on field they were made. How many were made after a first down vs after a short gain?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCanuck89 View Post
    That's the problem, tackles don't indicate where on field they were made. How many were made after a first down vs after a short gain?
    Exactly. I remember when Edmonton's JC Sherritt set a new tackles record a decade ago. He did it in the fourth quarter of the final game of the season and did it by tackling a Calgary player after they got a first down. A wild celebration ensued and the entire thing was ridiculous.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Does the CFL not include tackles for loss as a statistic?

Also, keep in mind, the perception of tackles in that an increased # for a LB is OK but for a DB it is not because it is perceived that your assignment is getting plenty of receptions at your expense, but even that has qualifications such as a DB losing a 50/50 ball.

I think Calvin Tiggle at one time had the Argos record for most in a season (1994) and nobody is going to herald that team as a defensive juggernaut.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Henoc should go down as one of the best Canadian MLBs in CFL history, IMO; perhaps only Mike O'Shea could be rated higher, though there have been lots of good ones. Both great Argos !!!

And in the wings behind vet Henoc at MLB for the Argos is Jack Cassar - outstanding on special teams this season, and BTW who had 7 combined tackles (3 on D, 4 on special teams) in this GC game to lead all players in that category in the game.

CFL D stats are not detailed enough; we mentioned half sacks here earlier, and there should also be half tackles accounted for as the NFL does (U Sports ball too i think ? ); also, don't see the stat for pass knock-downs that TSN commentators sometimes site (Willie Jeffferson supposedly way out in front) - that would be good to see - for D-Lineman at the line of scrimmage batting down balls, but also for LBs & DBs in coverage.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Henoc should go down as one of the best Canadian MLBs in CFL history, IMO; perhaps only Mike O'Shea could be rated higher, though there have been lots of good ones. Both great Argos !!!

And in the wings behind vet Henoc at MLB for the Argos is Jack Cassar - outstanding on special teams this season, and BTW who had 7 combined tackles (3 on D, 4 on special teams) in this GC game to lead all players in that category in the game.

CFL D stats are not detailed enough; we mentioned half sacks here earlier, and there should also be half tackles accounted for as the NFL does (U Sports ball too i think ? ); also, don't see the stat for pass knock-downs that TSN commentators sometimes site (Willie Jeffferson supposedly way out in front) - that would be good to see - for D-Lineman at the line of scrimmage batting down balls, but also for LBs & DBs in coverage.
    Cassar has been great all year. Our kick coverage was excellent in the Grey Cup, aside from that one Grant return.