Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level

A New Era of Legitimacy?

The last two times the Argos won the Grey Cup, they were 9-9. The years in between these cups were not ideal, to say the least. Many critics argue these cup victories were "one-offs" or due to the luck of the CFL structure.

The Argos have returned to the Grey Cup but this time, it follows two seasons of winning the East. A level of success this team has not achieved for some time.

Do the Argos have the foundation in place to maintain this success, or at least stay consistently competitive, going forward? Is the team in danger of returning to a 4 win season?

To pose this question in the most dramatic way possible, have the Argos begun a new era of legitimacy?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    It's tough to say with free agency being what it is in today's game. But, it feels to me like we are indeed in an era of Argos legitimacy. A lot can change in an offseason, but I think we'll be able to sign enough of our talent to remain competitive for a good while.

I fear, though, that the team might dump MBT in favour of BLM, which could be a big mistake--especially if we give him a huge contract that limits our ability to sign FAs in other positions.

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    It's tough to say with free agency being what it is in today's game. But, it feels to me like we are indeed in an era of Argos legitimacy. A lot can change in an offseason, but I think we'll be able to sign enough of our talent to remain competitive for a good while.

I fear, though, that the team might dump MBT in favour of BLM, which could be a big mistake--especially if we give him a huge contract that limits our ability to sign FAs in other positions.
    1/ The secondary was hit hard in both the 2012-2013 and 2017-2018 offseasons.

2/ I don't think BLM will command the same salary as he did when we went through this back in the 2018-2019 offseason.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Rumours are flying that MBT will retire after the Grey Cup but that could be a case of media putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 6. At this point in his career, I don't see BLM as an upgrade over MBT who has, frankly, outplayed him over the past two seasons. Also, as Will points out, there is no way that BLM will command the kind of dollars that he did back in 2019.

I feel like the Argos are well-positioned for the future and are coming off two strong seasons so I feel confident that we won't see a repeat of what happened after 2017 but that QB position is going to be crucial for sure.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    For what it's worth, Farhan seems to feel that Bo and Harris are both going to get overpaid to the tune of $500k or so.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Rumours are flying that MBT will retire after the Grey Cup but that could be a case of media putting 2 and 2 together and coming up with 6. At this point in his career, I don't see BLM as an upgrade over MBT who has, frankly, outplayed him over the past two seasons. Also, as Will points out, there is no way that BLM will command the kind of dollars that he did back in 2019.

I feel like the Argos are well-positioned for the future and are coming off two strong seasons so I feel confident that we won't see a repeat of what happened after 2017 but that QB position is going to be crucial for sure.
    If MBT were to retire, I would go after Fajardo or “gulp” Dane Evans to compete with Kelly for the starters job. I still think BLM has a lot to offer though. Ideally I would like to see MBT return.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    "have the Argos begun a new era of legitimacy?"
    I would say yes BUT....the league has so much player turnover a team can turn bad very quickly as well. See the Cats this year.
    Also after the 12 or 17 GC's with Ray you would have thought we were on the cusp of dominance.
    Overall I love the teams direction and management. So we'll see. Good question!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post

Hamilton is hosting the Grey Cup next year, and IMO they traded to get BLM's rights because they are going to go all in and try to win it with him as their QB. So I don't see him actually entering free agency. I don't blame Hamilton because he is still one of the best QB's in the league and will be dying to prove Calgary wrong in having moved on from him. So I don't see and frankly wouldn't want him in the mix in the Argos QB picture.

Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    If MBT were to retire, I would go after Fajardo or “gulp” Dane Evans to compete with Kelly for the starters job. I still think BLM has a lot to offer though. Ideally I would like to see MBT return.
    A lot may depend on what happens in the GC game. If Argos win, you could argue that this would be the perfect way for MBT to finish what has been such an incredible football journey. Go out on top. Having said that, this has been only the first time he has had the chance to lead a team all the way to a championship, and he may want to do it again to prove it wasn't a one-off. If the Argos lose, I think there is more incentive for him to come back, and I would be happy with that. The biggest thing the Argos have to do, IMO, is to carefully groom and prepare Chad Kelly to step up into the #1 role if he is who they believe in. Argos cannot afford, and should not, let another strong prospect get away. If MBT doesn't come back, either Fajardo or Evans would be experienced QB's that could share playing time with Kelly, as the team gets him more game reps. In fact, Evans has been most successful when he had a strong second QB in the system. Two QB's who can be inter-changed mid-game as circumstances dictate could work. But my first wish is that MBT does come back. He has grown on me!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    The Argos could win the next 8 straight GCs and it wouldn't do diddley to increase fan interest and team/CFL support as long as they continue to be owned by the same group of un-caring, all-american hype $ucking weasels.

Get a new caring owner like Doman in BC who is willing to market/promote the team in many ways, and combine that with a solid winning team for a few years, and then we might see some progress - to sold-out Argo games.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I don’t know where this retirement rumour is coming from. Is it the fact that his partner is leading a new Marvel show for Disney+? Naylor said financially he doesn’t have to play but I don’t know how many guys leave after their best season at 34? He still seems pretty passionate about football and I don’t think he’s physically declining. Heck Trevor Harris is older than him.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    1. No to Fajardo if we need a QB next season.

2. I'm not yet sold on Kelly; he has the raw ability, but I don't know about the mindset.

3. I expect Bo will either wait for free agency (as he just said he would) or will extract a ridiculous overpayment from Hamilton as a price for keeping him out of free agency.

4. I'm not as sure as I was previously about Bo being washed up. I could see him having several more productive years, in the right situation.

5. If we do need a QB next year, I'd be interested in either Dane Evans or Jeremiah Masoli.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    It is inevitable that there will be player turnover. That happens to a greater or lesser extent with every team, every year. However, after observing how the team has been improved over the last two years, I have faith with Pinball's leadership, the team will continue to improve.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post

2. I'm not yet sold on Kelly; he has the raw ability, but I don't know about the mindset.

3. I expect Bo will either wait for free agency (as he just said he would) or will extract a ridiculous overpayment from Hamilton as a price for keeping him out of free agency.

4. I'm not as sure as I was previously about Bo being washed up. I could see him having several more productive years, in the right situation.

5. If we do need a QB next year, I'd be interested in either Dane Evans or Jeremiah Masoli.

Yes to Masoli; no to Dane Evans (though I'd take the Ottawa Evans if he is up for grabs) or Fajardo.

Can always recruit some new top notch US college ball QBs (the Argos once came up with guys named Collaros & Trevor Harris in one off-season) to compete with Kelly; I'd also look at FA signing Sask. Huskies QB Mason Nyhus (but pigs would fly first).

Love to see the Pussycats sign over-rated, shot arm/ misses all kinds of open receivers (but yes, once very good) Bovine, and pay big buck$ ... to combine with goof Condell to finish last in the East in a GC hosting season. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I don’t know where this retirement rumour is coming from. Is it the fact that his partner is leading a new Marvel show for Disney+? Naylor said financially he doesn’t have to play but I don’t know how many guys leave after their best season at 34? He still seems pretty passionate about football and I don’t think he’s physically declining. Heck Trevor Harris is older than him.
    I think that you have hit the nail on the head as to where the retirement rumours are coming from.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level

Hopefully there is nothing to the MBT retirement rumours, best case scenario next season would be MBT and Kelly at QB again. As you your interest in Dane Evans, I have to question if the cold Regina air has done harm to you Paul.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Hopefully there is nothing to the MBT retirement rumours, best case scenario next season would be MBT and Kelly at QB again. As you your interest in Dane Evans, I have to question if the cold Regina air has done harm to you Paul.
    I also threw out Evans as a possibility, There is no question the guy has a lot of talent, but to me his biggest downfall is he gets way too emotional on the field. If he can somehow get his emotions during a game in check, I think he can be a great QB. And yes, I realize I make fun of him and call him Dana. Unlike Paul, I also like Fajardo, especially as a #2.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    How about Shiltz or Arbuckle, if they're the guys available from Hamilton and Ottawa?

My first choice would be Masoli. Then, Shiltz, Arbuckle, Farjardo, Dane Evans, Michael O'Connor.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

How about Shiltz or Arbuckle, if they're the guys available from Hamilton and Ottawa?

My first choice would be Masoli. Then, Shiltz, Arbuckle, Farjardo, Dane Evans, Michael O'Connor.
    I could see Hamilton overpaying Bo since they have already invested draft picks in getting first crack at him, although I could see them possibly being outbid by a team desperate for a name QB, although I think that's is less likely.

Kelly still needs grooming before taking over.
    I say no Dane Evans, Shiltz or Arbuckle. Caleb Evans doesn't have enough experience yet to be a #1 QB.
    Fajardo is certainly one of my favourites but he got a bad rap behind an OL that set a record for sacks. Given a decent OL Fajardo could be a middle of the road first string QB. I'd put Masoli in the same category.
    Bo may have shown that he has adjusted to the limitations of age and injuries but he would likely be pricey. However, lost the #1 job in Calgary, I think he would be playing with a chip on his shoulder, something that has worked out well for Andrew Harris through much of his career.

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    The Argos could win the next 8 straight GCs and it wouldn't do diddley to increase fan interest and team/CFL support as long as they continue to be owned by the same group of un-caring, all-american hype $ucking weasels.

Get a new caring owner like Doman in BC who is willing to market/promote the team in many ways, and combine that with a solid winning team for a few years, and then we might see some progress - to sold-out Argo games.
    You can't just 'get' a new owner like acquiring a new running-back. No one else but MLSE can absorb the losses that are an unfortunate business reality of Argos ownership.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue_Red View Post
    You can't just 'get' a new owner like acquiring a new running-back. No one else but MLSE can absorb the losses that are an unfortunate business reality of Argos ownership.
    Really now, is that so. Funny I recall a bunch of CFL experts saying the BC Lions were doomed with Braley as owner.

"No one else but MLSE" - LOL - are u for real? What, they're your almighty corporate sports business super-heroes ?