Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

Your Toronto Argonauts are Grey Cup Champions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm so fucking proud of this team.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    What a game ! What an ending - and an absolutely perfect choice for MVP in Henoc !

(Side note -for anyone that might have attended in Sask tonight - I'm curious as to whether a program was made for this game and I would assume no "tickets" were made at this point as everything is all e-tickets now --- I only ask as I have collected the program and ticket from every Argos Grey Cup win since 1983 going forward - I would assume there are no more "hard copy" tickets but thought maybe a program exists?!)
    Last edited by Argos1983; 11-20-2022 at 11:05 PM.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I thought it was going to Robbie Smith. Eddie Steel did too
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Where does this team rank? Record wise they are better than 2017 but I felt the East wasn’t great this year. I love Ricky Ray, he’s the GOAT, but the 2017 team just felt like a random group of players. I never necessarily felt a connection with that team as a fan. Vaughn and Black stepped up, which seems be the Grey Cup trend. Not so star players making big plays when it matters (see Robbie Smith). That team turned their season around when Wilder become the #1 and ran all over Edmonton. And who can forget Posey’s big play?

2012 had a roster of vets like Ray, Kackert, Foley, Younger, Pre, Durie, Owens, Keeping, CVZ (boooo), etc. so it was special to see that core win the big game.However, 2022 just felt destined to get to the Grey Cup and was the expectation IMO with how the East was looking. This team wasn’t perfect, o-line struggled and MBT had some ups and downs (he’s no Ricky Ray) but I did feel there was more of a chemistry here and they seemed to click. Also cool to see some backups like Jones, Kelly, Oullette step up. They ended the season on a roll, who cares about the loss to Montreal. For that reason, 2022 is definitely better that the 2017 team but 2012 had that core of long time Argos who played some bad years, so that was something special and meant more to me than both 2017 and today. Plus, it was hosted at the Dome and was 100th. I just hope Pinball can keep this core (especially defensively) and let guys like Banks retire on top.

For some reason I don’t feel the need to compare this team with other GC teams. Just felt like comparing it to those wins since 2010. Other fans may choose to rank this team with all the other winning teams within the clubs history or during their own lifetime.
    Last edited by ArgoGabe22; 11-20-2022 at 11:39 PM.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Boatman
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Where does this team rank? Record wise they are better than 2017 but I felt the East wasn’t great this year. I love Ricky Ray, he’s the GOAT, but the 2017 team just felt like a random group of players. I never necessarily felt a connection with that team as team. That team turned their season around when Wilder become the #1 and ran all over Edmonton. 2012 had a roster of vets like Ray, Kackert, Foley, Younger, Pre, Durie, Owens, Keeping, CVZ (boooo), etc. so it was special to see that core win the big game. This team just felt destined to get to the Grey Cup and was the expectation IMO with how the East was looking. This team wasn’t perfect, o-line struggled and MBT had some ups and downs (he’s no Ricky Ray) but I did feel there was more of a chemistry here and they seemed to click. Also cool to see some backups like Jones, Kelly’s no Oullette step up. They ended the season on a roll, who cares about the loss to Montreal. For that reason, 2022 is definitely better that the 2017 team but 2012 had that core of long time Argos who played some bad years, so that was something special. I hope Pinball can keep this core (especially defensively) and let guys like Banks retire on top
    Agree hope they can keep the defensive team together, dump both Banks and Bede and make some changes offensively. Still this team, despite being the underdogs didn't give up and deserved the win!!

Boatman
    Level completed: 83%, Points required for next Level: 35
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    This was a truly epic win where everyone contributed. We all know how important Henoc Muamba is to this defense (except the all-star voters) and how superlative he was today. But other factors such as the defensive line was very important. The fact that the Argos could rotate 7 or 8 linemen made such a difference when facing Winnipeg's O-line, especially in the fourth quarter when the Bombers typically were teams down with their running game and play action. The O-line also had a strong game and have gotten better as the season wore on. Ryan Hunter has been an excellent addition and one cannot say enough about Philip Blake and Dejon Allen.

Special teams with the exception of Bede's missed field goals and the punt return by Jamarion Grant, were strong also. We all saw what Javon Leake can do when given the opportunity. What more can you say about Robbie Smith. He made two big errors but played through it and made some huge impact plays.

And we got to see what Chad Kelly can do. Also feel good for MBT as he got us here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I'm so fucking proud of this team.
    In SO many ways! Henoc said it best after the game... they are "Men of Character". Not a perfect game, but a perfect ending to an amazing season. To have percevered the way they did, and never give up or stop believing in each other. I could not be happier for them all.

The one downer for me was seeing Larry Tanenbaum sucking up with the team after the win. I used to have a lot more respect for him, but truthfully MLSE and even most of the City of Toronto don't deserve this team, seeing as how much they have been overlooked.

But we are the Champions! I hope they savour and enjoy every minute.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    In SO many ways! Henoc said it best after the game... they are "Men of Character". Not a perfect game, but a perfect ending to an amazing season. To have percevered the way they did, and never give up or stop believing in each other. I could not be happier for them all.

The one downer for me was seeing Larry Tanenbaum sucking up with the team after the win. I used to have a lot more respect for him, but truthfully MLSE and even most of the City of Toronto don't deserve this team, seeing as how much they have been overlooked.

100%.
    As for Tanenbaum, you knew he had to be there. He was in the dressing room celebrating last week's win too. His comments about valuation aside, I think he truly loves the team.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Big shout out to anyone who made chili for the game. You are all the real heroes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:

Level
    On his way home downtown after the win, my son took a picture of the CN Tower.... it was double blue! Tried to upload it here but it wouldn't work. That is awesome.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    On his way home downtown after the win, my son took a picture of the CN Tower.... it was double blue! Tried to upload it here but it wouldn't work. That is awesome.
    Once again let’s hope the organization is able to take advantage of their success and get more people to BMO next season.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    For me, this journey to the Cup began on the night when the Argos were embarrassed by the BC Lions 55-8 in 2019. I was at that game with my young family...it sucked. Pinball Clemons was hired that night and a new regime began. 3 years later my family got to watch them become champions again!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    For me, this journey to the Cup began on the night when the Argos were embarrassed by the BC Lions 55-8 in 2019. I was at that game with my young family...it sucked. Pinball Clemons was hired that night and a new regime began. 3 years later my family got to watch them become champions again!
    It's funny as I was just thinking about that game this week. That was the game that cemented to me that MBT was the QB they needed to move forward with. It was a live mic game and you could clearly hear the difference between James Franklin and MBT in the huddle. MBT was calm, cool, and composed and prevented the Argos from being shutout 55-0 that night. He clearly displayed much greater leadership skills than Franklin. After that game, Popp was fired and replaced by Pinball, Collaros was traded, and MBT became the undisputed starter for the rest of that season. I agree that was the game that, more than any other, led to this wonderful night tonight.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Here's a good shot courtesy of former Argos head cheerleader and currently CTV News Toronto's Jessica Smith:

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argos1983 View Post
    What a game ! What an ending - and an absolutely perfect choice for MVP in Henoc !

(Side note -for anyone that might have attended in Sask tonight - I'm curious as to whether a program was made for this game and I would assume no "tickets" were made at this point as everything is all e-tickets now --- I only ask as I have collected the program and ticket from every Argos Grey Cup win since 1983 going forward - I would assume there are no more "hard copy" tickets but thought maybe a program exists?!)
    Sadly, no program was printed or sold, and no hard copy tickets. Those days are gone forever, it seems.

Also, it is worth mentioning that there were a LOT of empty seats in the stadium. The section I sat in (very high up on the east side behind Argo bench) was more than half empty. There was literally no one in front of us for five or six rows, and no one beside us for six or seven seats. A weirdly solitary experience.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

Can you imagine the shitstorm in the media and on fan forums like this if the chair of MLSE didn't even bother to attend the championship game? MLSE deserves lots of criticism for its stewardship of the Argos, but not for this. And I can tell you that the victory party thrown for the team last night was pretty frickin lavish and well done.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Tanenbaum needed to be there as owner, and his absence would have been disappointing.
    My issue is with Manning being there. I hope he was networking with his fellow CFL Presidents to learn something and get schooled on how to run a football team. How many people saw him at games this year? Or saw him doing any kind of press about the Argos this year?
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Tanenbaum needed to be there as owner, and his absence would have been disappointing.
    My issue is with Manning being there. I hope he was networking with his fellow CFL Presidents to learn something and get schooled on how to run a football team. How many people saw him at games this year? Or saw him doing any kind of press about the Argos this year?
    I really can't blame Manning. He already has a job which tales the majority of his time. It's not his fault MLSE goes on the cheap and adds the Argos to his portfolio knowing full well, he will not be able to give it the attention in needs.

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    What was Tanenbaum supposed to do? Not show up so he could be lambasted for not showing up?

I did like that two players (Banks & Harris) lifted the trophy instead of Tanenbaum being front and centre though.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Boatman
    Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 36
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Sadly, no program was printed or sold, and no hard copy tickets. Those days are gone forever, it seems.

Also, it is worth mentioning that there were a LOT of empty seats in the stadium. The section I sat in (very high up on the east side behind Argo bench) was more than half empty. There was literally no one in front of us for five or six rows, and no one beside us for six or seven seats. A weirdly solitary experience.
    Thanks for letting me know - when I looked online I didn’t see any programs for 2018 onwards so I guess that’s done. I was actually surprised that there were programs for the Jays in the playoffs this year and the Heritage Classic as well earlier this year - so there are still a few events left that produce souvenir programs.