Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level

Time may have come to consider Michael Pinball Clemons as the next CFL Commissione

Once the league realizes that promises don’t equal outcome, the league should approach “Pinball” as the commissioner. Here’s a candidate that has quietly gone 7-0 at Grey Cups. I wonder what more Mike needs to accomplish at the team level. The country knows & loves Mike.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I will likely be the only guy on this website who doesn't think that is a good idea. I want to see a ruthless businessman, somebody who will stare down the Bell/Rogers unholy alliance and do what is best long term for the league. Instead of building bridges (or pretending to as of this moment) I think it's time to start blowing up bridges.

Everyone thinks there are no realistic options other than TSN, it's time to be bold or the league will slowly wither into oblivion if they stay the TSN only course. If the status quo remains more and more people will be unable to view the broadcasts. I haven't been able to watch a game at home via TSN for at least 16 years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    I will likely be the only guy on this website who doesn't think that is a good idea. I want to see a ruthless businessman, somebody who will stare down the Bell/Rogers unholy alliance and do what is best long term for the league. Instead of building bridges (or pretending to as of this moment) I think it's time to start blowing up bridges.

Everyone thinks there are no realistic options other than TSN, it's time to be bold or the league will slowly wither into oblivion if they stay the TSN only course. If the status quo remains more and more people will be unable to view the broadcasts. I haven't been able to watch a game at home via TSN for at least 16 years.
    There is no question that TSN is one of the biggest issues facing the future of the CFL. Trust me, Mike’s success isn’t due to him being likeable, but Mike identifying the big issues and addressing them.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I will defer to 1971 here as he knows Pinner personally more than anyone here can. My only reservations about him becoming Commissioner would be the yahoos across the league thinking he would give the Argos preferential treatment. I would hate to see his reputation questioned.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Amen Angelo. Mike’s got huge shoulders too. I’d love for him to stay on with the Argos and get promoted to President. That would be the next logical step that he’s deserved. Selfish on my part.

But Mike being 7-0, I’d love to give him the choice of roles. At the Grey Cup Randy was booed by a large contingent of CFL fans. Not good for the league.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Amen Angelo. Mike’s got huge shoulders too. I’d love for him to stay on with the Argos and get promoted to President. That would be the next logical step that he’s deserved. Selfish on my part.

But Mike being 7-0, I’d love to give him the choice of roles. At the Grey Cup Randy was booed by a large contingent of CFL fans. Not good for the league.
    I agree. I want a change of commissioner too. Selfishly, I want Pinner to run the Argos for as long as possible. Hopefully sooner rather than later as President.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    A big part of Pinball's success as a GM is his ability to attract talent, and to get otherwise unfocused or hot-headed players to buy into the team philosophy. This has been extremely valuable for the Argos.

I hope he continues as GM.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    A big part of Pinball's success as a GM is his ability to attract talent, and to get otherwise unfocused or hot-headed players to buy into the team philosophy. This has been extremely valuable for the Argos.

This and I feel that the commissioner's position comes with a significant amount of politics which is something I would prefer Pinball stay away from.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post

Excellent point about attracting unorthodox players!

Maybe Mike’s biggest strength is implementing his “vision”, whether it’s at the individual level or organizational level. Something that I think has been missing at the leagues level” for quite a while.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I’d like to give Mike the choice on that one.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    This and I feel that the commissioner's position comes with a significant amount of politics which is something I would prefer Pinball stay away from.
    I’d like to Mike the choice.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post

Agreed. Very well said, IMO.

Pinner should stay as leader to steer the good ship Argo. He may not be a real tough & sharp business mind who could deal with weasels like Bell/Rogers and all the other CFL enemies out there.

The CFL Commish should ideally be a person who know business with lots of connections AND who has grown up with Canadian football - watching, playing ... a fan who has real vision of what makes Canadian football what it is.

Way better TV deal and other business/income smart decisions; get to a 10th team in Atlantic Canada; entrench Canadian rules AND Canadian players as an integral part of the game/league with further erosion totally off the table, and make some reversals ( eg. put the hash-marks back to where they belong - no more $ucking up to some of the American simpletons in charge of CFL offences; return Canadian content to 50% plus of CFL rosters). Tough challenges; but doing nothing and going backwards as in under that clown Ambrosia is heading for disaster.

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I’d like to give Mike the choice on that one.
    Of course it's his choice, but the purpose of a discussion board is to allow people to give their own two cents.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Entrench Canadian rules AND Canadian players as an integral part of the game/league with further erosion totally off the table
    Agree with this, league must be more Canadianized rather than marching towards yet another WFL/USFL/WLAF/XFL 12.0 failure.
    Last edited by bannedforlife; 11-23-2022 at 05:54 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I want a new commissioner. He deserved to be booed, and notice how the Argo players picked up the trophy on their own. They did not let Ambrosie pick it up and hand it to them.

But I want Pinball to run the Argos as President. I think he can do more good for the CFL in the short term rebuilding the Argo brand and making them relevant again in the GTA.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:

Level
    At the Grey Cup Randy was booed by a large contingent of CFL fans. Not good for the league.
    That shouldn't be shocking.... look at what happens anytime Gary Bettman or Roger Goodell get near a crowd. The other commissioners as well, to a lesser extent. That part is a reality in most sports and comes with the territory. Unfortunately, as a Commissioner, your primary loyalty will have to be to the league's owners, and that doesn't necessarily coincide with what is best for fans. Sad but true. For that reason alone, I would not wish this on Pinball, as intriguing an idea as it is. He shouldn't have to shovel that kind of shiite, and like Will has said above, too much politics involved.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    No question the CFL Commissioner job is thankless, Uber-political and perhaps an impossible task to accomplish. Mike definitely isn’t the grovelling type either. Maybe he wouldn’t even last a month. But if there’s a chance he wanted to, and only took on the job on his terms, substantial progress could happen. Somebody’s gotta move the needle at CFL HQ.

Boatman
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Perhaps with the new blood at the governors level in the form of Cui, Doman and even Stern in Montreal (as short-lived as that might be), perhaps the personalities will be more amenable to change and advancing the league as a whole. I understand the sentiment on both sides of the argument and am leaning toward 1971's position but if there is someone else out there who can help turn the ship around then I am all for it.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I don't know the man, and again I'll be the only guy who will say it but if Mike is involved in an organization that cannot regularly attract over 15k fans I don't think he is the man for the job. So, either he is rowing against the tide and his own organization or he is just on the football side and attendance isn't his area, I would still have a problem with this. Same goes for Cui, he has been going in the right direction, but until that ship is righted under his watch, I couldn't recommend him either.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Everyone knows Mike’s story.

Born black and raised in the projects of Dunedin, FL to a single mom.
    Transformed himself into the epitome of success in pro sports and business through hard work.
    He’s a wonderful father & husband.
    As he says, he and his wife Diane are American by birth, Canadian by choice.

He brings a very unique background to a very difficult task. Having to deal with a diverse makeup including Board of Governors, owners, media, business partners, politicians, players and not to forget fans.

Mike truly is the embodiment of Rudyard Kipling’s poem “If.” Specifically:

“If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue, Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch.”