Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    No question the CFL Commissioner job is thankless, Uber-political and perhaps an impossible task to accomplish. Mike definitely isn’t the grovelling type either. Maybe he wouldn’t even last a month. But if there’s a chance he wanted to, and only took on the job on his terms, substantial progress could happen. Somebody’s gotta move the needle at CFL HQ.
    Somebody has to move the needle at Argos HQ first to get crowds where at least the team could be profitable. Sorry if I am going against most people's attitudes towards this but it is what it is.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Everyone knows Mike’s story.

Born black and raised in the projects of Dunedin, FL to a single mom.
    Transformed himself into the epitome of success in pro sports and business through hard work.
    He’s a wonderful father & husband.
    As he says, he and his wife Diane are American by birth, Canadian by choice.

He brings a very unique background to a very difficult task. Having to deal with a diverse makeup including Board of Governors, owners, media, business partners, politicians, players and not to forget fans.
    When I said I didn't know the man, I meant to meet him. I know the above story but because he is a good man doesn't mean he is the right man. I think the CFL commissionership has long been made up of good men: Gaudaur, Mitchell, Cohon and even Ambrosie. I was Ambrosie's biggest fan when he began, former player, successful businessman but he became political and wishy washy, that's not what the position needs, it needs an iron will and backbone and a willingness to be unpopular when difficult decisions arise.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    I don't know the man, and again I'll be the only guy who will say it but if Mike is involved in an organization that cannot regularly attract over 15k fans I don't think he is the man for the job. So, either he is rowing against the tide and his own organization or he is just on the football side and attendance isn't his area, I would still have a problem with this. Same goes for Cui, he has been going in the right direction, but until that ship is righted under his watch, I couldn't recommend him either.
    That’s a very good point, that I’ve thought about a lot. My conclusion is that if Mike was president for a reasonable period of time, I would concur. But as GM his job and influence is much more specific. Identifying, attracting talent that wins games and championships. From this perspective I’ve concluded a change at the top of the league and Mike has earned a shot.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    When I said I didn't know the man, I meant to meet him. I know the above story but because he is a good man doesn't mean he is the right man. I think the CFL commissionership has long been made up of good men: Gaudaur, Mitchell, Cohon and even Ambrosie. I was Ambrosie's biggest fan when he began, former player, successful businessman but he became political and wishy washy, that's not what the position needs, it needs an iron will and backbone and a willingness to be unpopular when difficult decisions arise.
    if you look back over five years ago on this thread, I argued vehemently against Ambrose’s selection for the reasons that turned out and at that time I made the same case to CFL BOG Chairman Jim Lawson and Argos BOG representative Dale Lastman. Even the, Mike was 5-0 with Grey Cups.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    if you look back over five years ago on this thread, I argued vehemently against Ambrose’s selection for the reasons that turned out and at that time I made the same case to CFL BOG Chairman Jim Lawson and Argos BOG representative Dale Lastman. Even the, Mike was 5-0 with Grey Cups.
    And the Argos have been 0-5 in everything else dragging down the league. The narrative being if the Argos are failing the league is failing.

I don't want to come across as a troll but most people who don't live in Toronto have a dislike for Toronto. But I want the Argos to do well because if they do well the league does well. Like it or not media and marketing for Canada is based in Toronto and when perceptions are bad for the Argos they are projected on the league.

Mike can put a football team together, that's great but can he put 27k people in BMO on a regular basis. Winning the Grey Cup left me feeling like Canada losing against Belgium, incomplete. Win the championship, but attract no crowds or put out a brilliant effort but still lose. Somebody has to fix that, if Mike's skills are transferable to being commissioner, let him fix the Argos' organization before attempting the league.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    And the Argos have been 0-5 in everything else dragging down the league. The narrative being if the Argos are failing the league is failing.

I don't want to come across as a troll but most people who don't live in Toronto have a dislike for Toronto. But I want the Argos to do well because if they do well the league does well. Like it or not media and marketing for Canada is based in Toronto and when perceptions are bad for the Argos they are projected on the league.

Mike can put a football team together, that's great but can he put 27k people in BMO on a regular basis. Winning the Grey Cup left me feeling like Canada losing against Belgium, incomplete. Win the championship, but attract no crowds or put out a brilliant effort but still lose. Somebody has to fix that, if Mike's skills are transferable to being commissioner, let him fix the Argos' organization before attempting the league.
    Of course, everyone is entitled to to their own opinion.

I am sure if I looked into Mike’s contract it doesn’t say win almost all the season games and championships AND raise the attendance. Eisenhower wasn’t told to win WWII AND do it in record time.

People outside Toronto do dislike Toronto, but I assure you all Canadians know and love “Pinball”. EVERYONE

I think if you gave “Pinball” the task to rebuild the fan base in Toronto too he’d do that. But he wasn’t given that task. We just asked him to win the GreyCup. Don’t move the bar afterwards.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    By the way, this thread is to start the discussion. Sadly I don’t think change is coming anytime soon. So, let’s move Mike to President and broaden his mandate and put him in charge of attendance too. I don’t think attendance was a real problem when he was president last time.

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    By the way, this thread is to start the discussion. Sadly I don’t think change is coming anytime soon. So, let’s move Mike to President and broaden his mandate and put him in charge of attendance too. I don’t think attendance was a real problem when he was president last time.
    When did he last serve as President?
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I think if you gave “Pinball” the task to rebuild the fan base in Toronto too he’d do that. But he wasn’t given that task. We just asked him to win the GreyCup. Don’t move the bar afterwards.
    Then let's give him that chance, why wouldn't an organization do that. If he's your best man give him the shot at making the team profitable. I'm not blaming Mike for the attendance, I get that wasn't his job, but before giving him the domain over the rest of us (the league) give him the tools and let him "fix" his backyard first.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I don’t think attendance was a real problem when he was president last time.
    And the Argos are the biggest proof that times (and the market) have changed. When every team in the league can average 24k (Ott, Ham, Mtl capacity) or over and be profitable we'd all be amazed how many league problems would disappear.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    When did he last serve as President?
    2001-2002 and took over a HC

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Today Pinball made a very compelling case to be promoted to president and build a dynasty in Toronto. Sweeeet Spot!

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    2001-2002 and took over a HC
    Attendance wasn't great at the time although it was 100% not Pinball's fault
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:

Level
    Somebody has to move the needle at Argos HQ first to get crowds where at least the team could be profitable. Sorry if I am going against most people's attitudes towards this but it is what it is.
    This statement is true. But IMO, the solution is financial to a large degree. Doesn't matter who gets installed as President, if that person does not have a sufficient enough of a budget to really market the team and move that needle as you say. My future daughter-in-law works in marketing and having come to games with my son, has developed some strong opinions about what could be done to turn things around. But some of these will take money... and time. I am really befuddled that MLSE won't spend a bit more- and be strategic about it- to improve game day attendance, and thus improve profitability, when they seem to have no qualms about throwing money around in other areas of the company. How much money did the Leafs pay David Clarkson NOT to play. There was also a Raptors player, whose name I forget, who was in same position. They paid millions never expecting him to set foot on the court. That is what is so frustrating for me.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    And that sums up the frustration and why you see conspiracy theories . Why would you want to lose 6 million a year when you could spend maybe a million more and break even. And the worst part is there is no engagement. People ask these questions in forums and no company rep will come on and at least explain their side. Someone had to direct me to an interview saying some of the good things they were doing, was it publicized here, at one of the few Argo fansites? I actually have to beg for an Argo rep to tell me I'm wrong and correct me. And it hasn't happened yet.

If MLSE is such a great company as they seem to think they are, you would think: 1. They would consider the Argos a challenge to their mass marketing skills or 2 At least be humiliated by the shit job they have done at not moving the needle after so many years. No one is asking for 80k people, just 25k in a 5 million market area. A rookie, Doman has come in and done more in one year than their media conglomerate has done in a decade. Gary Stern's rambling tweets have probably done better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    And that sums up the frustration and why you see conspiracy theories . Why would you want to lose 6 million a year when you could spend maybe a million more and break even.
    I think it's highly unlikely that spending an additional $1M on marketing would yield a 700% return. I wish it were otherwise, but if the Argos really are losing $6M per year, I'm pretty sure it would take a lot more than an additional $1M in spending to get them to break even (and of course the hill to climb would grow by whatever amount of additional spending takes place).

MLSE is less interested in turning an operating profit on its properties than in growing their enterprise value. How much spending would have to take place, and how much new revenue would have to be generated, to turn the Argos from a property worth maybe the same $5M it reportedly sold for more than once in the past, to a property worth ten times that?
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    And that sums up the frustration and why you see conspiracy theories . Why would you want to lose 6 million a year when you could spend maybe a million more and break even. And the worst part is there is no engagement. People ask these questions in forums and no company rep will come on and at least explain their side. Someone had to direct me to an interview saying some of the good things they were doing, was it publicized here, at one of the few Argo fansites? I actually have to beg for an Argo rep to tell me I'm wrong and correct me. And it hasn't happened yet.

If MLSE is such a great company as they seem to think they are, you would think: 1. They would consider the Argos a challenge to their mass marketing skills or 2 At least be humiliated by the shit job they have done at not moving the needle after so many years. No one is asking for 80k people, just 25k in a 5 million market area. A rookie, Doman has come in and done more in one year than their media conglomerate has done in a decade. Gary Stern's rambling tweets have probably done better
    Yep - shows how gutless and useless MLSE are on anything Argos.

And again - accuse me of putting on a tin-foil hat - but, sorry, can't shake the idea that MLSE and Larry buying into the Argos was nothing to do with wanting to see the Argos and the CFL succeed in the GTA and overall, but more to have some control of pro gridiron football in the area to further their never ending love & quest for getting an American pro football team (NFL crack-pipe dream still going; XFL, USFL, whatever Mickey Mouse league is looking hip at the time). Of course they would never answer that question, but we'll see what happens with the Argos future, and maybe sooner than later.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I think it's highly unlikely that spending an additional $1M on marketing would yield a 700% return. I wish it were otherwise, but if the Argos really are losing $6M per year,
    MLSE is less interested in turning an operating profit on its properties than in growing their enterprise value.
    I didn't mean for one million to be taken literally as for their losses haven't they ranged from 6-12 million?

You're right about the enterprise value but WTF were they thinking when they bought the team? Did they think a CFL team would be worth 150 million? Or (insert conspiracy theory) did they figure someday they would tie in with an NFL wannabe league.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    And again - accuse me of putting on a tin-foil hat - but, sorry, can't shake the idea that MLSE and Larry buying into the Argos was nothing to do with wanting to see the Argos and the CFL succeed in the GTA and overall, but more to have some control of pro gridiron football in the area to further their never ending love & quest for getting an American pro football team (NFL crack-pipe dream still going; XFL, USFL, whatever Mickey Mouse league is looking hip at the time). Of course they would never answer that question, but we'll see what happens with the Argos future, and maybe sooner than later.
    They make it very difficult to think otherwise, especially with their stand on XFL. Thank God for the other owners.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    They make it very difficult to think otherwise, especially with their stand on XFL. Thank God for the other owners.
    It's just not going to happen. I wouldn't lose sleep over it. The only reason why a merger was even suggested is because the CFL was on hiatus.