Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Amen Angelo. Mike’s got huge shoulders too. I’d love for him to stay on with the Argos and get promoted to President. That would be the next logical step that he’s deserved. Selfish on my part.

But Mike being 7-0, I’d love to give him the choice of roles. At the Grey Cup Randy was booed by a large contingent of CFL fans. Not good for the league.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Amen Angelo. Mike’s got huge shoulders too. I’d love for him to stay on with the Argos and get promoted to President. That would be the next logical step that he’s deserved. Selfish on my part.

But Mike being 7-0, I’d love to give him the choice of roles. At the Grey Cup Randy was booed by a large contingent of CFL fans. Not good for the league.
    I agree. I want a change of commissioner too. Selfishly, I want Pinner to run the Argos for as long as possible. Hopefully sooner rather than later as President.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 338
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    A big part of Pinball's success as a GM is his ability to attract talent, and to get otherwise unfocused or hot-headed players to buy into the team philosophy. This has been extremely valuable for the Argos.

I hope he continues as GM.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    A big part of Pinball's success as a GM is his ability to attract talent, and to get otherwise unfocused or hot-headed players to buy into the team philosophy. This has been extremely valuable for the Argos.

This and I feel that the commissioner's position comes with a significant amount of politics which is something I would prefer Pinball stay away from.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I’d like to give Mike the choice on that one.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I’d like to give Mike the choice on that one.
    Of course it's his choice, but the purpose of a discussion board is to allow people to give their own two cents.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    This and I feel that the commissioner's position comes with a significant amount of politics which is something I would prefer Pinball stay away from.
    I’d like to Mike the choice.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post

Excellent point about attracting unorthodox players!

Maybe Mike’s biggest strength is implementing his “vision”, whether it’s at the individual level or organizational level. Something that I think has been missing at the leagues level” for quite a while.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    At the Grey Cup Randy was booed by a large contingent of CFL fans. Not good for the league.
    That shouldn't be shocking.... look at what happens anytime Gary Bettman or Roger Goodell get near a crowd. The other commissioners as well, to a lesser extent. That part is a reality in most sports and comes with the territory. Unfortunately, as a Commissioner, your primary loyalty will have to be to the league's owners, and that doesn't necessarily coincide with what is best for fans. Sad but true. For that reason alone, I would not wish this on Pinball, as intriguing an idea as it is. He shouldn't have to shovel that kind of shiite, and like Will has said above, too much politics involved.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    No question the CFL Commissioner job is thankless, Uber-political and perhaps an impossible task to accomplish. Mike definitely isn’t the grovelling type either. Maybe he wouldn’t even last a month. But if there’s a chance he wanted to, and only took on the job on his terms, substantial progress could happen. Somebody’s gotta move the needle at CFL HQ.

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    No question the CFL Commissioner job is thankless, Uber-political and perhaps an impossible task to accomplish. Mike definitely isn’t the grovelling type either. Maybe he wouldn’t even last a month. But if there’s a chance he wanted to, and only took on the job on his terms, substantial progress could happen. Somebody’s gotta move the needle at CFL HQ.
    Somebody has to move the needle at Argos HQ first to get crowds where at least the team could be profitable. Sorry if I am going against most people's attitudes towards this but it is what it is.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    Somebody has to move the needle at Argos HQ first to get crowds where at least the team could be profitable. Sorry if I am going against most people's attitudes towards this but it is what it is.
    This statement is true. But IMO, the solution is financial to a large degree. Doesn't matter who gets installed as President, if that person does not have a sufficient enough of a budget to really market the team and move that needle as you say. My future daughter-in-law works in marketing and having come to games with my son, has developed some strong opinions about what could be done to turn things around. But some of these will take money... and time. I am really befuddled that MLSE won't spend a bit more- and be strategic about it- to improve game day attendance, and thus improve profitability, when they seem to have no qualms about throwing money around in other areas of the company. How much money did the Leafs pay David Clarkson NOT to play. There was also a Raptors player, whose name I forget, who was in same position. They paid millions never expecting him to set foot on the court. That is what is so frustrating for me.