Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 591
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Everyone knows Mike’s story.

Born black and raised in the projects of Dunedin, FL to a single mom.
    Transformed himself into the epitome of success in pro sports and business through hard work.
    He’s a wonderful father & husband.
    As he says, he and his wife Diane are American by birth, Canadian by choice.

He brings a very unique background to a very difficult task. Having to deal with a diverse makeup including Board of Governors, owners, media, business partners, politicians, players and not to forget fans.

Mike truly is the embodiment of Rudyard Kipling’s poem “If.” Specifically:

“If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue, Or walk with Kings—nor lose the common touch.”

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by 1971GreyCup View Post
    Everyone knows Mike’s story.

Born black and raised in the projects of Dunedin, FL to a single mom.
    Transformed himself into the epitome of success in pro sports and business through hard work.
    He’s a wonderful father & husband.
    As he says, he and his wife Diane are American by birth, Canadian by choice.

He brings a very unique background to a very difficult task. Having to deal with a diverse makeup including Board of Governors, owners, media, business partners, politicians, players and not to forget fans.
    When I said I didn't know the man, I meant to meet him. I know the above story but because he is a good man doesn't mean he is the right man. I think the CFL commissionership has long been made up of good men: Gaudaur, Mitchell, Cohon and even Ambrosie. I was Ambrosie's biggest fan when he began, former player, successful businessman but he became political and wishy washy, that's not what the position needs, it needs an iron will and backbone and a willingness to be unpopular when difficult decisions arise.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    When I said I didn't know the man, I meant to meet him. I know the above story but because he is a good man doesn't mean he is the right man. I think the CFL commissionership has long been made up of good men: Gaudaur, Mitchell, Cohon and even Ambrosie. I was Ambrosie's biggest fan when he began, former player, successful businessman but he became political and wishy washy, that's not what the position needs, it needs an iron will and backbone and a willingness to be unpopular when difficult decisions arise.
    if you look back over five years ago on this thread, I argued vehemently against Ambrose’s selection for the reasons that turned out and at that time I made the same case to CFL BOG Chairman Jim Lawson and Argos BOG representative Dale Lastman. Even the, Mike was 5-0 with Grey Cups.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    if you look back over five years ago on this thread, I argued vehemently against Ambrose’s selection for the reasons that turned out and at that time I made the same case to CFL BOG Chairman Jim Lawson and Argos BOG representative Dale Lastman. Even the, Mike was 5-0 with Grey Cups.
    And the Argos have been 0-5 in everything else dragging down the league. The narrative being if the Argos are failing the league is failing.

I don't want to come across as a troll but most people who don't live in Toronto have a dislike for Toronto. But I want the Argos to do well because if they do well the league does well. Like it or not media and marketing for Canada is based in Toronto and when perceptions are bad for the Argos they are projected on the league.

Mike can put a football team together, that's great but can he put 27k people in BMO on a regular basis. Winning the Grey Cup left me feeling like Canada losing against Belgium, incomplete. Win the championship, but attract no crowds or put out a brilliant effort but still lose. Somebody has to fix that, if Mike's skills are transferable to being commissioner, let him fix the Argos' organization before attempting the league.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    And the Argos have been 0-5 in everything else dragging down the league. The narrative being if the Argos are failing the league is failing.

I don't want to come across as a troll but most people who don't live in Toronto have a dislike for Toronto. But I want the Argos to do well because if they do well the league does well. Like it or not media and marketing for Canada is based in Toronto and when perceptions are bad for the Argos they are projected on the league.

Mike can put a football team together, that's great but can he put 27k people in BMO on a regular basis. Winning the Grey Cup left me feeling like Canada losing against Belgium, incomplete. Win the championship, but attract no crowds or put out a brilliant effort but still lose. Somebody has to fix that, if Mike's skills are transferable to being commissioner, let him fix the Argos' organization before attempting the league.
    Of course, everyone is entitled to to their own opinion.

I am sure if I looked into Mike’s contract it doesn’t say win almost all the season games and championships AND raise the attendance. Eisenhower wasn’t told to win WWII AND do it in record time.

People outside Toronto do dislike Toronto, but I assure you all Canadians know and love “Pinball”. EVERYONE

I think if you gave “Pinball” the task to rebuild the fan base in Toronto too he’d do that. But he wasn’t given that task. We just asked him to win the GreyCup. Don’t move the bar afterwards.
    “it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    I think if you gave “Pinball” the task to rebuild the fan base in Toronto too he’d do that. But he wasn’t given that task. We just asked him to win the GreyCup. Don’t move the bar afterwards.
    Then let's give him that chance, why wouldn't an organization do that. If he's your best man give him the shot at making the team profitable. I'm not blaming Mike for the attendance, I get that wasn't his job, but before giving him the domain over the rest of us (the league) give him the tools and let him "fix" his backyard first.