Closed Thread
Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Another good signing by the World Champions.

https://3downnation.com/2023/02/09/t...rin-orimolade/
    Not sure if Davis' time is done but I think its definitely time to replace Shane Ray
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Not sure if Davis' time is done but I think its definitely time to replace Shane Ray
    I suspect that Davis will have to take a pay cut wherever he ends up. I wouldn't mind seeing Ray get another season with the Argos. He played quite well in 2022 before his season-ending injury.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Boatman
    Level completed: 95%, Points required for next Level: 17
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I also would like to see Ray back... he had another tryout with KC this offseason.

I think if he is not asking silly money they will bring him back

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Orimolade is a good DE (though maybe a tad over-rated by the TSN types); and J. Davis was a top notch CFL DE for a number of seasons, but I thought he just did not look as strong as before on the Argo D last season (GC good luck charm still though) - maybe getting on in mileage? Shane Ray has flashed at least some good DE skills with the Argos, but not consistent and has had injury problems; and no way he should be getting more reps than Robbie Smiith anyhow. I think the Argos would be quite good with Smith & Orimolade as the main 2 DEs, but continue with lots of D-Line rotation; maybe Dionte Knight gets some reps there; or another current (like Ali Fayad - former MAC D player of the year) or new import DE in the mix; and there are a few good DE prospects up this draft. Do NOT over-pay for another known FA who is perhaps quite over-rated just because he got to play for another team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    The DE situation looks very promising for the Argos. Smith has proven to be a top notch player and should now be one of the DE starters. Orimolade looks like an exciting addition and will probably also be a DE starter. But, there is some very promising depth. Barlow looked very good when he came on strongly in the stretch run last season. Fayad has the talent and could develop into a good DE. Newly signed Tyree Johnson appears to have the athletic ability and speed that could put him into the mix as well. The knock against Johnson is his arms are too short for the NFL which shouldn't be a problem in the CFL. Knight didn't get much playing time last year but he does have excellent potential.

Davis played well last year but nowhere near the level expected at his pay level. Doubtful he will be back. Ray played very well last year but he just does not seem to be able to stay healthy. A healthy Ray would be an asset but it just doesn't seem to be in the cards.

Don
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    According to Justin Dunk, the deal with the Argonauts makes Orimolade the highest paid DE in the CFL. I'm a bit skittish given the Argos luck with signing defensive ends over the years.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    The trade for Williams and Orimolade signing: filling needs with talent and character works for me.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    According to Justin Dunk, the deal with the Argonauts makes Orimolade the highest paid DE in the CFL. I'm a bit skittish given the Argos luck with signing defensive ends over the years.
    I don't have much use for CFL $lalary gossip, but if that is true, IMO it's an example of what I talked about in recent posts - GMs paying way too much for known FAs just because they played somewhere else in the league ??? Orimoldade has flashed some good DE skills for the Stumps for sure, but it's hardly like he's a Cam Wake, Joe Montford or Jim Corrigal in their primes - and not even close - now those types in their primes might be worth paying huge or league top buck$ for.

Hoping the Argos take it easy on name FAs signings from here on in. Williams & Orimolade are good adds to the D; Harris returning at tailback (and even if Ouellette moves on, they have Adeboboye in the wings); a vet receiver might be a good add - but not Geno Lewis at outrageous league high money. Outside of the QB question mark, the Argos existing talent just won a GC - don't go clowning around over-paying for FAs for the sake of it.

Don
    Overall activity: 71.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I don't have much use for CFL $lalary gossip, but if that is true, IMO it's an example of what I talked about in recent posts - GMs paying way too much for known FAs just because they played somewhere else in the league ??? Orimoldade has flashed some good DE skills for the Stumps for sure, but it's hardly like he's a Cam Wake, Joe Montford or Jim Corrigal in their primes - and not even close - now those types in their primes might be worth paying huge or league top buck$ for.

Hoping the Argos take it easy on name FAs signings from here on in. Williams & Orimolade are good adds to the D; Harris returning at tailback (and even if Ouellette moves on, they have Adeboboye in the wings); a vet receiver might be a good add - but not Geno Lewis at outrageous league high money. Outside of the QB question mark, the Argos existing talent just won a GC - don't go clowning around over-paying for FAs for the sake of it.
    1. More or less my feelings on it (assuming its true), not necessarily that he played somewhere else in the league, but I don't know if he commands that type of salary YET.

2. I also would like the Argos to look a vet receiver. Perhaps a Rasheed Bailey or Reggie White, Jr.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    1. More or less my feelings on it (assuming its true), not necessarily that he played somewhere else in the league, but I don't know if he commands that type of salary YET.

2. I also would like the Argos to look a vet receiver. Perhaps a Rasheed Bailey or Reggie White, Jr.
    Big no to either of Bailey and especially White (who was replaced by a far superior receiver in Philpot last year for the Als - you know, a Canadian who you get in the draft and let play receiver); and please gawd no to Darvin dropsem' Adams; not many FA receivers out there I'd be that interested in with some of them demanding huge bucks supposedly (Tim White for the Ticats is quite good but not worth huge receiver bucks IMO). Rather recruit a couple of new import receivers for TC and/or draft a receiver prospect. Why not bring back Llevi Noel and let him play in the receiving corps plus do his good job of ST cover guy ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Big no to either of Bailey and especially White (who was replaced by a far superior receiver in Philpot last year for the Als - you know, a Canadian who you get in the draft and let play receiver); and please gawd no to Darvin dropsem' Adams; not many FA receivers out there I'd be that interested in with some of them demanding huge bucks supposedly (Tim White for the Ticats is quite good but not worth huge receiver bucks IMO). Rather recruit a couple of new import receivers for TC and/or draft a receiver prospect. Why not bring back Llevi Noel and let him play in the receiving corps plus do his good job of ST cover guy ?
    Llevi Noel is (or at least was) a great special teamer, but he hasn't made any type of meaningful contribution at receiver in this league since 2018, and has caught four passes in total the last two seasons. I think your sometimes-endearing nationalism has got the better of you on this one, OV.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 27
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The team has 3 very solid WRs in Gittens, Daniels and Phillips. Gittens is a young outstanding receiver, one of the best in the league and a Canadian to boot. Daniels had an excellent year with 860 yards and 108 yards in the Eastern final. Phillip really shone in the Grey Cup with 96 receiving yards, proving that he can perform in the big game.

The team has a plethora of potentially effective receivers. Coxie performed very well in the few games he played last year. Haydel and Hifo have speed and are especially promising performers. Remember Haydel scored a TD on a long kickoff return and Hifo ran 4.41 at his pro day. The newcomer Aaron Parker could be a real find. At 6'2" and 210 lbs he has the size and the athletic ability to succeed in this league. He gets good separation and is exceedingly adept at winning contested balls. Canadians Nield and Brisset could also have breakout years this season. Brisset has been slow to realize his potential but this could be the year he accomplishes it.

The talent is there and with any luck one or two of the above could become starters.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Llevi Noel is (or at least was) a great special teamer, but he hasn't made any type of meaningful contribution at receiver in this league since 2018, and has caught four passes in total the last two seasons. I think your sometimes-endearing nationalism has got the better of you on this one, OV.
    Quoting player stats for guys who didn't get to play much or at all is laughable - what did Eric Rogers do for the Argos last season? or the season before? or in 2020 when there was no season? = i guess he's a no or limited talent receiver ???. Noel went on to real dumb-@$$ offence teams who saw fit to play mediocres over him. He did put up a 47 catch / 500+ yard season for the Argos a few years back when he was given a shot to play (but not full time receiver reps); and he does not drop passes galore like Darvin Adams or Ambles types who get repeat CFL chances because of their birth certificate. Funny we get to see Manny Arcenaux recycled again & again in the CFL at his age? But maybe Llevi is old and washed-up now ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quoting player stats for guys who didn't get to play much or at all is laughable - what did Eric Rogers do for the Argos last season? or the season before? or in 2020 when there was no season? = i guess he's a no or limited talent receiver ???. Noel went on to real dumb-@$$ offence teams who saw fit to play mediocres over him. He did put up a 47 catch / 500+ yard season for the Argos a few years back when he was given a shot to play (but not full time receiver reps); and he does not drop passes galore like Darvin Adams or Ambles types who get repeat CFL chances because of their birth certificate. Funny we get to see Manny Arcenaux recycled again & again in the CFL at his age? But maybe Llevi is old and washed-up now ?
    It was five years back, which I guess counts as "a few." And as it happens, I've been reviewing a lot of Argo games from 2018; he dropped his share of catchable passes that year. The guys you cite as getting repeat chances because of their birth certificates have all had much higher production than Noel, who unquestionably has been on CFL rosters because of his birth certificate. (I knew my response [and this one] would be like waving a red flag in front of a charging bull, I guess.)
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quoting player stats for guys who didn't get to play much or at all is laughable - what did Eric Rogers do for the Argos last season? or the season before? or in 2020 when there was no season? = i guess he's a no or limited talent receiver ???.
    For the record, Noel played 17 games last season, with one reception. He played four games in 2021, with three receptions. Rogers played one game last season, with three receptions. In 2021 he played six games, with 25 receptions.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    For the record, Noel played 17 games last season, with one reception. He played four games in 2021, with three receptions. Rogers played one game last season, with three receptions. In 2021 he played six games, with 25 receptions.
    Do I really have to explain the difference between dressing for games vs. actually being on the playing field on O or D ?; or the concept of targets resulting in catches for receivers ???

And if you can't grasp that a whole bunch of American players who have done not much or played average at best in LOTS of playing / starting time somehow "earn" repeat CFL chances based on their passport (getting to play at spots reserved for Americans only on the particular team and where Canadians get zero shot), then I really don't know what to say = let's not continue on this topic.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    One down / one to go
    AJ returns !!! Outstanding !

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Fantastic news and well deserved!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Fantastic news. Funny how so many of these great signings have been announced on Saturdays and Sundays. I hope Hogie and Balenovich are getting weekend diff.

Now I know Brescacin is too much to hope for, but Richardson and Lawrence sure would be great re-signs . . .

(And MBT/Muamba, of course. but they've earned however much time they need to take to figure out what comes next.)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 86%, Points required for next Level: 144
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    3 Down Nation reports that Justin Lawrence, who filled in admirably at C last season for the Grey Cup Champion Toronto Argonauts has agreed to terms on a contract with the Montreal Alouettes.