Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 977
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Argo draft pick O-lineman Sage Doxtator signs with Houston of the XFL, after failing to stick in the NFL.
    I posted that information in my XFL 3.0 thread earlier this afternoon. OV posting this here confirms what I already suspected….that no one reads my XFL/USFL threads!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I posted that information in my XFL 3.0 thread earlier this afternoon. OV posting this here confirms what I already suspected….that no one reads my XFL/USFL threads!
    I'm interested; will check it out in the future.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm interested; will check it out in the future.
    Oh trust me OV…..it lacks interesting content!

But back to Doxtator, I get why he went to the XFL. If he comes to Toronto he knows he won’t see much of the field, with the XFL his chances of actually playing and getting game tape to the NFL is much greater.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Oh trust me OV…..it lacks interesting content!

But back to Doxtator, I get why he went to the XFL. If he comes to Toronto he knows he won’t see much of the field, with the XFL his chances of actually playing and getting game tape to the NFL is much greater.
    Maybe; seems to me the Argos could have openings at OT though; maybe he's not interested in CFL minimum wage that Canadian draft picks are restricted to ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 390
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    It is disappointing Doxtator went to the XFL rather than sign with the Argos. But it is understandable as it appears he has the NFL in his sights and considers the XFL more likely to lead to an NFL opportunity. I'm not sure that is true but Doxtator obviously believes it to be so. If he had signed with the Argos, it is difficult to see him getting a lot of playing time in his first year. It is highly unlikely he would replace Allen at LT or Bladek and Hunter at G and certainly not Nicastro at C. That leave LT where he would have to compete against Cage and quite possibly Blake. It should also be noted there has been some question about Doxtator's mobility to play Tackle and he might be better suited to play Guard.

As a backup he would have to beat out one of Mackellar, Richards, Giffen, Churchill and maybe even free agent Lawrence. Doxtator could likely to be a project and perhaps some time in the XFL might develop him for a future CFL role.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    This may be a little off topic but has anyone heard when the CFL Scouting Bureau's Winter Top 20 Draft Prospects Ranking might be published?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    It is disappointing Doxtator went to the XFL rather than sign with the Argos. But it is understandable as it appears he has the NFL in his sights and considers the XFL more likely to lead to an NFL opportunity. I'm not sure that is true but Doxtator obviously believes it to be so.
    Aside from the fact that Doxtator will not have to compete against established vets, anyone who signs in the XFL is eligible to play in the NFL in 2023. If he came to the CFL he'd be waiting until 2024 for his earliest possible NFL opportunity. This reality (which also applies to the USFL) is going to cause a massive recruiting problem for all CFL teams.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    I’m starting to wonder about Chad Kelly, he’s under contract with the Argos for 2023 and is pontificating on how great it would be to play for the Riders.
    I have no issue with his desire to play down south but he doesn’t seem to know how to STFU.

https://3downnation.com/2023/01/22/i...s-as-good-fit/
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I’m starting to wonder about Chad Kelly, he’s under contract with the Argos for 2023 and is pontificating on how great it would be to play for the Riders.
    I have no issue with his desire to play down south but he doesn’t seem to know how to STFU.

My suggestion to Mr Kelly…fulfill your contract, report to Argos TC and earn the starting job. Simple. I think he would immediately regret playing in Regina for a lame duck HC behind a porous O line with an OC who was a 5th choice hire. Be patient, you have a great future in Toronto.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    My suggestion to Mr Kelly…fulfill your contract, report to Argos TC and earn the starting job. Simple. I think he would immediately regret playing in Regina for a lame duck HC behind a porous O line with an OC who was a 5th choice hire. Be patient, you have a great future in Toronto.
    Sound advise Dean!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post

Starting to get annoying. Every time he speaks, he gets the clicks (confirmed by 3DN). He wants to start and play and at 28 I guess it is now or never. But that should be the job of his agent. If Argos want him as a backup, agent can try to work a sign and trade with a team that would start him. Rather than publicly gush over the Riders while being an Argo and stating "Toronto is the only place I want to play" in the past.

The NFL talk doesn't bother me as much because as an American, that was his dream and that is also what American media wants to hear and they could set him up with that chatter with the kind of questions they ask him.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 99.2%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Did you guys listen to the interview?

Chad Kelly never acknowledged any trade speculation at all. The host brought up the Riders and then abruptly asked Kelly if he was ready to start. Of course he would say yes in that situation.

On playing for the Riders hypothetically, he said "they have the best fans, I guess," and the last thing he said in the interview was "Go Argos."

That article was complete click bait and after hearing the interview, I'm not buying it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    Did you guys listen to the interview?

Chad Kelly never acknowledged any trade speculation at all. The host brought up the Riders and then abruptly asked Kelly if he was ready to start. Of course he would say yes in that situation.

On playing for the Riders hypothetically, he said "they have the best fans, I guess," and the last thing he said in the interview was "Go Argos."

That article was complete click bait and after hearing the interview, I'm not buying it.
    You are in fact 100% correct.
    Reading the article only is in fact very misleading, 3Down manipulating the interview to create a false narrative.
    Listening to it gives proper context to Kelly’s answers.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    This may be a little off topic but has anyone heard when the CFL Scouting Bureau's Winter Top 20 Draft Prospects Ranking might be published?
    Should be soon i think.

Good crop of NCAA ball Canucks this draft, but problem is - a bunch of them are going to draw some NFL interest; maybe not a real deep crop of U Sports guys, but a few real good ones IMO; but some can defer (Covid rules), and the 2 top rated UBC O-linemen have already chose to do so.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Should be soon i think.

Good crop of NCAA ball Canucks this draft, but problem is - a bunch of them are going to draw some NFL interest; maybe not a real deep crop of U Sports guys, but a few real good ones IMO; but some can defer (Covid rules), and the 2 top rated UBC O-linemen have already chose to do so.
    I will be interested to see if Clark Barnes (Guelph) will still be available by the 9th choice. One of his team mates (actually one of my grandsons) confirms the reports of his exceptional speed being legitimate. At 6' 1" and 195 lbs he could be an excellent backup to Metchie as he works his way into a starter's role. That is, if he is still available at 9 and he doesn't attract NFL interest.

Boatman
    Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 157
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I will be interested to see if Clark Barnes (Guelph) will still be available by the 9th choice. One of his team mates (actually one of my grandsons) confirms the reports of his exceptional speed being legitimate. At 6' 1" and 195 lbs he could be an excellent backup to Metchie as he works his way into a starter's role. That is, if he is still available at 9 and he doesn't attract NFL interest.
    Barnes has done enough to justify a NFL mini-camp invite.I don't think you will see him this season.There are at least 15 guys who will end up either NFL draftees or UDFA's.The USports top tier guys(Masterson, Murphy, Grohovac, Martin, Taylor, Etc..) could add to that number. I'm hoping Pinball can get DL Kail Dava(Tennessee Tech)and DB Patrick Burke(Laurier) with the first 2 picks.
    Last edited by SkalbaniasGhost; 01-22-2023 at 11:33 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by SkalbaniasGhost View Post
    Barnes has done enough to justify a NFL mini-camp invite.I don't think you will see him this season.There are at least 15 guys who will end up either NFL draftees or UDFA's.The USports top tier guys(Masterson, Murphy, Grohovac, Martin, Taylor, Etc..) could add to that number. I'm hoping Pinball can get DL Kail Dava(Tennessee Tech)and DB Patrick Burke(Laurier) with the first 2 picks.
    Barnes had a very disappointing season last year for such a top rated prospect - guess he was injured some (played only 4 games)?, plus Guelph went with a new American QB who did not fare well (barely 50% completion rate).

Argos have a lot of Canadian talent across the roster; but i guess receiver could be a way to go (Brescacin unwanted and a write-off); new guy could compete with Nield & Brissett for roster / playing time; Barnes & Jeremy Murphy were both down at that US all-star testing event (report by Abbott over at 3 Down - he's a bit condescending towards Canadian U Sport talent at times, but gotta give him credit for going down to the event and reporting on it); saw Murphy play a bit last season and was very impressed. Still love to see the Argos take Western RB Keon Edwards, even with 1st pick if need be; most explosive RB out of U Sports ball in a long-time perhaps IMO (maybe going back to Jesse Lumsden) ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Still love to see the Argos take Western RB Keon Edwards, even with 1st pick if need be; most explosive RB out of U Sports ball in a long-time perhaps IMO (maybe going back to Jesse Lumsden) ?
    If he's that promising, surely he will get NFL looks (as Lumsden did)? Worth a No. 1 pick on a guy who likely won't show up for a while, if ever? We had to wait four years for Hunter, and I'm still amazed he even bothered to come up here.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Aside from the fact that Doxtator will not have to compete against established vets, anyone who signs in the XFL is eligible to play in the NFL in 2023. If he came to the CFL he'd be waiting until 2024 for his earliest possible NFL opportunity. This reality (which also applies to the USFL) is going to cause a massive recruiting problem for all CFL teams.
    Which is why the league seriously needs to consider changing the amount of Americans on the roster. If I ran the league, I would have game day rosters set up as follows: 16 Internationals, 24 Nationals and 3 QB’s. I would scrap the global initiative and declare any football player with no NCAA experience as a National. This would guarantee 7 national starters and any back up in this scenario would be a national (unless a team started more than 7) It would also likely make the Internationals more valuable and therefore starting international players would likely not get paid less than back up nationals. Win win for everyone.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    If he's that promising, surely he will get NFL looks (as Lumsden did)? Worth a No. 1 pick on a guy who likely won't show up for a while, if ever? We had to wait four years for Hunter, and I'm still amazed he even bothered to come up here.
    He might only be that promising in my IMO; his numbers at Western are outstanding, and he's a real big back - listed at 230 - as Lumsden was, but not sure if he has near the blazing speed that Lumsden did - that 40 time, plus getting to play in the US Shrine all-star game (where he had some real nice runs), might have got Jesse that NFL look. Have heard next to no recognition yet for Edwards being a top draft prospect for this spring (pretty sure he will be eligible unless he was allowed to defer?) - but early yet, and not much CFL draft talk at this point - the Combine stirs things up there. IF he does not much draw much notice, he might be able to get with a mid to later round pick ?