Closed Thread
Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 946
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    According to CFL Newshub, the Argos have signed FA QB Bryan Scott formerly of the USFL and a recent TC cut of the Vegas Vipers of the XFL, unable to unseat Brett Hundley and Luis Perez.

New Fan
    Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 185
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    This one was unexpected: Argos bring back Dontrelle Inman, 10 years after he left the CFL. Interesting move, would love to see it become a feel-good story.
    Dontrelle was a good player here. After earning $7.5 million in the NFL wants to finish up back where his pro career began. I hope he still has gas in the tank. Would love to see him contribute and do well. He had a definite connection with Ricky Ray.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I think it's amazing Dontrelle Inman wants to come back to the CFL after a successful NFL career. I wish more Canadian born players who go to the NFL would finish their careers in Canada. I know their bodies take a pounding, but it would be a great way to give back to the football system that gave them an opportunity to earn millions.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    I think it's amazing Dontrelle Inman wants to come back to the CFL after a successful NFL career. I wish more Canadian born players who go to the NFL would finish their careers in Canada. I know their bodies take a pounding, but it would be a great way to give back to the football system that gave them an opportunity to earn millions.
    Inman is American.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    A couple of interesting signings. Inman has been an outstanding receiver in his time but after 2 years of inactivity and now 34, does he still have the ability to be a good receiver for the Argos? With Scott, are we getting the QB that was so highly praised by previous coaches or the QB who was released by his XFL team because he underperformed in training camp?

I guess only time will tell.

Boatman
    Level completed: 90%, Points required for next Level: 21
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    The CFL is so backward in their CBA they have specified entry level deals for those who qualify as "Canadians" to sign entry level 3 year deals which I believe to be the league mininium. The Argos ran into this very issue, with TJ Jones whom they signed to a 150k/year contract only to be turned back by the League who refused to ratify it.

Inexplicably, the issue was never resolved; and the Argos shelved the deal. Blame the CFL for not allowing such an avenue to come back to Canada and contribute back to the system.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Inman is American.
    Yes, I was just noting it would be good if a higher number of Canadians playing down south would come up here and finish their careers.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilz View Post
    The CFL is so backward in their CBA they have specified entry level deals for those who qualify as "Canadians" to sign entry level 3 year deals which I believe to be the league mininium. The Argos ran into this very issue, with TJ Jones whom they signed to a 150k/year contract only to be turned back by the League who refused to ratify it.

Inexplicably, the issue was never resolved; and the Argos shelved the deal. Blame the CFL for not allowing such an avenue to come back to Canada and contribute back to the system.
    The league should want as many Canadians coming back here. It's great PR. So many American players talk about how great the CFL is compared to the NFL. I would love to see each team to be able to keep one Canadian salary off of their cap, allowing players like Nathan Rourke to stay here longer.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilz View Post

I'm pretty sure the most recent CBA changed this to recognize NFL seasons, so that if a guy like Jones were to come up now, he would not be held to the rookie-NAT minimums. Unfortunately this deal was reached a year too late to get Jones here.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    It looks as if Fayad lost out to the competition. The team presently has Smith, Barlow and Knight on the roster and have also added Orimolade, Costigan and Tyree Johnson. It was probably telling that the team chose to dress Barlow in the playoffs but not Fayad. I wonder if Ray has indicated he might return to the team?
    From what I understand, Fayad asked for and was granted his release. Apparently wants to be closer to home and with the money being fairly equal after the exchange and taxes from a rookie CFL deal, hard to blame him.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    From what I understand, Fayad asked for and was granted his release. Apparently wants to be closer to home and with the money being fairly equal after the exchange and taxes from a rookie CFL deal, hard to blame him.
    Probably a good decision by Fayad. With stiff competition at DE, he would not likely have made the active roster. Getting his release now, allows him to start looking into opportunities as soon as possible. It is gratifying to see the team giving him his requested release. Classy move. Wish him all the best in his future football endeavours.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    With Scott, are we getting the QB that was so highly praised by previous coaches or the QB who was released by his XFL team because he underperformed in training camp?
    I’d never heard of Scott before, but he’s an interesting prospect. I’m always intrigued by MVP/Champion-type Div III QBs. In 2012 Jim Barker pulled one of those out named Trevor Harris. Scott has the same build and game style as Chad Kelly, which was I suppose the main point. But the fact Scott also has some CFL experience is a huge plus.

I notice Montreal signed QB Mike Glass III, who was on the Argonauts neg list for a couple of years. Why did we let him go? He was a 2 year starter in Div I at Eastern Mich and only 25. Given a choice I woulda taken him over Scott, but I have faith in Jimmy B, and there’s at least two more new QBs he’ll be dishing up anyway.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    The Bryan Scott acquisition does not excite me in the least. His CFL experience consists of 1 month in Lions TC in 2017 before being released. I wouldn’t count his Edmonton stint since it was in 2020 when the season was cancelled. Very concerned to see failed US Spring league QBs such as Scott, Shea Patterson and briefly Vad Lee (Lions just cut him after about a month) coming up north while losing 2 2022 high calibre CFL QBs to the US. I just don’t view that as good for the league.

Bottom line, this signing does not address the need for a #2 QB to compete with Kelly.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 61%, Points required for next Level: 198
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Bottom line, this signing does not address the need for a #2 QB to compete with Kelly.
    You'd suppose at this point that Ben Holmes has the inside lane to get the QB2 spot.

Agree that Bryan Scott seems more of a guy to have behind the starter and backup. Need at least another of those.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    The Bryan Scott acquisition does not excite me in the least. His CFL experience consists of 1 month in Lions TC in 2017 before being released. I wouldn’t count his Edmonton stint since it was in 2020 when the season was cancelled. Very concerned to see failed US Spring league QBs such as Scott, Shea Patterson and briefly Vad Lee (Lions just cut him after about a month) coming up north while losing 2 2022 high calibre CFL QBs to the US. I just don’t view that as good for the league.

Neither does Antonio Pipkin or Dakota Prukop.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:

Level

It’s a little early to conclude the guy’s a stiff. His familiarity with CFL camps and CFL rules is not an insignificant factor at this point.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It’s a little early to conclude the guy’s a stiff. His familiarity with CFL camps and CFL rules is not an insignificant factor at this point.
    LOL ! - familiarity with the Canadian game eh? The GOB "scouting" system in full swing.

He's a QB who started in college ball ( Div II Occidental - where Joe Paopao's son once played QB - leading the Renegades to draft him = a CFL GOB classic); the Argos need QB competition for TC, and the guy might surprise and prove a good QB talent. IF a few better QB prospects are found coming into TC then bring them on and maybe Scott doesn't even make it to TC, but for now, he's something at least. Lack of any proven or good old CFL "experienced" QBs should mean 5 to 7 QBs for the start of camp, IMO; unless the Argos offensive coaches are afraid of their ability to evaluate young QBs by actually watching them preform up close and personal.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 03-02-2023 at 12:11 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    LOL ! - familiarity with the Canadian game eh? The GOB "scouting" system in full swing.

He's a QB who started in college ball ( Div II Occidental - where Joe Paopao's son once played QB - leading the Renegades to draft him = a CFL GOB classic); the Argos need QB competition for TC, and the guy might surprise and prove a good QB talent. IF a few better QB prospects are found coming into TC then bring them on and maybe Scott doesn't even make it to TC, but for now, he's something at least. Lack of any proven or good old CFL "experienced" QBs should mean 5 to 7 QBs for the start of camp, IMO; unless the Argos offensive coaches are afraid of their ability to evaluate young QBs by actually watching them preform up close and personal.
    OV…Did Tyler Poapoa ever report to Ottawa? I do recall him getting drafted back then.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:

Level
    OV…Did Tyler Poapoa ever report to Ottawa? I do recall him getting drafted back then.
    I think so but not certain; recall a joke by Joe saying his son could cut the grass for him while he was around. LOL

Meanwhile, in the period between these 2 Occidental QBs getting CFL calls, the number of outstanding CIS / U Sports QBs who have been totally ignored, dismissed & dissed by the GOBs for any CFL look, is ample; and this is sickening IMO.