Closed Thread
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 99.2%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    As much as I would hate to see Kelly go, I can't blame someone for wanting to play for more money in their home country.

As for him thinking he's the best, who cares? He's a young athlete. I would be more concerned if Argo players didn't think they were the best.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Not sure if this fits in this theme but the new ratio rules may have an impact on recruiting and even the draft. I suspect CFL teams may struggle on how to manage the new ratio. Simple put:
    1) Teams must start 8 Canadians, up from 7.
    2) A veteran American (3 years with team or 5 years in league) can play as a Canadian
    3) 2 American veterans, 1 on offense and 1 on defense, can replace a Canadian up tp 49% of the snaps in a game.
    4) 2 teams which play "real" Canadians the most in 2023, will get an additional 2rd round choice in the 2024 draft.

A cursory look at the Argo potential roster shows 6 or 7 players meet the criteria for being an American veteran. This would allow Cage to play left OT as a Canadian. There a many unanswered questions re. the new ratio--for example--what counts as playing for a year?

Anyone have any views on how the Argos may manage the new ratio rules? It is a bit of a guessing game at the moment but it makes for an interesting discussion.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Not sure if this fits in this theme but the new ratio rules may have an impact on recruiting and even the draft. I suspect CFL teams may struggle on how to manage the new ratio. Simple put:
    1) Teams must start 8 Canadians, up from 7.
    2) A veteran American (3 years with team or 5 years in league) can play as a Canadian
    3) 2 American veterans, 1 on offense and 1 on defense, can replace a Canadian up tp 49% of the snaps in a game.
    4) 2 teams which play "real" Canadians the most in 2023, will get an additional 2rd round choice in the 2024 draft.

A cursory look at the Argo potential roster shows 6 or 7 players meet the criteria for being an American veteran. This would allow Cage to play left OT as a Canadian. There a many unanswered questions re. the new ratio--for example--what counts as playing for a year?

Anyone have any views on how the Argos may manage the new ratio rules? It is a bit of a guessing game at the moment but it makes for an interesting discussion.
    Not 100% sure if Cage would qualify based on number of games he has actually dressed for. Admittedly, I’m not sure if that factors in, but it should.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm the last guy to criticize anyone for wanting to play in the NFL. It's clearly where the money is, and yes, every single player in the CFL would jump at the chance. But there's more than one way to go about it, and a prospective starting QB lobbying publicly for a job down there rubs me the wrong way. Not to mention fratboying it up on BarDown etc. I'm sorry if some are offended by my distaste for such antics, but I'm not gonna "lighten up" until I see evidence that type of behavior is no longer the default for "Swag."
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 946
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I'm the last guy to criticize anyone for wanting to play in the NFL. It's clearly where the money is, and yes, every single player in the CFL would jump at the chance. But there's more than one way to go about it, and a prospective starting QB lobbying publicly for a job down there rubs me the wrong way. Not to mention fratboying it up on BarDown etc. I'm sorry if some are offended by my distaste for such antics, but I'm not gonna "lighten up" until I see evidence that type of behavior is no longer the default for "Swag."
    I am searching to see if Kelly has worked out for NFL teams or has any scheduled but I can’t find anything. Isn’t January 9 the deadline for CFL players to have their NFL workouts complete? Not sure where all the speculation that Kelly is jumping to the NFL is coming from.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm sure this doesn't mean much but it appears that Chad Kelly is sill living in Toronto. According to social media, he hosted his brother over the holidays (Ole Miss TE) and has helped out at Dejon Brisset's football camp. Maybe he's just a big city guy and prefers it over wherever else he lives in the states?
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I am searching to see if Kelly has worked out for NFL teams or has any scheduled but I can’t find anything. Isn’t January 9 the deadline for CFL players to have their NFL workouts complete? Not sure where all the speculation that Kelly is jumping to the NFL is coming from.
    For the record, my original (pessimistic) post said only: "You watch, we will end up with neither MBT nor Kelly in 2023." I later said: "I don't think it's out of the question Kelly gets some interest down there." I never said he will, or is likely to, jump to the NFL. But I have said more than once that I don't believe he's as dedicated to being the Argos' starting quarterback as I would like our starting quarterback to be, and I stand by that. It won't matter if he does not end up being our starting quarterback, obviously. But if he does, I find the things he does and says online to be troubling.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I have no worries about Kelly’s past. If he didn’t fit in this year he would have been gone. The fact that he never created an issue over playing time, despite so many ignorant people booing MBT at BMO tells me a lot about how he has matured. I trust that Dinwiddie and Pinball have a good read on him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    There have been no NFL workouts for Kelly and none are scheduled - at least this is what I am assuming considering that we have heard nothing in the media or from the man himself about such workouts and he would be shouting it from the rooftops if there were NFL interest in him. What has changed over the past year that would elicit NFL interest in him again anyway? I doubt NFL teams are putting much stock into less than one quarter of work in the Grey Cup game.

I would love to be a male model and a billionaire just like Chad Kelly would like to play in the NFL but none of those things are going to happen. All he has been doing on social media is attempting to pump up his profile and I don't see that stopping anytime soon; however, it doesn't mean that he is heading to the NFL this off-season. The only way that the NFL will take notice at all is if he has a phenomenal 2023 season in Toronto and he would still be up against it, given his age.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post

I would love to be a male model
    TMI Ravi. LOL!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:

Level
    Ravi, you are a role model for all good Argo fans. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I know you have what it takes to be a male model but clearly your attitude is holding you back.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    There have been no NFL workouts for Kelly and none are scheduled - at least this is what I am assuming considering that we have heard nothing in the media or from the man himself about such workouts and he would be shouting it from the rooftops if there were NFL interest in him. What has changed over the past year that would elicit NFL interest in him again anyway? I doubt NFL teams are putting much stock into less than one quarter of work in the Grey Cup game.
    Again, my point is not whether the NFL has interest in him. It's whether he has sufficient interest in being the Argos' starting QB. If he does, he has a funny way of showing it. I think the starting QB (or anyone aspiring to that job) should be dedicated to the job and the team, not screwing around on social media to draw attention to himself, publicly suggesting he wants to be elsewhere, etc. I want a Holloway type, not a Manziel type. I'm far from convinced Kelly is anything other than a Manziel type.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Again, my point is not whether the NFL has interest in him. It's whether he has sufficient interest in being the Argos' starting QB. If he does, he has a funny way of showing it. I think the starting QB (or anyone aspiring to that job) should be dedicated to the job and the team, not screwing around on social media to draw attention to himself, publicly suggesting he wants to be elsewhere, etc. I want a Holloway type, not a Manziel type. I'm far from convinced Kelly is anything other than a Manziel type.
    He seemed pretty dedicated when he helped the Argos win the Grey Cup. How many times does he have to do that for you to consider him dedicated?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    He seemed pretty dedicated when he helped the Argos win the Grey Cup. How many times does he have to do that for you to consider him dedicated?
    He made some excellent plays in the fourth quarter of the Grey Cup, no question. A big contribution to the victory. He has outstanding physical tools, and he rose to the occasion that day, which is fantastic.

That's not what I'm talking about, however. What I'm seeing from him since then does not inspire confidence that he is ready to be (or even all that interested in being) the team leader we need at the QB position. I hope I will eventually be able to acknowledge that my concerns were unfounded. Time will tell.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    He made some excellent plays in the fourth quarter of the Grey Cup, no question. A big contribution to the victory. He has outstanding physical tools, and he rose to the occasion that day, which is fantastic.

That's not what I'm talking about, however. What I'm seeing from him since then does not inspire confidence that he is ready to be (or even all that interested in being) the team leader we need at the QB position. I hope I will eventually be able to acknowledge that my concerns were unfounded. Time will tell.
    No doubt Kelly shows a lot of promise, I also have no issue with him wanting to take another shot down south.
    I would think having his agent work behind the scenes to get an NFL workout would be the preferred method, I’m not a big fan of players pumping their own tires on Twitter like Kelly has been doing.
    There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance, having said this I’m sure the Argonauts have a much better read on Kelly than any of us do.
    Argos will be ok at QB in 2023, I wouldn’t close the door on MBT returning to Toronto.
    Last edited by Argo57; 12-30-2022 at 02:34 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

I would love to be a male model and a billionaire just like Chad Kelly would like to play in the NFL but none of those things are going to happen. All he has been doing on social media is attempting to pump up his profile and I don't see that stopping anytime soon; however, it doesn't mean that he is heading to the NFL this off-season. The only way that the NFL will take notice at all is if he has a phenomenal 2023 season in Toronto and he would still be up against it, given his age.
    Try being a hand model Ravi, much less pressure.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 328
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    He just needs to avoid sprained fingers. They take forever to heal.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    He just needs to avoid sprained fingers. They take forever to heal.
    A potential career killer.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    It didn’t work so great for George Costanza in the end.