Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

New BC Lions thread

The Lions were hit with a significant retirement today as Bryan Burnham is hanging up the cleats.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    An all-time great CFL receiver was Burnham IMO; too bad he couldn't have played longer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    An all-time great CFL receiver was Burnham IMO; too bad he couldn't have played longer.
    I agree. Somehow no matter how great he was, he was so underrated.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I agree. Somehow no matter how great he was, he was so underrated.
    A total package all-around receiver (ok, maybe not blazing speed) with just superb hands; and his ability to make tough or circus catches is second to none all-time IMO; his all-time production #s with a relatively short CFL career may have him rated behind some all-time #s leading receivers in CFL history, but he's IMO quite better than some with more career #s.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    A Hall of Famer.
    Last edited by jerrym; 12-09-2022 at 03:16 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    BC has extended Canadian DL David Menard, who had a career high 9 sacks in 2022, through 2024.

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Interesting bit of trivia I had never heard before.

While watching the Archive of American Television interview with producer Leonard Goldberg (start at 15:00) he talks about an episode of Starsky and Hutch where they want to quit being cops and join the CFL. He doesn't remember the scene too accurately but I got the idea of what he was trying to say.

So I decided to look up the episode at IMDB where I see the following under the heading Factual Errors

In the very last scene Hutch is on the phone very late at night with someone from the front office of the CFL (Canadian Football League) team the Vancouver Knights, attempting to setup tryouts for him & Starsky. The Vancouver Knights actually disbanded from the CFL after the 1939 season.

Now this fella didn't get it quite right either because Hutch clearly says Vancouver Lions not Knights (start at 42:43). So, I look up Vancouver Knights and did find that a team existed back in the 30s called the Vancouver Knights of Columbus or Kaycees.

Just thought I might bore you with that. BTW, if you've never listened to the Archive of American Television interviews they are very interesting and very good (most of them)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Huggy Bear might have made the Lions - at WR and managing the Lions' cheer leaders (best all-time IMO); Starksy & Hutch would have made good tackling dummies. ;o)

Didn't BC have Carl Weathers (Apollo Creed, and Chubbs in Happy Gilmore) on their team at one time ? Plus, wasn't Joe Kapp in some Hollywood flicks ?

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Didn't BC have Carl Weathers (Apollo Creed, and Chubbs in Happy Gilmore) on their team at one time ? Plus, wasn't Joe Kapp in some Hollywood flicks ?
    Joe Kapp's most famous film role was in The Longest Yard but he also had a very impressive list of credits in many of the most famous TV shows of the 1970s.

Carl Weathers played linebacker for the Lions from 1971-1973, and pro wrestler Tito Santana (Merced Solis) played 13 games at end for the Lions in 1976. Solis caught 17 passes for 329 yards and one receiving touchdown that year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Nathan Rourke signs with Jacksonville.
    Hopefully he has a good career in the NFL.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...4bMbImuoPV2_x6
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Nathan Rourke signs with Jacksonville.
    Hopefully he has a good career in the NFL.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...4bMbImuoPV2_x6
    I'd be lying if I said I wasn't annoyed by Rourke leaving the CFL, but I wish him all the best, regardless.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I hate seeing the NFL take the CFLs top players year after year but that’s the reality.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I hate seeing the NFL take the CFLs top players year after year but that’s the reality.
    i find it incredibly frustrating but what can be done about it?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    A commenter somewhere was suggesting a system similar to soccer, where an NFL team would have to pay a CFL team a transfer fee in these situations. I'm sure there is a reason this is not possible though.

Ultimately though I would prefer Canadian talent stay in the CFL. Someday.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    No league can compete with the NFL. I feel for the owner of the Lions who has been working hard to make the Lions relevant again on the West Coast and now he loses his biggest star (not to mention the CFLs biggest star). Hard to sell a team to a city that features Vernon Adams as your starting QB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    CFL QBs who have gone onto sustained success/playing time in the NFL:

Joe Kapp - 8 years in the CFL and 4 years in NFL, including a Super Bowl appearance as starting QB
    Peter Liske - 4 years in the CFL and then 4 years in the AFL/NFL before returning for 3 more years in the CFL
    Joe Theismann - 3 years in the CFL and 12 in the NFL, including a Super Bowl victory
    Warren Moon - 6 years in the CFL and 17 in the NFL
    Dieter Brock - 11 years in the CFL and 1 in the NFL, quarterbacking the Rams to the NFC championship game
    Jeff Garcia - 5 years in the CFL and 13 in the NFL

Other CFL to NFL departures:

Doug Flutie - 1 year in USFL, 4 in NFL, 8 in CFL, and then 8 more in NFL

Henry Burris - 4 years in CFL, including 1 as a full-time starter; 2 in the NFL before returning to the CFL for a long career

Casey Printers - 3 years in CFL, including 2 in which he started many games; 1 year in NFL before returning for an unsuccessful second stint in the CFL

Nathan Rourke - 2 years in CFL, including roughly half of a season as a starter; ? years in NFL

If Rourke makes it in the NFL and has sustained success/playing time, he will be the first CFL QB to spend such little time in the CFL before having such success/playing time in the NFL.

I haven't included Sean Salisbury (parts of 2 seasons in the CFL before limited NFL success) or Erik Kramer (2 seasons of limited playing time in the CFL before 1 decent NFL season) as I don't necessarily see them as being in the same situation.

I know that this isn't a popular opinion but I really feel like Rourke should have stayed for another season or two in the CFL to continue his development (e.g., the West Final stage did seem too big for him) and continue building his resume before heading to the NFL. I think that he could have been in a better position in another year or two. And if anyone says he could get injured during those CFL seasons, that's always a possibility in the NFL also. Ultimately, he was exceptional for half of a CFL season but that's about all we can say about his tenure up here. It would have been interesting to see what he could have done over the next couple of CFL seasons if he had remained but it's his decision, whether one agrees with it or not.
    Last edited by ArgoRavi; 01-16-2023 at 11:49 AM.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I know that this isn't a popular opinion but I really feel like Rourke should have stayed for another season or two in the CFL to continue his development (e.g., the West Final stage did seem too big for him) and continue building his resume before heading to the NFL. I think that he could have been in a better position in another year or two. And if anyone says he could get injured during those CFL seasons, that's always a possibility in the NFL also.
    We'd all have loved to have Rourke stay forever in Canada, but I disagree that he'd have been better off to wait a year or two. Age alone (24 now vs. 26 in two years) makes him more attractive to the NFL at this time. And sure, he could get injured in the NFL or the CFL, but if he gets injured in the NFL he'll at least have earned NFL money and be eligible for what is undoubtedly a much better injury settlement.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Here's a couple I remember from my childhood:

John Sciarra played two years for the Lions and six years for the Eagles. Memories are a funny thing, I remember him as a QB but he barely played there after being the starting QB at UCLA.

In 1976 he was 8/31 passing for the Lions which might explain the below:

Wikipedia - John Sciarra signed a two-year contract with the BC Lions of the Canadian Football League on May 26, 1976. He was converted to Slotback early in the season and had 34 receptions for 563 yards. He earned the CFL's Most Outstanding Rookie Award in 1976.

Sciarra played 6 years with the Eagles (1978-1983) as Defensive Back, Punt Returner, and was named Most Valuable Player for Special Teams in 1979 and 1980

Joe Pisarcik played three seasons for the Stamps, three for the Giants, and five for the Eagles. He was the starting QB for his first two years with the Giants until Phil Simms took over. Pisarcik was backup to Ron Jaworski for the Eagles.

Wikipedia - He began his NFL career with the New York Giants and is best remembered for his role in the November 19, 1978, game where the Giants, ahead 17–12 with only seconds to play and their opponent out of time-outs, lost after his handoff (a play called by offensive coordinator Bob Gibson over Pisarcik's objections) to Larry Csonka was fumbled and returned for a touchdown by Herman Edwards of the Philadelphia Eagles.

The play has since been referred to as "The Fumble" by Giants fans and "The Miracle at the Meadowlands" by Eagles fans, and it was instrumental in making the Quarterback kneel (also known as "taking a knee") a routine play for running down the clock at the end of a game.
    Last edited by bannedforlife; 01-16-2023 at 04:06 PM.

Banned
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    We'd all have loved to have Rourke stay forever in Canada, but I disagree that he'd have been better off to wait a year or two. Age alone (24 now vs. 26 in two years) makes him more attractive to the NFL at this time. And sure, he could get injured in the NFL or the CFL, but if he gets injured in the NFL he'll at least have earned NFL money and be eligible for what is undoubtedly a much better injury settlement.
    I agree with Paul, you have to strike while the iron is hot. While we all think it's a shame, it's inevitable.

What needs to be changed is the narrative. The haters (for lack of a better word) take the old Canadian inferiority complex narrative that the CFL sucks compared to the NFL rather than the player played in a league good enough to allow a transition to the NFL.

We need to take an attitude more like European soccer fans, support your local club and league but you can also support those at the very top. The haters are unable and unwilling to do this. They always come up with the old line "I only follow the best" but upon further examination they are always found to be hypocritical. Sorry for the rant diversion.

Bring back Canadian Professional Football! : )
    Last edited by bannedforlife; 01-16-2023 at 04:25 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    It was an obvious move by Rourke, capitalize on the opportunity while you can.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions