Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bannedforlife View Post
    I agree with Paul, you have to strike while the iron is hot. While we all think it's a shame, it's inevitable.

What needs to be changed is the narrative. The haters (for lack of a better word) take the old Canadian inferiority complex narrative that the CFL sucks compared to the NFL rather than the player played in a league good enough to allow a transition to the NFL.

We need to take an attitude more like European soccer fans, support your local club and league but you can also support those at the very top. The haters are unable and unwilling to do this. They always come up with the old line "I only follow the best" but upon further examination they are always found to be hypocritical. Sorry for the rant diversion.

Bring back Canadian Professional Football! : )

Bang-on !!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Warren Moon - 6 years in the CFL and 17 in the NFL
    Too many GOBs still had NFL jobs back in the 70s, which prevented Moon from starting his pro career there as his physical talent warranted. And I mean the real, racist kind of GOBs, not fake ones. If he was a decade younger, we wouldn't have seen him in the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm really happy for Rourke. Anyone that suggested he should not take the opportunity is not a realist. I hope he can turn this into a $100M + career.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Shawn Lemon sign with the Lions.
    Still a very effective player.

https://3downnation.com/2023/02/26/t...-a-third-time/
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Shawn Lemon sign with the Lions.
    Still a very effective player.

https://3downnation.com/2023/02/26/t...-a-third-time/
    He is but he will turn into the aging version of Charleston Hughes one of these years and it's always a gamble when that will be. I think that the Stamps are gambling that will happen in 2023 while the Lions are gambling that it won't.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    He is but he will turn into the aging version of Charleston Hughes one of these years and it's always a gamble when that will be. I think that the Stamps are gambling that will happen in 2023 while the Lions are gambling that it won't.
    Although not a huge risk with one year contracts Ravi.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Although not a huge risk with one year contracts Ravi.
    An no risk at all if there isn’t a sizeable signing bonus, which is very doubtful in this case.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    An no risk at all if there isn’t a sizeable signing bonus, which is very doubtful in this case.
    The free agent money has pretty much dried up long before now so Lemon likely received a small raise, if any, and not much of a bonus.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Things are looking a little bleaker for Nathan Rourke in Jacksonville. The original narrative from the likes of Farhan Lalji and Dave Naylor was that Jacksonville's backup QB, CJ Beathard, was a free agent and would not necessarily be brought back which would leave a clear opening for Rourke to compete for the #2 spot with the Jaguars. Subsequently, the Jaguars re-signed Beathard to a new contract that includes $2 million in guaranteed money. Anyone who follows the NFL knows that giving someone $2 million in guaranteed money means that they are very much in your plans. The Jaguars brass has also been recently talking up Beathard in a big way so it will take an extraordinary performance for Rourke to become the #2 QB there. More likely, he will be battling it out for the #3/Practice Roster QB spot with whomever else the Jaguars sign or draft.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/duval...g-c-j-beathard

https://3downnation.com/2023/03/07/j...qbs-on-roster/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Things are looking a little bleaker for Nathan Rourke in Jacksonville. The original narrative from the likes of Farhan Lalji and Dave Naylor was that Jacksonville's backup QB, CJ Beathard, was a free agent and would not necessarily be brought back which would leave a clear opening for Rourke to compete for the #2 spot with the Jaguars. Subsequently, the Jaguars re-signed Beathard to a new contract that includes $2 million in guaranteed money. Anyone who follows the NFL knows that giving someone $2 million in guaranteed money means that they are very much in your plans. The Jaguars brass has also been recently talking up Beathard in a big way so it will take an extraordinary performance for Rourke to become the #2 QB there. More likely, he will be battling it out for the #3/Practice Roster QB spot with whomever else the Jaguars sign or draft.

Yeah, not sure I agree with "bleak" but so much for the talk he would only sign down there to be a #2. I think he's just glad to get a foot in the door anywhere down there, and maybe he has a great TC or injuries strike the other QBs, and he somehow gets on a roster and maybe plays some - wouldn't count on that though.

Could see a scenario where he is stuck as the Jags #3 project, which leads to no playing time and then no other NFL teams show any interest (why would they - he could have signed with a team that has serious QB needs to compete right away, but obviously nobody had that interest) ... and then he gets frustrated as a competitor who really wants to play, and so returns to the CFL - wouldn't count on that either.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

But they waived another QB leaving then with only 3 on the roster. That’s good news for Rourke, not bad news. Beathard has done nothing over quite a few years in the league. I’m sure the Jags are hoping Rourke takes the #2 spot from him in TC.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Yeah, not sure I agree with "bleak" but so much for the talk he would only sign down there to be a #2. I think he's just glad to get a foot in the door anywhere down there, and maybe he has a great TC or injuries strike the other QBs, and he somehow gets on a roster and maybe plays some - wouldn't count on that though.

Could see a scenario where he is stuck as the Jags #3 project, which leads to no playing time and then no other NFL teams show any interest (why would they - he could have signed with a team that has serious QB needs to compete right away, but obviously nobody had that interest) ... and then he gets frustrated as a competitor who really wants to play, and so returns to the CFL - wouldn't count on that either.
    If the team does not select a QB in the upcoming NFL draft, Rourke will be in the comfortable position of being the # 3 QB albeit, on the P.R. But, that places him in a good position if one of the two QBs on the playing roster should sustain an injury. If the team is serious about Rourke, they will not draft a QB.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    But they waived another QB leaving then with only 3 on the roster. That’s good news for Rourke, not bad news. Beathard has done nothing over quite a few years in the league. I’m sure the Jags are hoping Rourke takes the #2 spot from him in TC.
    Beathard is getting $2 million guaranteed while Rourke is getting $200k guaranteed. We shall see if they add another QB although I would be surprised if they didn't. I don't share your optimism, AV, that Rourke will get much of a chance to unseat Beathard, given the guaranteed money the latter is getting.

Also, one of Rourke's advocates in Jacksonville, Henry Burris, is no longer employed by that organization.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Beathard is getting $2 million guaranteed while Rourke is getting $200k guaranteed. We shall see if they add another QB although I would be surprised if they didn't. I don't share your optimism, AV, that Rourke will get much of a chance to unseat Beathard, given the guaranteed money the latter is getting.

Also, one of Rourke's advocates in Jacksonville, Henry Burris, is no longer employed by that organization.
    I agree Ravi.
    The NFL is as cut throat as it gets, promises to compete for the number 2 job amount to nothing.
    I think you may see Rourke back in Canada in a couple of years.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

No offence Ravi, but I think this is personal with you. You were against Rourke taking his shot down south from day 1. He is very young. There is a good chance the Jags will keep him around all year as #3 while looking to move him up to #2 next year. There is also a chance that they take the loss on Beathard and release him or put him on IR. Their starter is on a rookie deal,so they don’t have a lot of money tied up at QB. In any event, it’s a chance he has to take. He would be 1 injury away from an opportunity to show his talents to the rest of the league and a really big pay day.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I agree Ravi.
    The NFL is as cut throat as it gets, promises to compete for the number 2 job amount to nothing.
    I think you may see Rourke back in Canada in a couple of years.
    Possible, but I’m thinking no. I think he will be down south for a long time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Possible, but I’m thinking no. I think he will be down south for a long time.
    Depends what’s important to him, buried down the depth chart in the NFL or playing and competing in the CFL.
    Will be interesting to see how this plays out.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    No offence Ravi, but I think this is personal with you. You were against Rourke taking his shot down south from day 1. He is very young. There is a good chance the Jags will keep him around all year as #3 while looking to move him up to #2 next year. There is also a chance that they take the loss on Beathard and release him or put him on IR. Their starter is on a rookie deal,so they don’t have a lot of money tied up at QB. In any event, it’s a chance he has to take. He would be 1 injury away from an opportunity to show his talents to the rest of the league and a really big pay day.
    I have definitely gone against the prevailing wisdom on this one and it's not because I don't believe that Rourke isn't capable of having success in the NFL. I just don't happen to think that this is the chance he was looking for, but time will tell.

I do recall that the narrative being pushed by the likes of Naylor, Lalji, and the 3DownNation people was that Rourke wanted a legitimate chance at a #2 position this year and that seems unlikely.

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I have definitely gone against the prevailing wisdom on this one and it's not because I don't believe that Rourke isn't capable of having success in the NFL. I just don't happen to think that this is the chance he was looking for, but time will tell.

I do recall that the narrative being pushed by the likes of Naylor, Lalji, and the 3DownNation people was that Rourke wanted a legitimate chance at a #2 position this year and that seems unlikely.
    I agree with your take. What might come to pass is for him to do the three years for the pension and then come back. I'm not sure what he would be making after three years if he hadn't established himself as a contender but chances are if he came back to the CFL and was able to reestablish himself he'd get 500k

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    BC Lions offer ticket, bus packages for Interior and Island fans
    Lions courting Interior fans
    Rob Gibson castanet.net March 13, 2023

BC Lions fans who live in the Interior or on Vancouver Island now have a new way to watch their team.

For the first time, the BC Lions have launched a new six-game season ticket package for fans on Vancouver Island and in the Interior.

“We’re thrilled to provide our fans from the Island and Interior with increased accessibility to our home games,” said Lions president Duane Vienneau.

The packages consist of all six of the club's weekend 4 p.m. kickoffs at BC Place: the home opener June 17 vs. Edmonton, July 9 vs. Montreal, July 22 vs. Saskatchewan, August 12 vs. Calgary, August 26 vs. Hamilton and September 16 vs. Ottawa.

Ticket prices for the packages start at $220 for Interior Lions fans and $170 for Island fans. All packages include roundtrip bus transportation from Traxx Coach Lines and fans can depart from either Kelowna or Kamloops. Island fans will be picked up from both the Horseshoe Bay and Tsawwassen Ferry terminals for the journey to BC Place.

“The response for similar bus and ticket packages for last year’s Western Semi-Final was amazing and it gave us the idea that our fans from different regions of British Columbia would welcome a regular season package. The Lions truly are the province’s team.”