Thread: QBs, so ...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level

QBs, so ...

... MBT still a question mark - does he return? Dinwiddie & Pinner interviews indicate they have faith in Kelly, but that he needs to earn the job (really hope they are committed to that thinking); only other QB on the current roster is young Ben Holmes (Tarleton State - was a Div II program in US college ball) ?

Wonder if they are working on QB recruitment hard this off-season? When is a signing or two going to happen? Hope no news yet means they are not banking on another CFL retread project (no to Dane Evans or Fajardo types unless they are willing to sign for minimum wage to compete in TC), and a big no to desperately giving big CFL buck$ to faded ego-head Bovine.

Even MBT packs it in and Kelly is the only young QB they have, rather roll with 2 other new young QBs than pay good money to an iffy "experienced" for the sake of it guy. That would take guts though; like when the old Ottawa Rough Riders rolled with rookies Tom Clements & Condredge Holloway decades ago (and they also had a top Canadian college ball QB in camp - Bill Robinson - who according to some reports was the best QB in TC).
    Last edited by OV Argo; 01-21-2023 at 02:12 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    ... MBT still a question mark - does he return? Dinwiddie & Pinner interviews indicate they have faith in Kelly, but that he need to earn the job (rally hope they are committed to that thinking); only other QB on the current roster is young Ben Holmes (Tarleton State - was a Div II program in US college ball) ?

Wonder if they are working on QB recruitment hard this off-season? When is a signing or two going to happen? Hope no news yet means they are not banking on another CFL retread project (no to Dane Evans or Fajardo types unless they are willing to sign for minimum wage to compete in TC), and a big no to desperately giving big CFL buck$ to faded ego-head Bovine.

Even MBT packs it in and Kelly is the only young QB they have, rather roll with 2 other new young QBs than pay good money to an iffy "experienced" for the sake of it guy. That would take guts though; like when the old Ottawa Rough Riders rolled with rookies Tom Clements & Condredge Holloway decades ago (and they also had a top Canadian college ball QB in camp - Bill Robinson - who according to some reports was the best QB in TC).
    My first choice is to have MBT return and run it back with him and Kelly at QB.
    Failing that I would have no issue with the Argos bringing in a QB such as Dane Evans who has experience, has played in some big games, would work well in a dual QB system and above all would benefit from a change of scenery.
    Wouldn’t be in favour of relying on 2 relatively inexperienced QB’s.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    My first choice is to have MBT return and run it back with him and Kelly at QB.
    Failing that I would have no issue with the Argos bringing in a QB such as Dane Evans who has experience, has played in some big games, would work well in a dual QB system and above all would benefit from a change of scenery.
    Wouldn’t be in favour of relying on 2 relatively inexperienced QB’s.
    Problem there is - a CFL experienced guy like Evans (ultra poor play last season at times - just brutal) or Fajardo (panic/lost at times in that dumb Rider offence of last season) are still going to command pretty big CFL buck$, no? So they are going to eat up some $M$ that could be used more wisely elsewhere, AND take reps and development time away from a young QB who might prove way better in the long run.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Obviously I want MBT back, but if he moves on, I want an experienced guy to push Kelly. Definitely NOT Fajardo -- I want no part of him even at minimum wage (which he obviously wouldn't accept anyway). But I'd be quite happy to take Dane Evans, whom I feel is still likely to develop into a decent starter (probably for Sask, if I had to bet).

I think if MBT does move on, we are going to end up with either Arbuckle or Caleb Evans, whichever guy Ott chooses to let go. I'd prefer Arbuckle if it came down to one of those two.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:

Level
    What about Michael O’Conner as #2 behind Kelly if MBT retires as a Grey Cup Champion?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Problem there is - a CFL experienced guy like Evans (ultra poor play last season at times - just brutal) or Fajardo (panic/lost at times in that dumb Rider offence of last season) are still going to command pretty big CFL buck$, no? So they are going to eat up some $M$ that could be used more wisely elsewhere, AND take reps and development time away from a young QB who might prove way better in the long run.
    Would be foolhardy to go into a season with 2 QB’s with limited CFL experience.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Would be foolhardy to go into a season with 2 QB’s with limited CFL experience.
    You mean like the 75 & 76 Ottawa Rough Riders did ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    What about Michael O’Conner as #2 behind Kelly if MBT retires as a Grey Cup Champion?
    Pretty obvious the Argo regime that let him go (not the one that originally signed him) would want nothing to do with him?

My bet is he is done in the CFL; after a half of one game serious audition as a starter - replacing the injured Rourke - for BC, they turned away from their supposed #2 very quickly. Meanwhile, the Dom Davis' & Matthew Shlitz types will get umpteen times the CFL playing time chances. Is what it is for Canadian QBs (out of U Sports ball) in the radical league, and ain't gonna change anytime soon it appears. The NFL gets applauded (somewhat) for mostly abandoning their bias against African American QBs, but same old in the CFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Ah yes. The classic nearly 50 year old reference.

Pretty obvious the Argo regime that let him go (not the one that originally signed him) would want nothing to do with him?
    Pinball and even O'Connor himself admit the Argos tried to re-sign him, but he chose Calgary thinking it would be better for his career. I would love to see the Argo bring him back. He has had unfortunate breaks the last 2 years, and I am not convinced Calgary made the right decision choosing Maier over him. If he was given the chance originally over Maier, he may just be the #1 in Calgary right now.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    LOL!
    Digging deep for that one OV.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Wouldn’t mind that scenario at all if MBT retires.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    LOL!
    Digging deep for that one OV.
    Yeah, I'd hate for a modern CFL team to aspire to some of the smarts or talent of the CFL past. Might as well bring back leather helmets and ban the forward pass. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Ideal situation would be to have MBT to come back as starter and to help develop Kelly for the role. I also think bringing in O'Connor if MBT retires is brilliant and the right move.

Please no Dane Evans. I would rather take Fajardo in the very worst case. To be polite, I do not like the way Evans conducts himself when he is not playing well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    Ideal situation would be to have MBT to come back as starter and to help develop Kelly for the role. I also think bringing in O'Connor if MBT retires is brilliant and the right move.

Please no Dane Evans. I would rather take Fajardo in the very worst case. To be polite, I do not like the way Evans conducts himself when he is not playing well.
    IF it had to come down to the two, I'd take Fajardo as well; at least he has very good mobility / is a run threat - for an OC who could design a package for his skill set; Evans makes too many mistakes and then acts like a cry-baby.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I'd love to know why B.C. seemed to bury O'Connor last year after Rourke got hurt. IIRC, MOC got injured pretty early on, and maybe he was never fully healthy after that, but I suspect he was found wanting for some other reason. Maybe a valid reason, maybe not. But I'd be willing to give him a shot at the backup role here, and see if his potential can ever be unleashed.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Regardless of where they end up this year, I predict that Evans will outperform Fajardo this year and beyond.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Regardless of where they end up this year, I predict that Evans will outperform Fajardo this year and beyond.
    I think a change of scenery would do Evans wonders.
    Last edited by Argo57; 01-28-2023 at 03:50 PM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I'd love to know why B.C. seemed to bury O'Connor last year after Rourke got hurt. IIRC, MOC got injured pretty early on, and maybe he was never fully healthy after that, but I suspect he was found wanting for some other reason. Maybe a valid reason, maybe not. But I'd be willing to give him a shot at the backup role here, and see if his potential can ever be unleashed.
    Said this on the BC forum: O'Connor was only brought in by GOB Campbell because they had Rourke pegged as their starter, and so one of the 7 starting Nationals under the new rules; and O'Connor could sub in for Rourke (if he got nicked in a game; if he was playing lousy; to give him a break in a blow-out game), and Campbell could still maintain his 7 only need apply starters roster then. They might have thought O'Connor was a decent back-up QB, and supposedly he was #2 ahead of Pipkin; but after Rourke went down, and O'Connor started the next game and did not put up awesome like Rourke passing stats ... in all of one half of opportunity, the panic set in about going with a Canadian (mostly U Sports trained QB), so O'Connor was supposedly too injured to play anymore = time to give the job to Pipkin, and then Maciocia gifted the desperate Lions a starting QB in Vernon Adams. It was all over there for O'Connor (maybe he might have been brought back if Rourke had stayed on another season?).

O'Connor will likely be out of CFL work now IMO; though maybe signed as a possible 3rd stringer somewhere.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Except we don't know whether O'Connor was legitimately injured. If he was, the GOB-7-only-need-apply theory doesn't necessarily hold water.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Except we don't know whether O'Connor was legitimately injured. If he was, the GOB-7-only-need-apply theory doesn't necessarily hold water.
    That's true; but interesting, we never saw any updates on his injury status or questions about their supposed #2 QB returning ?; he was not carried off the field and remained on the sidelines after it happened, and I believe he still dressed for all games after or at least was not on the IR (?).

We'll see if he re-signs in BC or elsewhere in the CFL.