Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: QBs, so ...

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    What I find strange is that everyone thought Kelly would get no NFL looks at age 28 going to 29 but MBT got teams knocking on the door, given his age. Only argument that Kelly isn't close to being NFL bound is that he hasn't proven anything. But if he has one year left and is decent, what's stopping teams showing some interest (other than attitude/behavior) .
    Last edited by ArgoGabe22; 02-23-2023 at 07:14 PM.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    What I find strange is that everyone thought Kelly would get no NFL looks at age 28 going to 29 but MBT got teams knocking on the door, given his age. Only argument that Kelly isn't close to being NFL bound is that he hasn't proven anything. But if he has one year left and is decent, what's stopping teams showing some interest (other than attitude/behavior) .
    If MBT has NFL teams knocking at his door, why did he sign a USFL contract and not an NFL contract when he became a CFL FA?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    OMG - Dane Evans traded to BC; what can we possibly do / no other QBs out there what-so-ever. The Argos are doomed; scuttled on the rocks and sunk. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    I don't believe anyone said NFL teams were knocking on MBT's door. But yes, if Kelly has a great year, I believe he could garner some NFL interest. Even moreso if either Rourke or MBT (or both) plays in the NFL this year.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    At this point, we are going into the season with the least experience we've had at QB since 2010, if memory serves. And the least experience of any CFL team at the moment. It would be a considerable experiment to see if a guy with fewer than 100 CFL snaps can take the reins and make the horses gallop. I think he might be able to, but if he were to get hurt or otherwise fail, I don't want to rely on a guy with zero CFL snaps on his resume. Unfortunately the pickings are now rather slim. Pipkin has the most game experience, Prukop has been in the league longest but hasn't played much, and O'Connor had tantalizing potential at one point but seems to have fallen out of favour around the league. We better keep Kelly upright and hope he is as good as he thinks he is.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    If MBT has NFL teams knocking at his door, why did he sign a USFL contract and not an NFL contract when he became a CFL FA?
    I read the teams that reached out to him didn't offer any signing money. My guess is he plays in the XFL, makes some money and get some more game tape. Then free to go into NFL training camp. As for the age thing, I don't think the naysayers look at the big picture. A LOT of NFL backup QB's played last year. Just look at who SF had backing up Purdy. Johnson was a stiff and he's 36 and been in the NFL 8 years! Have to think some teams may look at MBT with lots of current starts would be a better fit to step in.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I don't believe anyone said NFL teams were knocking on MBT's door. But yes, if Kelly has a great year, I believe he could garner some NFL interest. Even moreso if either Rourke or MBT (or both) plays in the NFL this year.
    Naylor mentioned 3 NFL teams inquired about MBT but did not offer anything guaranteed.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Achievements:

Level
    At this point, we are going into the season with the least experience we've had at QB since 2010, if memory serves. And the least experience of any CFL team at the moment. It would be a considerable experiment to see if a guy with fewer than 100 CFL snaps can take the reins and make the horses gallop. I think he might be able to, but if he were to get hurt or otherwise fail, I don't want to rely on a guy with zero CFL snaps on his resume. Unfortunately the pickings are now rather slim. Pipkin has the most game experience, Prukop has been in the league longest but hasn't played much, and O'Connor had tantalizing potential at one point but seems to have fallen out of favour around the league. We better keep Kelly upright and hope he is as good as he thinks he is.
    But wouldn't that be the story of the year for Toronto and the CFL. If Kelly plays to his potential and has a good year. We seen it with Rourke when the system catered to his strengths. And remember a QB delivering Frito Lay, then starting for Edmonton. We can hope!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I am far more confident in the Argos situation at QB than I was when James Franklin was named starter.

Boatman
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Achievements:

Level
    He's in the driver seat right now and he is driving towards the horizon.

Boatman
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 168
    Achievements:

Level
    MBT has to see the lay of the NFL land come May.The NFL is going to discuss forcing teams to carry 3 QBs on the game day roster(See the SF 49ers playoff game).This will create 32 new jobs dedicated to the qb position.The NFL owners meeting is at the end of March and the issue will be addressed then.MBT can get salary and pension points.(even as a PR player). It makes all the sense in the world.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    I read the teams that reached out to him didn't offer any signing money. My guess is he plays in the XFL, makes some money and get some more game tape. Then free to go into NFL training camp. As for the age thing, I don't think the naysayers look at the big picture. A LOT of NFL backup QB's played last year. Just look at who SF had backing up Purdy. Johnson was a stiff and he's 36 and been in the NFL 8 years! Have to think some teams may look at MBT with lots of current starts would be a better fit to step in.
    I was absolutely stunned when I saw Josh Johnson on the field for the 49ers playoff game. I figured the NFL had moved on from him. Interesting point you mentioned is that Johnson has been in the league for 8 years. That makes it easy for a very QB desperate team to call him up as opposed to a QB who has been out of the league for several years such as MBT.
    As for MBT I hope he doesn’t get hurt playing in a lousy system in New Orleans (Birmingham) behind a semi pro O Line. If his partner’s employment situation changes, who knows, maybe he returns to the CFL in 2024 and is able to bring his young family with him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Now that the Evans option is off the table, it is time to look at the other options for adding a 3rd QB. It appear to come down to O'Connor or some unknown American QB the team has been looking at in the last while. Unless there an exceptional American QB who has fallen through the NFL cracks, I'd go for O'Connor.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    If Swag Kelly is as good as he thinks and claims that he is - and I truly hope that he is - then he couldn't ask for a better situation to prove himself. He has an excellent team around him - defence, offensive line, receivers, and running backs - plus an excellent coaching staff. It's sink or swim time for him and I am optimistic that he will do the latter.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Losing Evans hurts, no doubt about it. I said I was prepared to roll the dice with O’Connor at #2, and I am, but it’s gonna make me nervous every game given Kelly’s physical style of play.

Any chance we trade for an experienced guy for the #2 slot? How about for the guy who doesn’t start in Ottawa, whoever it will be? I’d love to see Mazoli mentor both Kelly and the #3 prospect, wonder what it would cost to get him? We know Pinball loves the aging stars, right?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Worst case scenario has played out unfortunately, I have no issue with Chad Kelly’s potential but expecting him to perform at a high level (and stay healthy) over an 18 game schedule is a huge gamble.
    If he struggles badly or gets hurt the Argos are in big trouble.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Worst case scenario has played out unfortunately, I have no issue with Chad Kelly’s potential but expecting him to perform at a high level (and stay healthy) over an 18 game schedule is a huge gamble.
    If he struggles badly or gets hurt the Argos are in big trouble.
    Not to worry. I thinks Evans to BC will make OVs favourite QB available….Dom Davis who recently signed there as a FA.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Not to worry. I thinks Evans to BC will make OVs favourite QB available….Dom Davis who recently signed there as a FA.
    Are Jimmy Franklin or Cleo Lemon busy these days?
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    OK, had a night to sleep on it.

Still do not feel good about this. It isn't that I don't think that Chad Kelly could become a frontline starting CFL QB. It's that he isn't one. Yes, the club's Player Personnel department know way more than I do about who has it in them to run our offence effectively. And Dinwiddie knows the QB position very well. But these guys have been wrong before (Arbuckle) and are going into a season to defend the championship with their chosen QB having had, as previously mentioned, less than 100 snaps, and nobody as yet behind him in case of injury or inefficacy.

Look at what these guys in our GM triumvirate put together this off season, it is a roster that won a GC and then was strengthened. It was ready to roll to the Eastern final. But the most crucial decision at the most crucial position now has us all hoping and praying. Feels like our Plan B (or C!) has become our Plan A.
    Like if Team Red Bull built the best car in Formula 1 and Verstappen leaves them and they just give the keys to a promising driver who has only been in one F1 race.

I hope that my concerns prove to be unjustified... but here we are. Maybe I ought to be happy that now we have a big story with big question marks and uncertainty to stay tuned for. I'll be so happy if Chad Kelly makes me eat my words on this one.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    OK, had a night to sleep on it.

Still do not feel good about this. It isn't that I don't think that Chad Kelly could become a frontline starting CFL QB. It's that he isn't one. Yes, the club's Player Personnel department know way more than I do about who has it in them to run our offence effectively. And Dinwiddie knows the QB position very well. But these guys have been wrong before (Arbuckle) and are going into a season to defend the championship with their chosen QB having had, as previously mentioned, less than 100 snaps, and nobody as yet behind him in case of injury or inefficacy.

Look at what these guys in our GM triumvirate put together this off season, it is a roster that won a GC and then was strengthened. It was ready to roll to the Eastern final. But the most crucial decision at the most crucial position now has us all hoping and praying. Feels like our Plan B (or C!) has become our Plan A.
    Like if Team Red Bull built the best car in Formula 1 and Verstappen leaves them and they just give the keys to a promising driver who has only been in one F1 race.

I hope that my concerns prove to be unjustified... but here we are. Maybe I ought to be happy that now we have a big story with big question marks and uncertainty to stay tuned for. I'll be so happy if Chad Kelly makes me eat my words on this one.
    I'm sure this was how BC Lions fans felt one year ago. It's a good thing that Kelly is in town with his teammates. I'm sure he is putting in the work the way Nathan Rourke did. It's not lost on him the opportunity he has with as you mentioned a championship roster all around him. It doesn't get any better than this for a QB. The Argo braintrust need to go find some more young talent to back him up. If an injury occurs like happened in BC, they could then trade for Evans or Arbuckle, etc...
    GO ARGOS!!!