Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast

Thread: QBs, so ...

Boatman
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    MBT is obviously having a very hard time letting go of his NFL dream. It gives me no pleasure to say this... but if he honestly thinks that he's getting an NFL contract in his mid-thirties and with a very limited record of playing success, he's quite delusional. I know that I'm in the minority on this... but I also didn't appreciate the fact that he advised the Argos of his future plans after all of the other CFL QB options had been signed by other teams. If he wanted to stay in the US that badly (and I would consider signing a USFL contract to be evidence of wanting it badly), he should have just said so a month ago.

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I won't fault MBT for the dream (no matter how unlikely it may seem).

TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Rote View Post
    MBT is obviously having a very hard time letting go of his NFL dream. It gives me no pleasure to say this... but if he honestly thinks that he's getting an NFL contract in his mid-thirties and with a very limited record of playing success, he's quite delusional. I know that I'm in the minority on this... but I also didn't appreciate the fact that he advised the Argos of his future plans after all of the other CFL QB options had been signed by other teams. If he wanted to stay in the US that badly (and I would consider signing a USFL contract to be evidence of wanting it badly), he should have just said so a month ago.
    Ah yes. Th hate for MBT continues.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Worst case scenario has played out unfortunately, I have no issue with Chad Kelly’s potential but expecting him to perform at a high level (and stay healthy) over an 18 game schedule is a huge gamble.
    If he struggles badly or gets hurt the Argos are in big trouble.
    I think this is a big reason why the Argos are bringing back both Harris and Oulette in the backfield. A strong threat in the run game will make life easier for inexperienced QB’s. I expect to see the Argos do a lot of RPO action this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Ah yes. Th hate for MBT continues.
    A few people on these boards were extremely critical of Chad Kelly seeking NFL opportunities. We had to read about how it will never happen and that Chad Kelly is in it for himself with no interest to lead the Argos whatsoever. His ego is so large he has delusional fantasies of playing in the NFL, etc.

I think the criticism of MBT is only fair considering he did exactly what Kelly was accused of but instead is receiving praise for being a family man and a Saint.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Tobin Rote View Post
    but I also didn't appreciate the fact that he advised the Argos of his future plans after all of the other CFL QB options had been signed by other teams. If he wanted to stay in the US that badly (and I would consider signing a USFL contract to be evidence of wanting it badly), he should have just said so a month ago.
    In retrospect it looks like there is no way Hamilton was ever gonna let Evans come to the Argos, regardless of when MBT made his decision.

Naylor is reporting that Evans renegotiated his contract with the Lions down to $130k (from $450k), which makes me wonder why the Cats could not move him sooner. Was it just to fool the Argos into thinking they had a shot at him?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    A few people on these boards were extremely critical of Chad Kelly seeking NFL opportunities. We had to read about how it will never happen and that Chad Kelly is in it for himself with no interest to lead the Argos whatsoever. His ego is so large he has delusional fantasies of playing in the NFL, etc.

I think the criticism of MBT is only fair considering he did exactly what Kelly was accused of but instead is receiving praise for being a family man and a Saint.
    And I was not impressed with those comments about Kelly at the time either and made that known.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

MBT has been a solid durable performer who fulfilled his contract and decided to move on, disappointing he didn’t return….yes, deserving criticism and vitriol….no.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    In retrospect it looks like there is no way Hamilton was ever gonna let Evans come to the Argos, regardless of when MBT made his decision.

Naylor is reporting that Evans renegotiated his contract with the Lions down to $130k (from $450k), which makes me wonder why the Cats could not move him sooner. Was it just to fool the Argos into thinking they had a shot at him?
    Argo management probably expected Hamilton would do all it could to prevent Evans coming to Toronto. I would imagine they have looked at options for bringing in another QB and we should hear something in the near future.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

To be fair, I suspect that there is slightly more NFL interest in MBT than there is in Kelly currently (which is likely 0.0).
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level

I was one of the most outspoken critics of Kelly, altho I don't recall personally saying some of those things. But MBT did not not do exactly the same thing Kelly was accused of, to use your words. While under contract to the Argos, Kelly spoke publicly about both becoming the Argos' starting QB and wanting to go to the NFL. MBT was not under contract and said nothing publicly until he decided to leave and pursue opportunities in the U.S. Both guys want to be in the NFL, as does every other player in the CFL, but how they went about pursuing this desire was very different from one another.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    To be fair, I suspect that there is slightly more NFL interest in MBT than there is in Kelly currently (which is likely 0.0).

To be fair also, Kelly is younger and was once a much higher rated NFL QB prospect in US college ball than MBT was. I doubt either end up on an NFL roster soon, but you never know.

And meanwhile, the Jacksonville Jaguars have signed their current #2 QB to a contract extension; which may (or may not) signal something about Nathan Rourke's prospects there ? (word was he did not want to bide his time as a #3 type prospect?)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Argo management probably expected Hamilton would do all it could to prevent Evans coming to Toronto. I would imagine they have looked at options for bringing in another QB and we should hear something in the near future.
    Can't wait for NFL TC cuts, though there might be some off-season QB cuts there; top US college ball QBs will wait till the NFL draft and FA signings happen.

Have to look far & wide - to get a QB or two signed for TC - one would think?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Dinwiddie has stated they would be looking for QBs that match Kelly's physical skillset. Perhaps a player like Prukop?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Dinwiddie has stated they would be looking for QBs that match Kelly's physical skillset. Perhaps a player like Prukop?
    Prukop’s gone to the X. Ben Grant mentioned Nate Stanley, who’s an intriguing prospect but he’s a 6’4 pocket passer nothing like Kelly.

There’s a great interview with Coach D on 3Down, he says there will be as many as 4 new QBs in camp. He talks about how the Kelly offence will have him on the move and making throws from the edge. And he also talks at length about Kelly’s leadership and competitiveness; it looks like there will be no dropoff in those departments at QB this year.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    The funny thing here is he signed with the USFL to be closer to family. And he wants another kick at the NFL. So a team signs him probably with minimal money up front. That team could be across the country. And if he makes the roster, we all know the NFL then owns you. He'd be away from his family again.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I think this is a big reason why the Argos are bringing back both Harris and Oulette in the backfield. A strong threat in the run game will make life easier for inexperienced QB’s. I expect to see the Argos do a lot of RPO action this year.
    I agree 100%. The Argos are a strong team all around. And having a good punishing run game takes pressure off Kelly in that he doesn't have to do everything.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    I agree 100%. The Argos are a strong team all around. And having a good punishing run game takes pressure off Kelly in that he doesn't have to do everything.
    Yep - in theory - like to see it happen - we shall see.

Argos were dead last in the league last year in both rushing yards & rushing attempts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    The funny thing here is he signed with the USFL to be closer to family. And he wants another kick at the NFL. So a team signs him probably with minimal money up front. That team could be across the country. And if he makes the roster, we all know the NFL then owns you. He'd be away from his family again.
    This suggests he would happily accept a contract (regardless of how lucrative, or not) with an NFL team located far from his family. IMO that is extremely unlikely. Regardless, it's his life and he is gonna do what he believes is best for him and his family. Right now that means leaving good (albeit Cdn) dollars on the table to play in an upstart league where he can be close to his family. After that runs its course in five months, I imagine he will continue doing whatever he believes is best for him and his family.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Yep - in theory - like to see it happen - we shall see.

Argos were dead last in the league last year in both rushing yards & rushing attempts.
    The Argos had basically no running game until the last four or five weeks of the season, IIRC. Basically once Hunter got ensconced at LG. Hopefully this year they can build on that cohesion and become more effective running the ball. It would help if their tackles stayed healthy, of course.