Thread: QBs, so ...

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    And how many of those QBs would be ready to compete immediately for a CFL starting QB position?
    Don't know; won't find out without real competition in TC. Nathan Roukre got some decent playing time in his rookie CFL season. Jake Maier took the starting job away from Bo in short order.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Don't know; won't find out without real competition in TC. Nathan Roukre got some decent playing time in his rookie CFL season. Jake Maier took the starting job away from Bo in short order.
    Conversely, the Argos brought along Chad Kelly very slowly - much more slowly than many Argos fans wanted - but that's the way to do things. Rourke got time in 2001 because Mike Reilly was playing hurt and, while he showed promise, exhibited some growing pains that season too.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Yes, but the question is when. I think I wrote before (maybe somewhere other than here) that I expect Hamilton to keep under contract until very close to training camp. They clearly won't pay him the reporting bonus he's due, so he'll become available then, but he won't have been able to get to know the Argo playbook etc. during the offseason. Ticats will play hardball, knowing he's likely to sign with their rivals and might come back to haunt them. I, too, believe he still has lots to offer in this league, notwithstanding the problems he had at times last season. And boy, will he be motivated to get back at the Cats after they held him hostage for weeks/months after clearly planning to sever ties with him.

Wonder if there's any chance the Ticats could patch things up with Evans and talk him into being back-up or plan 1B in a loaded-up for a GC hosting run season? At a reduced cost of course. I bet the Ticats may not get what they are hoping for out of an aging and faded (IMO) Bo; and surely they don't think Shiltz is going to take them far if Bo falters or gets injured ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Wonder if there's any chance the Ticats could patch things up with Evans and talk him into being back-up or plan 1B in a loaded-up for a GC hosting run season? At a reduced cost of course. I bet the Ticats may not get what they are hoping for out of an aging and faded (IMO) Bo; and surely they don't think Shiltz is going to take them far if Bo falters or gets injured ?
    No chance.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    No chance.
    Ok; so they hold out and keep him away from other teams till the last second, but he's still going to get to go another team and be a starter and make starter coin ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Ok; so they hold out and keep him away from other teams till the last second, but he's still going to get to go another team and be a starter and make starter coin ?
    I think the best he can hope for at this point is to be in a platoon QB situation, won’t be a starter and certainly will not get starters $$$.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 99.2%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    That's still a risky proposition.
    It's certainly risky but as time goes on it is becoming more of a possibility.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 394
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    If MBT does not return and it is looking more likely as time goes by, what are the options? A) Kelly and O'Connor or Pipkin B) Kelly and Holmes (presently on roster) C) Kelly and an American QB that the team may have on the radar D) Wait for Evans to be released and then have Kelly and Evans

I would argue that while there are some potential positives for A), B) and C), the safest option should be D) Even D) has risks as we have seen Evans does seem to have problems with his confidence and mental toughness when facing adversity but he has proven in the past to have talent. Evans played his best football when he was with Masoli. Could that scenario be repeated with Kelly and Evans?

There could be strong arguments put forth for each of the options but this Argo management has made sound and successful decisions so far, so I will trust them to do the same in this situation.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 99.2%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    First

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 394
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Decision made. MBT signed with USFL. He mentions that this will give him another crack at the NFL this Fall and it allows him to be closer his family. He is extremely complimentary of the CFL and his team mates.

Now to setting the scene for this coming season. Kelly and someone but who will it be? Expect some statement from the team in the near future.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 258
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Never thought I'd be hoping for a Dane Evans & Chad Kelly platoon... but here we are.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Well it would have been nice if he decided last week! The Argos could have forced him to decide then, but I assume they want to leave the back door open if he doesn't get an NFL shot and we're in a bad spot with QB by Labour day. Looking forward to Kelly taking it to the next level!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Achievements:

Level
    I would be open to Dane Evans coming here to compete. He is young. He has led his teams to 2 Grey Cup appearances. He has the opportunity to get back at the team that turned its back on him I the year they host the Grey Cup. There is a ton of motivation there. I like Chad Kelly, and think he is ready for primetime. But it's a long season and injuries happen. Look at the Grey Cup game. It took 2 QBs to win. Am I right in assuming Hamilton needs to release him at some point because they can't carry his contract?
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 10%, Points required for next Level: 363
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    I would be open to Dane Evans coming here to compete. He is young. He has led his teams to 2 Grey Cup appearances. He has the opportunity to get back at the team that turned its back on him I the year they host the Grey Cup. There is a ton of motivation there. I like Chad Kelly, and think he is ready for primetime. But it's a long season and injuries happen. Look at the Grey Cup game. It took 2 QBs to win. Am I right in assuming Hamilton needs to release him at some point because they can't carry his contract?
    I thought I read Evans does not have any bonus payment until training camp. So the Cats could hold on to him till then.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 48
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    I thought I read Evans does not have any bonus payment until training camp. So the Cats could hold on to him till then.
    That's what I thought,otherwise they would have already. That's okay. I'm sure his preference would be to come here. It's not a massive move, gets to play against Hamilton alot, contender, etc...
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 49%, Points required for next Level: 258
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Well it would have been nice if he decided last week! The Argos could have forced him to decide then, but I assume they want to leave the back door open if he doesn't get an NFL shot and we're in a bad spot with QB by Labour day. Looking forward to Kelly taking it to the next level!
    We don't know that he didn't.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    We don't know that he didn't.
    We also don't know that he had an offer on the table last week. I imagine the USFL does not factor CFL free agency into its operations.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    They are likely to hold him hostage until the last minute, to keep him out of Toronto's clutches and prevent him from learning the Argo playbook during the off-season. It's a nasty way to treat a guy who a year earlier was the face of the franchise, but I guess that's what he faces at this point. Players will notice this, and at some point someone's gonna turn down an offer from Hamilton because of it. What goes around comes around.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    They are likely to hold him hostage until the last minute, to keep him out of Toronto's clutches and prevent him from learning the Argo playbook during the off-season. It's a nasty way to treat a guy who a year earlier was the face of the franchise, but I guess that's what he faces at this point. Players will notice this, and at some point someone's gonna turn down an offer from Hamilton because of it. What goes around comes around.
    It's very nasty, and really unnecessary. The learning the playbook aspect is not a big issue. He's not new to the league. I mean how long did it take ZC to step in and have success with Winnipeg in 2019? Same with Vernon Adams in BC last year. The nasty aspect is the treatment of the player who now has to wait to find housing in whatever city he ends up with and closing out any personal business he may have before camp. It just adds a lot of unnecessary stress on the player.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Could the Pussycats play real nasty with Evans, and, CFL teams who might want him, by placing him on the 6 game IR to start the season? Maybe not if he does not participate in Ticat TC ?

More likely, they play a waiting game and maybe try to get something in a trade for him come closer to reg. season ?