Thread: QBs, so ...

Boatman
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 179
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Not sure I'd have cited Rourke as proof that the CFL needn't worry about losing good QBs like, erm, Rourke.
    The hope has to be that Rourke will get very tired of being practice listed... or even worse, passed around from team to team as an emergency injury replacement. It'll take a pretty big offer to get him back into the CFL though. It could happen... in a year or two.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Not sure I'd have cited Rourke as proof that the CFL needn't worry about losing good QBs like, erm, Rourke.

And the CFL lost Joe Theismann, Warren Moon, Dieter Brock, Tom Clements, Jeff Garcia, Henry Burris, even Ricky Ray & Dave Dickenson for a spell, to NFL opportunity in the past; yet, somehow, the CFL managed to survive and is still around. That, plus the NFL super experts write-off top CFL talent (at certain positions, including QB) moreso than ever in the past IMO. The sky is not falling.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I think that we all have nostalgia for the QBs of our youth, but I do often wonder if we aren't far too hard on today's QBs and maybe give a pass to old-time QBs that we don't give to today's.

QBs used to throw way more interceptions back in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s. For example, Tom Clements threw 30 INTs to go along with a 56.8 completion percentage and a QB efficiency rating of 81 back in 1987. He won the MOP. Similar stats for a QB today would not go over well with coaches and fans.

The reality is that it is tougher to be a QB now than at any time in the league's history. You need to have a completion percentage of at least 66% and you need to throw many more TD passes than INTs (not the 35:30 ratio of Clements in 1987). Defences are more complex than ever before too. I would argue that far more is expected of today's QBs than those of the past and that, by and large, the crop of QBs we have in today's CFL aren't too bad, especially when one considers that scoring today is at a similar level to the 1980s CFL and much higher than the 1970s CFL.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I think that we all have nostalgia for the QBs of our youth, but I do often wonder if we aren't far too hard on today's QBs and maybe give a pass to old-time QBs that we don't give to today's.

QBs used to throw way more interceptions back in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s. For example, Tom Clements threw 30 INTs to go along with a 56.8 completion percentage and a QB efficiency rating of 81 back in 1987. He won the MOP. Similar stats for a QB today would not go over well with coaches and fans.

The reality is that it is tougher to be a QB now than at any time in the league's history. You need to have a completion percentage of at least 66% and you need to throw many more TD passes than INTs (not the 35:30 ratio of Clements in 1987). Defences are more complex than ever before too. I would argue that far more is expected of today's QBs than those of the past and that, by and large, the crop of QBs we have in today's CFL aren't too bad, especially when one considers that scoring today is at a similar level to the 1980s CFL and much higher than the 1970s CFL.
    We might have some nostalgia for great QBs of CFL past; but have to disagree on your assessment of modern day CFL QBs having a tougher job nowdays; sorry, offences are simpler than ever and designed for safe dink & dunk passing games that lead to much higher completion percentages and less taking chances or deep shots that can result in INTs. And the top CFL QBs of the past would be superstars in today's game. Agreed, that QBing now is not as bad as some think though. Not sure if you equate high scoring levels with great football, but I sure don't.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    https://www.argonauts.ca/2023/03/09/argonauts-sign-qb-cameron-dukes-wr-david-ungerer-iii/

QB Cameron Dukes from the Indoor Football League and former TiCat WR David Ungerer III
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    We might have some nostalgia for great QBs of CFL past; but have to disagree on your assessment of modern day CFL QBs having a tougher job nowdays; sorry, offences are simpler than ever and designed for safe dink & dunk passing games that lead to much higher completion percentages and less taking chances or deep shots that can result in INTs. And the top CFL QBs of the past would be superstars in today's game. Agreed, that QBing now is not as bad as some think though. Not sure if you equate high scoring levels with great football, but I sure don't.
    I'm not disagreeing that the approach to offence is much different (and IMO much less entertaining) than 30ish years ago, but those QBs didn't have to deal with constantly rotating (and therefore fresh) pass rushers or six DBs as the basic package. I would bet (but obviously can't prove) that the amount of time QBs have to throw now is reduced compared with QBs of that era, and the number of defensive looks/packages is higher now than it was then. I agree that top QBs of the past would (for the most part, if not uniformly) excel in today's game, but even if Matt Dunigan and Damon Allen were reincarnated, I doubt we'd see them able to successfully take a lot of deep shots.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm not disagreeing that the approach to offence is much different (and IMO much less entertaining) than 30ish years ago, but those QBs didn't have to deal with constantly rotating (and therefore fresh) pass rushers or six DBs as the basic package. I would bet (but obviously can't prove) that the amount of time QBs have to throw now is reduced compared with QBs of that era, and the number of defensive looks/packages is higher now than it was then. I agree that top QBs of the past would (for the most part, if not uniformly) excel in today's game, but even if Matt Dunigan and Damon Allen were reincarnated, I doubt we'd see them able to successfully take a lot of deep shots.

Football can be very trendy and copy-cat like in terms of style of play and play-books/calling. Can dictate personnel deployed. Same old look, thinking and play-calling is dumb football IMO (so I like the idea of rotating in fresh D-linemen for variety and energy; but you're certainly not going to see O-Lines do that)

The CFL defences of some time ago had to be able to deal with much more diversity on offence; applied ground game with 2 different backs; a big tight end who could block or be a pass catching threat; way more balance on offence; more deep threat passing game. So they couldn't always just pin their ears back and go after QBs with pass rush. And there were more better all-around talent defences in the past IMO; watch that 71 GC game and both teams' QBs were swarmed most of the game with little time to sit, read and make throws, and it wasn't because the Ds were rotating in fresh (and less talented) back-up D-Linemen.

And I have no trouble / little doubt judging most positions/players based on pure talent and overall football skills they demonstrated on the football field, regardless of the era or styles of play. A great football player is a great player period, IMO (though the 245-250 pound O-Linemen of the past would have to bulk up to play nowdays - easily done with modern training & applied diets/supplements; just like the lightweight cover S-OLBs of today would be in for a rude awakening against run pounded at them or dealing with big fullbacks or TEs). QB talents like Russ Jackson or Matt Dunigan would dominate in today's CFL IMO - both examples of easily better talents at a specific position compared to today's best, (say Collaros at QB, who IMO is still very good). And they were total package talents who were run threats and could & would throw lots of deep bomb strikes; plus likely had more say in play calls/selection or improvising (as opposed to today's QBs instructed into throwing so many 5 yard gainer check-downs or hitch passes - nice completion % though)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    https://www.argonauts.ca/2023/03/09/argonauts-sign-qb-cameron-dukes-wr-david-ungerer-iii/

QB Cameron Dukes from the Indoor Football League and former TiCat WR David Ungerer III
    I really like the signing of Ungerer. I was hoping they would sign him. Has good quickness and can also return punts if needed.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I really like the signing of Ungerer. I was hoping they would sign him. Has good quickness and can also return punts if needed.
    After 3 years with a semi-professional team in Hamilton I’m sure Ungerer is thrilled to join the reigning World Champions!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    After 3 years with a semi-professional team in Hamilton I’m sure Ungerer is thrilled to join the reigning World Champions!
    Hahahaha.
    It's us vs the rest of the country