Thread: QBs, so ...

Hybrid View

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 396
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I think NFL interest in CFL QBs is being over estimated here. Last year when the discussion about Nathan Rourke to NFL was on I discussed this with Farhan Lalji. My reasoning was for Rourke was to come back to the Lions and put together a couple more record breaking seasons, maybe win a championship and he could write his own ticket, get keys to a starting job in the NFL the way Moon, Brock, Flutie did. Rather than compete for a 2nd or 3rd string opportunity.
    Lalji told me that simply will not happen in today's football world. Does not matter anymore what a QB accomplishes in Canada they will never be handed the keys to a franchise.
    I was a little surprised that the NFL has that low regard for our league.
    I don't agree with it, but it is their own ignorance, just like black QBS in the 70s, 80s and smaller, mobile QBs in the 90s. And it will let us enjoy their talents for longer here.
    MBT, Collaros, Rourke today quite clearly are better than guys down there getting starts in the NFL but I dont see them getting a serious consideration. Rourke will, and he will be starting within a few years for someone.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    I think NFL interest in CFL QBs is being over estimated here. Last year when the discussion about Nathan Rourke to NFL was on I discussed this with Farhan Lalji. My reasoning was for Rourke was to come back to the Lions and put together a couple more record breaking seasons, maybe win a championship and he could write his own ticket, get keys to a starting job in the NFL the way Moon, Brock, Flutie did. Rather than compete for a 2nd or 3rd string opportunity.
    Lalji told me that simply will not happen in today's football world. Does not matter anymore what a QB accomplishes in Canada they will never be handed the keys to a franchise.
    I was a little surprised that the NFL has that low regard for our league.
    I don't agree with it, but it is their own ignorance, just like black QBS in the 70s, 80s and smaller, mobile QBs in the 90s. And it will let us enjoy their talents for longer here.
    MBT, Collaros, Rourke today quite clearly are better than guys down there getting starts in the NFL but I dont see them getting a serious consideration. Rourke will, and he will be starting within a few years for someone.
    Even Rourke really didn't get a lot of offers that checked all the boxes for him. Jacksonville was one of the few (only?) teams to guarantee him a shot at the #2 position. I agree that NFL teams, in general, don't hold CFL QBs in that high regard (their loss), especially those who have been out of the NFL for years like MBT and Chad Kelly (and Kelly has some significant baggage at that).
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I'd like to see/hear about the signing of another QB or two for TC, and sooner than later. No thanks to recycling mediocres like Arbuckle or Shiltz; rather roll with new talent and see if they have something vs. average to more like weak talents, but who are CFL "experienced".

Would be a gamble of sorts if MBT does not return and then to roll with Kelly as #1 with little CFL experience behind him, but still rather go with young & new talent; the Argos did find BOTH Zack Collaros & Trevor Harris in one off-season; and the example of the 75 Ottawa Rough Riders who went with rookie QBs out of US college ball in Clements & Holloway (plus had CIS star QB Bill Robinson in camp who made 3rd stringer), should not be forgotten or ignored IMO.

With the new USFL & XFL taking up some QB talent, plus NFL rosters being larger than ever, there might not be near the selection of good US college ball QBs for the CFL to look at or attract as decades ago, but there are still bound to be some good ones (QBs get cut by the NFL every year, and others out of college ball like Rourke are written-off by the super experts). And the continued ignorance of or lack of respect for Canadian QB talent by the GOBs - at a time when some CFL teams are in real need for TC competition - is appalling myopia IMO. The Argo thinkers are quite Ok with bringing in this kid from Div II Tarleton State, but I guess they never heard of top U Sports QB talent ? Andreas Dueck of McMaster is coming off 3 years of being a starter there, and on a good team led them to a National Semi back in 2019 when he was 2nd in the country in passing, and in the past 2 years of average Mac teams he has passed for an outstanding well over 65% completion %, and he has pro QB size, so no excuses there - why would he not be given a chance for a team in real QB need? Same with a couple of ex U Sports starters in Kaleb Scott (Saint Mary's) and Brett Hunchak (York) who are continuing to play football (call it semi-pro if need be) over in Europe and led their teams to the title game in the France league.

Argo personnel people may be waiting to see how the NFL draft shakes out to see who is left-over for possible signings, but IMO looking far & wide is a much smarter approach, and that includes not being ignoramuses about Canadian QB talent; we'll see if we hear any possible Argo interest in Michael O'Connor.
    Last edited by OV Argo; 02-04-2023 at 03:57 PM.

Don
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Arbuckle re-signed with the Redblacks.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Arbuckle re-signed with the Redblacks.
    Good. At least this stops any thoughts of him returning to Toronto.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    IF this means the RedBlacks are no longer interested in Caleb Evans (they did have all 3 last year though), then the Argos should be all over signing him IMO; bet he could beat out Kelly for the starting job in real competition.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 346
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    IF this means the RedBlacks are no longer interested in Caleb Evans (they did have all 3 last year though), then the Argos should be all over signing him IMO; bet he could beat out Kelly for the starting job in real competition.
    I'll take that bet.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    I'll take that bet.

Based on what? - Kelly's NFL family connections or NCAA pedigree or notoriety? Certainly not based on anything seen on a CFL field.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 481
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Based on what? - Kelly's NFL family connections or NCAA pedigree or notoriety? Certainly not based on anything seen on a CFL field.
    In 2021 Nathan Rourke threw 82 passes with 3TD and 5INT, and in 2022 he was named the BC starter. Based on what?

In 2022 Chad Kelly threw 51 passes with 2TD 3INT. If he had thrown 81 passes like Rourke, would THAT be enough judge him on?

And you can’t seriously be suggesting that Kelly’s play in the Grey Cup revealed NOTHING about the guy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    In 2021 Nathan Rourke threw 82 passes with 3TD and 5INT, and in 2022 he was named the BC starter. Based on what?

In 2022 Chad Kelly threw 51 passes with 2TD 3INT. If he had thrown 81 passes like Rourke, would THAT be enough judge him on?

And you can’t seriously be suggesting that Kelly’s play in the Grey Cup revealed NOTHING about the guy.

Hey, Chad Kelly was impressive in a very small sample of work last year; Rourke was quite a bit more impressive in his rookie season that saw him in line to be # 1 there; but this is more about the comparison to Caleb Evans - do you watch other CFL teams play or just the Argos? - sorry, but C. Evans has just demonstrated way more QB skill on an actual CFL field thus far than Kelly has - like beating the Argos in a full game start last year where he was over 80% passing; and sure he's had more time to show young QB mistakes like picks, but arm strength wise plus mobility he has just shown more than Kelly, and playing on a much more limited offence with a dullard of an offensive coach. Like a bit of what I've seen from Kelly so far though, but sorry for not being all ga ga over big name US college ball resumes .

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I have a lot of confidence in Kelly, but let’s get serious about the Grey Cup game. He had a great scramble, but in the end he orchestrated a 34 yard TD drive. The short field due to the great punt return by Leake was the key to the TD IMO. Some make it sound like he led a 109 yard TD drive for the win. And as I said, I am very high on Kelly. I was really happy when they acquired his rights for Arbuckle
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    You mean Dane Evans.

Caleb Evans is the one who keeps throwing pick-sixes against the Argos.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    You mean Dane Evans.

Caleb Evans is the one who keeps throwing pick-sixes against the Argos.
    You mean the Caleb Evans who beat the Argos in a full start last season ?; Dane Evans - Ticats - is the guy who panics and gives the ball away lots.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Yes, he did beat the the Argos this season, but he's also thrown 6 interceptions in the two other games against them.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Yes, he did beat the the Argos this season, but he's also thrown 6 interceptions in the two other games against them.
    Late in the game in the last one, with the RedBlacks way behind and in desperation mode (last gasps to make the play-offs) (musta come up with some real un-typical LaPo same-old to win the earlier game with C. Evans starting and going over 80% completions)' Arbuckle entrusted with the final 2 starts vs. the Argos and with the RedBlacks play-off lives on the line, at home = 2 losses; vs. the Evans start & win on the road.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    With the signings coming along as steadily as they have these last several days, the timeframe until FA shortening, and with the complete lack of anyone in the know saying anything substantive about Bethel-Thompson... it feels like the Club might have that done and are saving it until the other ones are all done.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    No he doesn't.

That piece on cfl.ca is a misinterpretation of what Lalji reported. His tweet said: "QB McLeod Bethel Thompson has informed #Argos that he is planning to play again in 2023. If he plays in @CFL it will be in Toronto. The club is hopeful for a final answer before the start of free agency but will be patient. Money is rarely the determining factor for MBT"

So, to summarize:

1. He plans to play in 2023
    2. If he plays in the CFL it will be with the Argos

The unspoken but obvious inference is that he might play in the United States, not in the CFL. And Lalji had a subsequent tweet speculating on what might happen:

"Harris to Sask
    Fajardo to Mtl
    Evans to Tor (if MBT plays in [American flag emoji], otherwise to Mtl to compete with Cody. Sound reasonable?"

So clearly Lalji believes that MBT playing somewhere other than the CFL is a possibility.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    No he doesn't.

That piece on cfl.ca is a misinterpretation of what Lalji reported. His tweet said: "QB McLeod Bethel Thompson has informed #Argos that he is planning to play again in 2023. If he plays in @CFL it will be in Toronto. The club is hopeful for a final answer before the start of free agency but will be patient. Money is rarely the determining factor for MBT"

So, to summarize:

1. He plans to play in 2023
    2. If he plays in the CFL it will be with the Argos

The unspoken but obvious inference is that he might play in the United States, not in the CFL. And Lalji had a subsequent tweet speculating on what might happen:

"Harris to Sask
    Fajardo to Mtl
    Evans to Tor (if MBT plays in [American flag emoji], otherwise to Mtl to compete with Cody. Sound reasonable?"

So clearly Lalji believes that MBT playing somewhere other than the CFL is a possibility.
    That is definitely one way to interpret that.
    I would suggest that it is not the only way which you could.

I think he gets announced after the remaining re-signing veterans.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    That is definitely one way to interpret that.
    I would suggest that it is not the only way which you could.

I think he gets announced after the remaining re-signing veterans.
    I don't think "if" means anything other than "if," but I guess we will find out.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7