Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: QBs, so ...

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Yes, he did beat the the Argos this season, but he's also thrown 6 interceptions in the two other games against them.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Yes, he did beat the the Argos this season, but he's also thrown 6 interceptions in the two other games against them.
    Late in the game in the last one, with the RedBlacks way behind and in desperation mode (last gasps to make the play-offs) (musta come up with some real un-typical LaPo same-old to win the earlier game with C. Evans starting and going over 80% completions)' Arbuckle entrusted with the final 2 starts vs. the Argos and with the RedBlacks play-off lives on the line, at home = 2 losses; vs. the Evans start & win on the road.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    How else should we interpret "plans to play this year, will only play in Toronto IF he plays in the CFL"? He surely is not interested in playing in the X or the U, so what's left other than the NFL?
    I think he could be interested in playing in the USFL. While the money isn't CFL-money, it's a short season and allows him to keep his foot in the game while only playing for 10 to 12 weeks. For him, money may not be a primary motivator right now.

As much as there should be NFL interest in him, I highly doubt that there is.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I think he could be interested in playing in the USFL. While the money isn't CFL-money, it's a short season and allows him to keep his foot in the game while only playing for 10 to 12 weeks. For him, money may not be a primary motivator right now.

As much as there should be NFL interest in him, I highly doubt that there is.
    Not CFL money is an understatement: salaries max out around $55,000 US. I can't see him doing that unless it's a direct ticket to an NFL camp. And since NFL is aligned with XFL, that seems unlikely.

Whether or not there is NFL interest in him obviously remains to be seen (altho Farhan suggests two teams have contacted him), but I have no doubt he is interested in getting back to the NFL. And I really doubt he'd even consider the USFL.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Based on what? - Kelly's NFL family connections or NCAA pedigree or notoriety? Certainly not based on anything seen on a CFL field.
    In 2021 Nathan Rourke threw 82 passes with 3TD and 5INT, and in 2022 he was named the BC starter. Based on what?

In 2022 Chad Kelly threw 51 passes with 2TD 3INT. If he had thrown 81 passes like Rourke, would THAT be enough judge him on?

And you can’t seriously be suggesting that Kelly’s play in the Grey Cup revealed NOTHING about the guy.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    In 2021 Nathan Rourke threw 82 passes with 3TD and 5INT, and in 2022 he was named the BC starter. Based on what?

In 2022 Chad Kelly threw 51 passes with 2TD 3INT. If he had thrown 81 passes like Rourke, would THAT be enough judge him on?

And you can’t seriously be suggesting that Kelly’s play in the Grey Cup revealed NOTHING about the guy.

Hey, Chad Kelly was impressive in a very small sample of work last year; Rourke was quite a bit more impressive in his rookie season that saw him in line to be # 1 there; but this is more about the comparison to Caleb Evans - do you watch other CFL teams play or just the Argos? - sorry, but C. Evans has just demonstrated way more QB skill on an actual CFL field thus far than Kelly has - like beating the Argos in a full game start last year where he was over 80% passing; and sure he's had more time to show young QB mistakes like picks, but arm strength wise plus mobility he has just shown more than Kelly, and playing on a much more limited offence with a dullard of an offensive coach. Like a bit of what I've seen from Kelly so far though, but sorry for not being all ga ga over big name US college ball resumes .

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I have a lot of confidence in Kelly, but let’s get serious about the Grey Cup game. He had a great scramble, but in the end he orchestrated a 34 yard TD drive. The short field due to the great punt return by Leake was the key to the TD IMO. Some make it sound like he led a 109 yard TD drive for the win. And as I said, I am very high on Kelly. I was really happy when they acquired his rights for Arbuckle
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 5%, Points required for next Level: 381
    Overall activity: 99.3%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Hey, Chad Kelly was impressive in a very small sample of work last year; Rourke was quite a bit more impressive in his rookie season that saw him in line to be # 1 there; but this is more about the comparison to Caleb Evans - do you watch other CFL teams play or just the Argos? - sorry, but C. Evans has just demonstrated way more QB skill on an actual CFL field thus far than Kelly has - like beating the Argos in a full game start last year where he was over 80% passing; and sure he's had more time to show young QB mistakes like picks, but arm strength wise plus mobility he has just shown more than Kelly, and playing on a much more limited offence with a dullard of an offensive coach. Like a bit of what I've seen from Kelly so far though, but sorry for not being all ga ga over big name US college ball resumes .
    I've seen long time CFL QB's lose their nerves in the Grey Cup game. Kevin Glenn in 2012 comes to mind. I think Kelly's heroics last November showed he won't fold under pressure. That is a valuable trait not all QB's have.
    Last edited by "Issues"Mcgee; 02-06-2023 at 12:53 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 194
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    With the signings coming along as steadily as they have these last several days, the timeframe until FA shortening, and with the complete lack of anyone in the know saying anything substantive about Bethel-Thompson... it feels like the Club might have that done and are saving it until the other ones are all done.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Boatman
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Not CFL money is an understatement: salaries max out around $55,000 US. I can't see him doing that unless it's a direct ticket to an NFL camp. And since NFL is aligned with XFL, that seems unlikely.

Whether or not there is NFL interest in him obviously remains to be seen (altho Farhan suggests two teams have contacted him), but I have no doubt he is interested in getting back to the NFL. And I really doubt he'd even consider the USFL.
    Don't know much about the NFL, but isn't MBT at almost 35 years old a little long in the tooth to be considered by the NFL at this point in his career?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    No he doesn't.

That piece on cfl.ca is a misinterpretation of what Lalji reported. His tweet said: "QB McLeod Bethel Thompson has informed #Argos that he is planning to play again in 2023. If he plays in @CFL it will be in Toronto. The club is hopeful for a final answer before the start of free agency but will be patient. Money is rarely the determining factor for MBT"

So, to summarize:

1. He plans to play in 2023
    2. If he plays in the CFL it will be with the Argos

The unspoken but obvious inference is that he might play in the United States, not in the CFL. And Lalji had a subsequent tweet speculating on what might happen:

"Harris to Sask
    Fajardo to Mtl
    Evans to Tor (if MBT plays in [American flag emoji], otherwise to Mtl to compete with Cody. Sound reasonable?"

So clearly Lalji believes that MBT playing somewhere other than the CFL is a possibility.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by kellynjk View Post
    Don't know much about the NFL, but isn't MBT at almost 35 years old a little long in the tooth to be considered by the NFL at this point in his career?
    Addressed this earlier in the thread. Yes, he might not (or might) find any NFL interest. His age seems to make it a longshot. But clearly he wants to find out for himself.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    No he doesn't.

That piece on cfl.ca is a misinterpretation of what Lalji reported. His tweet said: "QB McLeod Bethel Thompson has informed #Argos that he is planning to play again in 2023. If he plays in @CFL it will be in Toronto. The club is hopeful for a final answer before the start of free agency but will be patient. Money is rarely the determining factor for MBT"

So, to summarize:

1. He plans to play in 2023
    2. If he plays in the CFL it will be with the Argos

The unspoken but obvious inference is that he might play in the United States, not in the CFL. And Lalji had a subsequent tweet speculating on what might happen:

"Harris to Sask
    Fajardo to Mtl
    Evans to Tor (if MBT plays in [American flag emoji], otherwise to Mtl to compete with Cody. Sound reasonable?"

So clearly Lalji believes that MBT playing somewhere other than the CFL is a possibility.
    That is definitely one way to interpret that.
    I would suggest that it is not the only way which you could.

I think he gets announced after the remaining re-signing veterans.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Pussycats have re-signed Schlitz; = thank Gawd; that the Argos were not that stupid to sign the mediocre out of desperation. I'd rather roll with the local HS star QB. ;o)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 379
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Pussycats have re-signed Schlitz; = thank Gawd; that the Argos were not that stupid to sign the mediocre out of desperation. I'd rather roll with the local HS star QB. ;o)
    It is starting to make me wonder who the team will sign as a backup QB. Hamilton will probably prefer to trade Evans out west rather than let him sign with one of the Eastern teams (especially the Argos). If MBT does not sign with the Argos in the next little while, the team will have to sign someone. Wonder if Jacob Evans is being considered? Any thoughts anyone?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    That is definitely one way to interpret that.
    I would suggest that it is not the only way which you could.

I don't think "if" means anything other than "if," but I guess we will find out.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 929
    Overall activity: 67.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    It is starting to make me wonder who the team will sign as a backup QB. Hamilton will probably prefer to trade Evans out west rather than let him sign with one of the Eastern teams (especially the Argos). If MBT does not sign with the Argos in the next little while, the team will have to sign someone. Wonder if Jacob Evans is being considered? Any thoughts anyone?
    I think Dane Evans will be cut prior to Free Agency. Every team knows he is done in Hamilton so there is no point in making a trade. A hard NO to Caleb Evans if that is who you were referring to.

Boatman
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Addressed this earlier in the thread. Yes, he might not (or might) find any NFL interest. His age seems to make it a longshot. But clearly he wants to find out for himself.
    Or sorry didn't see that earlier in this thread. I can appreciate that if his spouse is working and needs to be based in California, that he might want to find some situation that accommodates that or is any easier commute to California. If he does re-sign with the Argos, do you think he's be the starter or will he have to share duties with Kelly. If I were Kelly I wouldn't be keen to once again play that role (sent in on short runs etc) I would want the chance to be the starting QB for at least some of the games.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level

I agree with you. I was always under the impression that the Argos had agreements with most of their top FA’s but were just slowly announcing them. Not a bad way to keep yourself in the news.
    It's us vs the rest of the country