Reply to Thread
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level

Chris Schultz Hall of Fame Induction (Media Wing)

A very well deserved honour for the late Chris Schultz.
    I still miss seeing him on the TSN panel and also listening on Argo radio broadcasts with Mike Hogan.
    Sadly gone too soon.

https://3downnation.com/2023/03/16/l...-hall-of-fame/
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Don
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    He definitely deserves to be inducted for his broadcasting work, but I feel he is also worthy to have been inducted for his playing career as well.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    DB Larry Crawford and OL Josh Bourke are former Argos who were also announced as inductees, however they are more associated with the Lions and Alouettes respectively.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.5%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    He definitely deserves to be inducted for his broadcasting work, but I feel he is also worthy to have been inducted for his playing career as well.
    How often was Schultz a divisional/league all-star? I don't know the answer to that question but I imagine that is a factor. Also, I don't believe he was ever nominated from the East for top offensive lineman. I can't recall that happening anyway.

Rocco Romano made it into the CFHOF years ago and his accomplishments, while respectable, may not necessarily have been HOF worthy. I would consider Schultz to have been a superior lineman although Romano, I believe, played guard while Schultz played the very visible left tackle position. Lloyd Fairbanks is only getting in this year and probably should have been inducted long ago. DB Larry Crawford is way overdue for induction IMO and it is nice to see it finally happen for him.

EDIT: I just checked Wikipedia and this is what they have:

In 1986, Schultz returned to Canada to play for the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League (CFL), who owned his rights after drafting him in the first round of the 1982 CFL Draft. He played in 124 games for the Argos over his nine-year career.[4] Schultz was named a CFL All-Star twice (1987, 1988), appeared in the Grey Cup in 1987 and was a member of the 1991 Grey Cup championship team.
    In 2007, he was named to the Argonauts All-time team.

I am not sure that those are HOF numbers for Schultz which is why I can see him being inducted for his media work as opposed to his playing career, which was not a bad one by any measure.
    Cameron Dukes + Dan Adeboboye + Kevin Mital + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    How often was Schultz a divisional/league all-star? I don't know the answer to that question but I imagine that is a factor. Also, I don't believe he was ever nominated from the East for top offensive lineman. I can't recall that happening anyway.

Rocco Romano made it into the CFHOF years ago and his accomplishments, while respectable, may not necessarily have been HOF worthy. I would consider Schultz to have been a superior lineman although Romano, I believe, played guard while Schultz played the very visible left tackle position. Lloyd Fairbanks is only getting in this year and probably should have been inducted long ago. DB Larry Crawford is way overdue for induction IMO and it is nice to see it finally happen for him.

EDIT: I just checked Wikipedia and this is what they have:

In 1986, Schultz returned to Canada to play for the Toronto Argonauts of the Canadian Football League (CFL), who owned his rights after drafting him in the first round of the 1982 CFL Draft. He played in 124 games for the Argos over his nine-year career.[4] Schultz was named a CFL All-Star twice (1987, 1988), appeared in the Grey Cup in 1987 and was a member of the 1991 Grey Cup championship team.
    In 2007, he was named to the Argonauts All-time team.

I am not sure that those are HOF numbers for Schultz which is why I can see him being inducted for his media work as opposed to his playing career, which was not a bad one by any measure.
    Chris was also an East all-star in 91 Ravi; and IMO he deserves to be in the HOF based on his playing career - nine seasons where he was a top OT and helped his team to 2 GC appearances. And not sure if the Canadian Football HOF weighs NFL experience at all, but they should IMO; just like they started to recognize all-time Canadian University ball players = so the total of the guy's career. Schultz's NFL time adds to his lengthy CFL resume; just like an Eric Lapointe's all-time great Canadian college ball resume gets topped up by a fine CFL career as well, so the total of football playing experience counts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.6%
    Achievements:

Level
    Every year I get disappointed by errors and omissions. Schultz is definitely worthy of induction as a broadcaster, not sure he would be as a player altho Rocco Romano's induction means almost anything is possible. But why is DK Smith overlooked time after time? His career numbers are almost identical to David Williams', and IMO he was as or more feared than Williams. Also Reggie Pleasant and Carl Brazley. Both compare favourably to Crawford IMO.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Chris was also an East all-star in 91 Ravi; and IMO he deserves to be in the HOF based on his playing career - nine seasons where he was a top OT and helped his team to 2 GC appearances. And not sure if the Canadian Football HOF weighs NFL experience at all, but they should IMO; just like they started to recognize all-time Canadian University ball players = so the total of the guy's career. Schultz's NFL time adds to his lengthy CFL resume; just like an Eric Lapointe's all-time great Canadian college ball resume gets topped up by a fine CFL career as well, so the total of football playing experience counts.
    I'm pretty sure Lapointe was inducted solely for his college accomplishments.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I'm pretty sure Lapointe was inducted solely for his college accomplishments.

Yes; so was Chris Flynn; but I'm saying they should look at total college ball and all pro accomplishments; add Lapointe's all-time great CIS RB resume(including 2 time Hec winner) to his years of very under-rated CFL play (2 time GC Champ and led a GC game in rushing; twice the longest run from scrimmage in a CFL season; career 6+ yards/carry CFL average (quite rare)) = Canadian Football (not CFL) HOF worthy easily, IMO.

Agreed Brazley & Pleasant should be there.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Every year I get disappointed by errors and omissions. Schultz is definitely worthy of induction as a broadcaster, not sure he would be as a player altho Rocco Romano's induction means almost anything is possible. But why is DK Smith overlooked time after time? His career numbers are almost identical to David Williams', and IMO he was as or more feared than Williams. Also Reggie Pleasant and Carl Brazley. Both compare favourably to Crawford IMO.
    While I acknowledge that this isn't the be all and end all, Crawford did have more career interceptions than either Pleasant or Brazley and was featured more on punt/kick returns than the others. He also got more nods as an all-CFL player.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Schultz should be in the HOF as a player, high level of play over an extended period of time (multiple All-Star and Grey Cup Champion).
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Schultz should be in the HOF as a player, high level of play over an extended period of time (multiple All-Star and Grey Cup Champion).
    I don't disagree, but the number of superb players who are not in the Hall -- and the handful of marginal guys who are in it -- have left me feeling it will never accurately reflect the best of the best.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I don't disagree, but the number of superb players who are not in the Hall -- and the handful of marginal guys who are in it -- have left me feeling it will never accurately reflect the best of the best.
    Sadly a common problem with most sports.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions