Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Obviously his transition to the CFL game is what is going to determine how well he will do but I'm more concerned about who we have behind him should Kelly get injured.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    Obviously his transition to the CFL game is what is going to determine how well he will do but I'm more concerned about who we have behind him should Kelly get injured.
    That’s my main concern as well, if Kelly struggles or gets injured the Argos have no safety net as things sit right now.
    Argos have assembled a very solid roster but are woefully thin at QB which happens to be the most important position on the field.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    That’s my main concern as well, if Kelly struggles or gets injured the Argos have no safety net as things sit right now.
    Argos have assembled a very solid roster but are woefully thin at QB which happens to be the most important position on the field.
    I don't disagree but, sadly, there are few viable options out there. The best one would be MBT if he could be lured back up here, but not sure that the chances are very good of that happening.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I don't disagree but, sadly, there are few viable options out there. The best one would be MBT if he could be lured back up here, but not sure that the chances are very good of that happening.
    I will eat one of my Harry Ornest-vintage Argo hats if that happens. Chances are zero, IMO.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Yup, not many options out there.

Pipkin is NOT an option.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I will eat one of my Harry Ornest-vintage Argo hats if that happens. Chances are zero, IMO.
    After two weeks of USFL season, MBT is #1 rated QB. So maybe this bodes well for him in getting a real look in NFL training camps and a shot at making a roster.

And while I agree that chances of him coming back are not high, if things don't work out for him NFL-wise, could there not be a POSSIBILITY, that he could be enticed to come back after Labour Day for the back half of the season? It would be much less time away from his family, and if his competitive juices were still flowing, I could see that potentially being of interest.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    ances of him coming back are not high, if things don't work out for him NFL-wise, could there not be a POSSIBILITY, that he could be enticed to come back after Labour Day for the back half of the season? It would be much less time away from his family, and if his competitive juices were still flowing, I could see that potentially being of interest.
    I can't.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    After two weeks of USFL season, MBT is #1 rated QB. So maybe this bodes well for him in getting a real look in NFL training camps and a shot at making a roster.

And while I agree that chances of him coming back are not high, if things don't work out for him NFL-wise, could there not be a POSSIBILITY, that he could be enticed to come back after Labour Day for the back half of the season? It would be much less time away from his family, and if his competitive juices were still flowing, I could see that potentially being of interest.
    MBT had plenty of time to make his decision and chose to leave, time for everyone to move on.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Yup, not many options out there.

Pipkin is NOT an option.
    Neither is Michael O'Connor either I guess?

A football site's (Canadian Football Perspective) mock draft has the Argos trading their 1st picks this draft to get Tre Ford from the EE; LOL

Boatman
    Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 97
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:

Level

No NFL team is signing MBT even if he throws for 4000 yards in usfl. 27 is too old in NFL for marginal players, 34 is a no go. USFL is two steps below cfl, let alone nfl.

He took a 400k pay cut to play in usfl, so money isn’t the issue. Given that he makes in 2 games in cfl which he makes whole usfl season, and he only would miss 3 Argo games with usfl season, u could see him double dipping. But I think he is semi retired in Atlanta.
    Last edited by Shipyard; 04-28-2023 at 01:54 AM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:

Level

Talking

It would’ve been good to have MBT as a possible ace in the hole after Labour Day in case Kelly laid an egg in the first half of the season. But I think Kelly will deliver at least decent QBing, and maybe better than that.

The bigger question may be who emerges as QB2. Surely we will sign at least one more rookie QB for camp, and I gotta believe the braintrust is waiting another week or so to see which of their prospects sign in the NFL.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    It would’ve been good to have MBT as a possible ace in the hole after Labour Day in case Kelly laid an egg in the first half of the season. But I think Kelly will deliver at least decent QBing, and maybe better than that.

The bigger question may be who emerges as QB2. Surely we will sign at least one more rookie QB for camp, and I gotta believe the braintrust is waiting another week or so to see which of their prospects sign in the NFL.

There's the whole thing on which our season depends. To think that we could assemble a team that looks this good and be dependent on Chad Kelly, and only Chad Kelly seems like madness to me... But here we are.

On the bright side: if he is playing at a "decent" level (as you've put it) by mid-August, it's likely that we win the East.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    There is no way MBT comes back. He went straight home after winning the Grey Cup and wrote a public goodbye letter to the CFL.

I think a trade is the more likely scenario.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    There is no way MBT comes back. He went straight home after winning the Grey Cup and wrote a public goodbye letter to the CFL.

I think a trade is the more likely scenario.
    I don't think MBT comes back either, but who do you trade for, if necessary? The pickings out there are very slim. It's Kelly and whomever his backups are or bust in 2023.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    There's the whole thing on which our season depends. To think that we could assemble a team that looks this good and be dependent on Chad Kelly, and only Chad Kelly seems like madness to me... But here we are.

On the bright side: if he is playing at a "decent" level (as you've put it) by mid-August, it's likely that we win the East.
    I’m looking forward to seeing how Chad Kelly performs this season but admittedly have the same concerns that you do.
    Magri and the gang have done a nice job building a very solid team but are very thin at the most critical position on any football team which is very concerning.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Don't sleep on Dakota Prukop. If he negotiated an "out" clause in his USFL deal, he might be more interested in becoming Toronto's backup than Wpg's third-stringer.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:

Level
    I can't.
    Would make a nice final chapter for your book though, if he did.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Don't sleep on Dakota Prukop. If he negotiated an "out" clause in his USFL deal, he might be more interested in becoming Toronto's backup than Wpg's third-stringer.
    Plenty of Bomber fans are glad he's gone after his GC INT.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    No doubt he would get repeat CFL chances.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 25%, Points required for next Level: 375
    Achievements:
    Level
    Prukop is almost 30 and has not developed beyond a #3 in his CFL career. I'd rather sign a couple of rookies and see what they have.