Nick Taylor became the first Canadian to win the Canadian Open golf championship since Pat Fletcher did it 69 years ago in 1954. Initially, it looked like Taylor was going to miss the cut when he went a three over 75 on Friday. But he then shot a course record 63 on Saturday to put him back in contention. He won in a playoff, doing it spectacular fashion with a 72 foot putt, the longest of his career, into the cup. Congratulations to Nick!

Canadians waited 69 years for this moment. So what's another four holes?
Nick Taylor of Abbotsford, B.C., won the RBC Canadian Open on Sunday at Toronto's Oakdale Golf and Country Club, becoming the first Canadian man to win at home since Pat Fletcher in 1954. "To kind of break that curse, if [that's] you want to call — I'm pretty speechless. I don't think it's going to sink in for quite some time what happened today," Taylor said.
What happened was 22 holes of golf filled with highs and lows — and a career-defining putt at the end of it all. Tied at 17-under, Taylor, 35, duelled with England's Tommy Fleetwood over four playoff holes — they matched each other with birdies and pars playing the 18th hole twice before each making a par on the ninth.
And so off they went back to the 18th. Fleetwood's tee shot landed in a bunker, but Taylor's settled on the first cut. It allowed the Canadian to attack the green, and he did, leaving himself a long eagle putt. Fleetwood, meanwhile, laid up and was standing over a putt for birdie. Taylor didn't let him hit it — he nailed his own putt from 72 feet, the longest of his career. The crowd around the 18th green leapt with joy. "For that to drop was a huge surprise, but an amazing one," Taylor said.
Adam Hadwin, the Abbotsford, B.C., native who tied for 12th in the tournament, couldn't contain his excitement, rushing the green with a bottle of champagne in hand — only to be tackled by an unknowing security guard. Elsewhere, tears flew and cheers streamed to the Toronto skies, which had been sending down rain throughout most of the playoff.
Along with Hadwin, there was Canadian golf royalty: 2003 Masters champion Mike Weir, who lost a playoff of his own at this tournament in 2004, was there, celebrating on the green. "It means everything. I feel like we all support each other so much, for them to stick around. I think all of us said it this week, if us individually weren't the people to win, we really want another Canadian to do it and break this long drought."
Corey Conners, the 18-hole leader who struggled Sunday to wind up tied for 20th, was there to embrace Taylor as well. "It's obviously a thrilling moment for Canadian golf," Conners told CBC Sports amid the celebration. "It's been far too long and I'm so thrilled for Nick. He's such a great guy and been playing great, so fun to see."
The playoff took on the feel of an international competition. As the Canadian contingent followed Taylor, Fleetwood's countrymen Justin Rose and Tyrell Hatton were there to cheer on their man as he pursued a long-awaited first PGA Tour victory. Fleetwood was greeted by applause as he left the green to sign his scorecard. The crowd, meanwhile, was decidedly on Taylor's side — they booed Fleetwood's bad shots and politely clapped for his good ones. ...

Playing alongside Fleetwood and Conners on Thursday, Taylor struggled to a 3-over 75, leaving an uphill climb just to make the cut. On Friday, he lowered his score by eight strokes — more than enough to make the cut, but still leaving him with an early tee time on Saturday. Taylor credited a "talking-to" from wife Andie, who was at home for the turnaround. "I was just kind of getting in my own way," he said. "I knew my game was there, but a little kick in the butt didn't hurt."

That's when he kicked things into high gear, with a course record 63 on Saturday to vault into contention....

By Sunday, Taylor made sure the full focus was on golf.
During his third round, playing partner Greyson Sigg, wowed at the crowds following Taylor, asked Taylor if he was famous in Canada. Taylor said no.
Now, that's about to change. And he'll be in the history books forever.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/golf/bc-golfer-nick-taylor-1st-canadian-to-win-canadian-open-since-1954-prevailing-in-playoff/ar-AA1cqbNd