Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level

the Action Off the Field Report for Game 1

Pluses:

• Pregame was good, the banner attached to the balloon was a nice idea - I wondered how they were going to "raise" it.

• Jason has been equipped with a proper T-shirt gun to reach the higher seats.

• Despite all the Ticat fans in attendance, I don't think I heard a single "Oskee-wee-wee".

Minuses:
    A lot of the stunts and promotions didn't click, or were rushed to completion before the game resumed.

• Spin a wheel to win a prize - and the wheel wouldn't stop spinning, until the host put her hand on it to slow it down. That really looks bad.

• the Rolling across the end zone in an inflatable tube thing race probably sounded like fun in a meeting but honestly looked a little dangerous (and didn't come close to finishing in time.)

• father-and-son match answers on a whiteboard, well, come on, we can't see what the wrote on the whiteboard and it looked like they spent most of their time furiously erasing the previous answer.

I hear there's a new game day coordinator this year so it may take a game or two to work out the details.

• A north end zone full of empty seats looks bad.

• The usual issues of inequitable distribution of "free to the first 10,000 people" handouts. (I got my ring, but I gave it to a kid sitting behind me. Gotta pay it forward.)

• It's 9:30 AM the next morning and there is nothing on argonauts.ca about last night's game.

Signs:

Major props to whoever brought the sign that said "DAYS SINCE LAST GREY CUP WIN - ARGOS 210, TICATS 8603". That was awesome.
    Last edited by shayman; 06-19-2023 at 12:08 PM.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Good thread idea, Steve. I agree with all of your observations, especially re the "days since" sign. I assume the banner will be raised to the rafters before we arrive for the next game, but if so they will need some new hardware since the existing beams (the things the banners hang off) are maxed out.

I had only one real complaint about yesterday. The security person at the gate I entered (Gate 3) was determined not to allow us to bring in two Argo-branded cowbells that we bought INSIDE THE STADIUM previously, and which are still available for purchase INSIDE THE STADIUM. If it is considered a weapon because made of metal, don't sell them in the building. BMO Field security is presumably outside the Argos' purview, but the lack of common sense among some gate agents never ceases to astonish. As it turned out, I was allowed to bring the cowbell in (and a metal water bottle) only because I proved that I was a season-ticket holder, which is even stupider.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    That's crazy that they'd object to your cowbell. The inconsistency of the gate policies extends to the bags, too. We - well, ok, my wife mostly - were carrying the dorky transparent bag the team gave out a few years ago - in which every single personal item you have brought is on view to the entire world - but I saw plenty of people with more traditional opaque bags, which after being searched, were allowed in.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Here's the sign in case anybody missed it [now, let's see if I can remember how to attach a picture here]
    Attachment 1010

[apparently i cannot remember how to attach a picture properly here]
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Also: Anthem still too slow. Alexi Couto is a lovely singer, but imho nothing deflates an exciting pre-kickoff atmosphere faster than a sloooow anthem. Look, we'll all eager to sing along, just pick up the pace please.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    Also: Anthem still too slow. Alexi Couto is a lovely singer, but imho nothing deflates an exciting pre-kickoff atmosphere faster than a sloooow anthem. Look, we'll all eager to sing along, just pick up the pace please.
    I thought she was fine until the end.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I like her pace, and have heard her so often I can precisely match her melisma when I sing along -- until she unexpectedly dragged out one syllable right at the end yesterday. I guess that is her one modification for this year!
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Points to Paul for usage of word "melisma", rarely heard in a football forum.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    I learned a new word today.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Points to Paul for usage of word "melisma", rarely heard in a football forum.
    The Argos could hire ex SCTV sleuth Vic Arpeggio to help find some new fans.

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Pluses:

• Pregame was good, the banner attached to the balloon was a nice idea - I wondered how they were going to "raise" it.

• Jason has been equipped with a proper T-shirt gun to reach the higher seats.

• Despite all the Ticat fans in attendance, I don't think I heard a single "Oskee-wee-wee".

Minuses:
    A lot of the stunts and promotions didn't click, or were rushed to completion before the game resumed.

• Spin a wheel to win a prize - and the wheel wouldn't stop spinning, until the host put her hand on it to slow it down. That really looks bad.

• the Rolling across the end zone in an inflatable tube thing race probably sounded like fun in a meeting but honestly looked a little dangerous (and didn't come close to finishing in time.)

• father-and-son match answers on a whiteboard, well, come on, we can't see what the wrote on the whiteboard and it looked like they spent most of their time furiously erasing the previous answer.

I hear there's a new game day coordinator this year so it may take a game or two to work out the details.

A north end zone full of empty seats looks bad.

• The usual issues of inequitable distribution of "free to the first 10,000 people" handouts. (I got my ring, but I gave it to a kid sitting behind me. Gotta pay it forward.)

• It's 9:30 AM the next morning and there is nothing on argonauts.ca about last night's game.

Signs:

Major props to whoever brought the sign that said "DAYS SINCE LAST GREY CUP WIN - ARGOS 210, TICATS 8603". That was awesome.
    Do you suggest this section should be open for ticket sales?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleBlue_Red View Post
    Do you suggest this section should be open for ticket sales?
    well if I were the rare person with a practical plan on how to get another 10,000 fans to the games, then I'd have some good suggestions.

Wish they'd left it as open space. But I suppose stadium expansion for the upcoming World Cup makes it necessary.

hey, they could put the Burlington Teen Tour Band back there, if the team somehow decided they liked the idea of having a band.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    The wheel was hilariously bad. It wouldn’t stop, Jason had to interfere and I don’t she got her three spins. I get it went overtime and you can’t have sound during live play but they could’ve resumed at the next stoppage. Just a terrible look. Did the lady win anything? Did they just gift her?
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    well if I were the rare person with a practical plan on how to get another 10,000 fans to the games, then I'd have some good suggestions.

Wish they'd left it as open space. But I suppose stadium expansion for the upcoming World Cup makes it necessary.

hey, they could put the Burlington Teen Tour Band back there, if the team somehow decided they liked the idea of having a band.
    They have a band....The Argonotes. Miss you guys.

Why do they need the temporary seating now? Are TFC drawing well? Their record isn't very good. That open space was a great spit to watch warm ups and the game itself as a social space.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 53%, Points required for next Level: 94
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    They have a band....The Argonotes. Miss you guys.

Why do they need the temporary seating now? Are TFC drawing well? Their record isn't very good. That open space was a great spit to watch warm ups and the game itself as a social space.
    At the scoreboard end in Hamilton, they have a two or three tiered patio/rail set up that fills the open space at that end of their stadium. I don't think you need tickets for it - people just congregate there to watch the game. It closes that end of the stadium, which makes it visually more pleasing than open space, which is what I believe the rationale is at BMO for putting those bleacher seats under the scoreboard. Wouldn't something like that make more sense? Those temp bleachers just look cheap - for the Argos and TFC, as well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    It would be a shame to lose the rail/concourse that used to be there. Great spot to watch the Argos warm up, and for some fans, a great place to watch the game. If the seats are going to be there all the time, they should be opened up for sale IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    It would be a shame to lose the rail/concourse that used to be there. Great spot to watch the Argos warm up, and for some fans, a great place to watch the game. If the seats are going to be there all the time, they should be opened up for sale IMO.
    Agree. Those should be $5 -$10 seats if the stands are left up. That's the end Argos do pregame warm up. The upper east side should be $15. This is going to be a fun team to watch in 2023. Expose as many new fans to this team as possible.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Boatman
    Level completed: 68%, Points required for next Level: 65
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Barnes View Post
    At the scoreboard end in Hamilton, they have a two or three tiered patio/rail set up that fills the open space at that end of their stadium. I don't think you need tickets for it - people just congregate there to watch the game. It closes that end of the stadium, which makes it visually more pleasing than open space, which is what I believe the rationale is at BMO for putting those bleacher seats under the scoreboard. Wouldn't something like that make more sense? Those temp bleachers just look cheap - for the Argos and TFC, as well.
    You need a ticket to get in the stadium. Hamilton is not just giving away tickets. As for the stands in the north end at BMO, those are just a temporary solution for this season. The north end has seen many stands come and go. That section will get replaced in preparation for 2026. It would make more sense to try to fill that section rather than open up the other upper deck - if the Argos were gonna do a $15 ticket promotion.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    There's a Gold Cup game being played in Toronto in a few weeks is there not? Maybe those stands are there for that purpose.