Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    The Blue Jay's attendance last 3ght Wednesday September 13th was 25,000. They lost 10-0 at home vs. a team they need to climb over to make the playoffs. I'm not going to slam the BJs, but this city should be paying alot more attention to their football team. Not every team in Toronto is mediocre. Ownership needs to do more.
    But, why chirp at us? We're not the ones thumbing our noses at the CFL.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    But, why chirp at us? We're not the ones thumbing our noses at the CFL.
    I'm not chirping at you or anyone else on this forum. Everyone on thus forum is a diehard Argo fan and supporter of the team and want to see it and the league thrive. As a fan, on a forum of like minded people I am venting a long held frustration because I feel safe to do so on here. I'm hoping ownership occasionally looks at this forum and will one day say you know what maybe we could do more.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    The injuries to both KGJ and Robertson Daniel were mentioned in the 6am Sports Report with Kate Otterbein on 94.5 FM Wingham this morning. Seems MLS is really targeting the rural North Huron County Demographic and its paying off.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    I'm not chirping at you or anyone else on this forum. Everyone on thus forum is a diehard Argo fan and supporter of the team and want to see it and the league thrive. As a fan, on a forum of like minded people I am venting a long held frustration because I feel safe to do so on here. I'm hoping ownership occasionally looks at this forum and will one day say you know what maybe we could do more.
    I was referring to the Western trolls on Twitter, and not you, sorry for the confusion.
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I was referring to the Western trolls on Twitter, and not you, sorry for the confusion.
    Sorry as well. I was confused. I am in agreement. Others can be jealous of the Argos success but being an Argo fan and supporter of this team can feel pretty lonely other than on GameDay at BMO. I firmly believe the Argos have the best core fanbase because of having been through the slow intentional ignoring of the media in this city over the last 40 years.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Sorry as well. I was confused. I am in agreement. Others can be jealous of the Argos success but being an Argo fan and supporter of this team can feel pretty lonely other than on GameDay at BMO. I firmly believe the Argos have the best core fanbase because of having been through the slow intentional ignoring of the media in this city over the last 40 years.
    Media coverage is part of the issue, for sure, but only part. There have been a lot of other factors over four decades.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Media coverage is part of the issue, for sure, but only part. There have been a lot of other factors over four decades.
    Yes many factors. I hold the media in greater contempt for their almost willful and intentional neglect in providing coverage of the Argonauts over these decades. Whether the team was great, good or bad it didn't matter. They received less and less coverage as each year passed, and their coverage increased on the other teams regardless of how poorly some of those teams were performing in any given year. And one of our partial owners in Rogers seemed to take extra pleasure in providing negative coverage as well as exiling the Argos from the Dome and in attempting to bring the NFL to the city.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Yes many factors. I hold the media in greater contempt for their almost willful and intentional neglect in providing coverage of the Argonauts over these decades. Whether the team was great, good or bad it didn't matter. They received less and less coverage as each year passed, and their coverage increased on the other teams regardless of how poorly some of those teams were performing in any given year. And one of our partial owners in Rogers seemed to take extra pleasure in providing negative coverage as well as exiling the Argos from the Dome and in attempting to bring the NFL to the city.
    The media that existed when the Argos were covered consistently disappeared years ago. There is almost no actual sports reporting in North America's third-largest city now. The Star makes a token effort, the Globe and Sun have largely abandoned the category (and the Sun and Star are barely clinging to life anyway), radio and TV hollowed out their newsrooms (or more accurately, the stations that had actual newsrooms at one time did so). Even the Athletic (once thought to be the future of sports coverage) has scaled back.

Would maintaining daily coverage of the Argos on these slowly dying platforms really have made much of a difference to the Argos' fortunes? We'll never know, but I really doubt it. So many things changed over the years that made the Argos less and less relevant in this market. Some day, someone might write a book delving into the slow, steady demise of what was once a great brand both locally and nationally. (Kind of like Eaton's.)
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Boatman
    Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 167
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    The media that existed when the Argos were covered consistently disappeared years ago. There is almost no actual sports reporting in North America's third-largest city now. The Star makes a token effort, the Globe and Sun have largely abandoned the category (and the Sun and Star are barely clinging to life anyway), radio and TV hollowed out their newsrooms (or more accurately, the stations that had actual newsrooms at one time did so). Even the Athletic (once thought to be the future of sports coverage) has scaled back.

Would maintaining daily coverage of the Argos on these slowly dying platforms really have made much of a difference to the Argos' fortunes? We'll never know, but I really doubt it. So many things changed over the years that made the Argos less and less relevant in this market. Some day, someone might write a book delving into the slow, steady demise of what was once a great brand both locally and nationally. (Kind of like Eaton's.)

I have to disagree. Fan 590 coverage was disrespectful with McCowan always telling us how the CFL was minor league. Then they all snickered on his program, with Toronto listening in. I will never forgive Rogers for letting them do this. When you look at total numbers of players available in all the sports it seems NCAA football has more players then all the other sports combined with fewest selected in both leagues, throw in the best from U sports and you have the makings of a solid league. NFL cut enough for 5 more leagues following same ratio guidelines as the CFL. I Found the info about player numbers when I did a search asking NCAA players to turn pro.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argofan_1000 View Post
    I have to disagree. Fan 590 coverage was disrespectful with McCowan always telling us how the CFL was minor league. Then they all snickered on his program, with Toronto listening in. I will never forgive Rogers for letting them do this. When you look at total numbers of players available in all the sports it seems NCAA football has more players then all the other sports combined with fewest selected in both leagues, throw in the best from U sports and you have the makings of a solid league. NFL cut enough for 5 more leagues following same ratio guidelines as the CFL. I Found the info about player numbers when I did a search asking NCAA players to turn pro.
    I’ve listened to Bob since high school, almost 30 years. He has been a huge Argonauts supporter and fan through most of those years, thanks to Shakey. Attending games, promoting the team on his show. I was also saddened when he turned his back on the team and the league almost overnight purely out of spite. He wasn’t included in the 2012 Grey Cup committee. There’s a little more to it involving owners C and S, but that’s the main reason.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    I’ve listened to Bob since high school, almost 30 years. He has been a huge Argonauts supporter and fan through most of those years, thanks to Shakey. Attending games, promoting the team on his show. I was also saddened when he turned his back on the team and the league almost overnight purely out of spite. He wasn’t included in the 2012 Grey Cup committee. There’s a little more to it involving owners C and S, but that’s the main reason.
    McCown seemed to run hot and cold on the Argos. He was most enthusiastic about them when his buddies, Cynamon and Sokolowski, owned the team because he received special treatment and favours. He completely trashed the team when it came out that C & S were being largely funded by David Braley and Braley ended up taking over the franchise. While McCown was part of the 2007 Grey Cup committee, he indeed was very bitter towards the Argos and CFL by 2012.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    McCown was one (admittedly influential) voice in a media eco-system that also included newspapers, other radio stations and TV (local and national). It's certainly not all Bob's fault that people turned away from the Argos, anymore than it is all "the media's" fault. As I said above, there were many, many factors.

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    McCown seemed to run hot and cold on the Argos. He was most enthusiastic about them when his buddies, Cynamon and Sokolowski, owned the team because he received special treatment and favours. He completely trashed the team when it came out that C & S were being largely funded by David Braley and Braley ended up taking over the franchise. While McCown was part of the 2007 Grey Cup committee, he indeed was very bitter towards the Argos and CFL by 2012.
    Not sure he was completely against the CFL by 2012, but he certainly considered the Argos persona non grata. He would still have Ticats president Scott Mitchell on Prime Time.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Not sure he was completely against the CFL by 2012, but he certainly considered the Argos persona non grata. He would still have Ticats president Scott Mitchell on Prime Time.
    Yeah, I forgot that he often had Mitchell on his show still at that point.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Don
    Achievements:
    Level
    It was kind of funny to see a BC Lions fan chirp about Argos attendance on Twitter the other day. The Lions have made great strides, but let's not pretend like there weren't attendance issues in Vancouver either.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 132
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level

https://x.com/FenderGuy69/status/1704842929284554889?s=20

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    The injuries to both KGJ and Robertson Daniel were mentioned in the 6am Sports Report with Kate Otterbein on 94.5 FM Wingham this morning. Seems MLS is really targeting the rural North Huron County Demographic and its paying off.
    Just wondering about these MLSE efforts to market or promote the Argos; and I'm asking seriously since I don't live in the GTA to hear about them?

Have they or could they have, blasted Argo adds/propaganda all over the place (like electronic billboards, radio, local TV or magazines ) ? Can you go in the GTA Beer Stores and find Argo gear? Is there Argo gear at local big retailers like Canadian Tire or Giant Tiger or Wally-Mart ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Just wondering about these MLSE efforts to market or promote the Argos; and I'm asking seriously since I don't live in the GTA to hear about them?

Have they or could they have, blasted Argo adds/propaganda all over the place (like electronic billboards, radio, local TV or magazines ) ? Can you go in the GTA Beer Stores and find Argo gear? Is there Argo gear at local big retailers like Canadian Tire or Giant Tiger or Wally-Mart ?
    Well I can tell that in Stratford (population 45,000) there is no Argo gear to be seen other than the odd cap at Walmart.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Good to see the Argos get a sellout - only trouble its for a Bomber home game on September 29th.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    Good to see the Argos get a sellout - only trouble its for a Bomber home game on September 29th.
    Their fans are looking at it as some sort of revenge game. Probably think it means something to the Argos too.
    It's us vs the rest of the country