Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level

Entertainment Value of Games

I posted this in a thread about a Mtl game, but it seems maybe worth posting on its own and tracking through the season:

The league has good reason to be concerned about the poor entertainment value of games so far. Average winning margin of 13.5 points, and six out of 14 games so far have been 14 points or greater. Only three games with single-digit margins (7, 4 and 3). Even the relatively small margin of last week's Argo game (12 points) was deceiving as the Elks scored two late TDs including one with seconds remaining. One of the things we could count on even when scoring was going down was the likelihood of a lot of close games, but we have not had that so far this season.

The 14 games so far have averaged 44.5 points, which is down about six points per game from last year's season average. We've had three games with 70-plus points and, two in the 20s, four in the 30s, three in the 40s and two in the 50s.

After last night's Tor-BC game, we are now up to seven of 15 games with a margin of 14 points or more. The game was wildly entertaining despite the 21-point margin, and was an 11-point game that could have gone either way until fairly late. But still -- nearly half of the games have been decided by two TDs or more. Let's hope this trend abates, and soon.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Agreed, I prefer to see close games, under 8-pt diff in last 2 minutes is best IMO, lets you see what strategies coaches use, namely who are their "go-to guys" when they need a playmaker to step-up.

Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I left yesterday’s game with this question, are the Argos really that good or has the competition just gone down in quality?
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I left yesterday’s game with this question, are the Argos really that good or has the competition just gone down in quality?

Argos were full value for the win for sure; but they're lucky the bad Vernon Adams showed up to throw 6 picks; he still passed for close to 400 yards - to a very talented receiver corps. Argos, Lions & Bombers look like strong teams this season; the rest of the pack are mediocre to poor so far; but with opportunity to improve or put it together - that's sports.

A small 9 team league with only 4 games a week (sometimes 3) = hard to expect a slew of great games every week IMO (that's why a 10 teams with 5 games a week is the best thing that can happen to this league). An NFL with 30 plus teams will see some real stinker games, but that is off-set by some very good ones as well, and then the hype machine that the CFL just does not have - after being sold down the river by the wannabe media in their own country. Pity,eh.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Argos were full value for the win for sure; but they're lucky the bad Vernon Adams showed up to throw 6 picks; he still passed for close to 400 yards - to a very talented receiver corps. Argos, Lions & Bombers look like strong teams this season; the rest of the pack are mediocre to poor so far; but with opportunity to improve or put it together - that's sports.

A small 9 team league with only 4 games a week (sometimes 3) = hard to expect a slew of great games every week IMO (that's why a 10 teams with 5 games a week is the best thing that can happen to this league). An NFL with 30 plus teams will see some real stinker games, but that is off-set by some very good ones as well, and then the hype machine that the CFL just does not have - after being sold down the river by the wannabe media in their own country. Pity,eh.
    The Argos are indeed this good. They are in the top tier of the league along with BC and Winnipeg. I would put Saskatchewan, Calgary, and Montreal in the next tier currently, with Ottawa, Hamilton, and Edmonton bringing up the rear. We shall see what kind of movement we see between the three tiers as the season progresses.

Scoring is now at 46.13 points per game after the high-scoring game in Toronto last night. The bottom line, IMO, is that the entertainment value is linked to the quality of QB play.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Keep in mind the league lost 2 of its top QBs from last season in Rourke and MBT. Thats a lot in a 9 team league. I am seeing too many US Spring League castoffs making their way to the CFL and while some may disagree, its concerning. Its a challenge for CFL teams to convince young QBs to come north when they have to sit and learn a new game behind a veteran ( at very low pay) when they get a chance to play immediately (not ready to in most cases) because these XFL /USFL leagues provide quick film and hopefully a quick opportunity for an NFL tryout.
    Scrap the Global Initiative and focus on this issue Mr. Commissioner.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Keep in mind the league lost 2 of its top QBs from last season in Rourke and MBT. Thats a lot in a 9 team league. I am seeing too many US Spring League castoffs making their way to the CFL and while some may disagree, its concerning. Its a challenge for CFL teams to convince young QBs to come north when they have to sit and learn a new game behind a veteran ( at very low pay) when they get a chance to play immediately (not ready to in most cases) because these XFL /USFL leagues provide quick film and hopefully a quick opportunity for an NFL tryout.
    Couldn’t agree more!!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    After several years of the Argos eeking out relatively close wins, I'm not so sure I'm upset to get to witness a few blowouts here and there.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    After several years of the Argos eeking out relatively close wins, I'm not so sure I'm upset to get to witness a few blowouts here and there.
    True enough Will, Argo games tend to be a little too close for comfort.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post

You are bang on about that. South of the border you will see 10-7 and 7-3 games fairly often, and the NFL traitors don't seem to mind at all.

Also when you have 2 teams in a 9 team league that are just hot garbage, it has a wider effect on the league as a whole. 2 of 9 is a bigger chunk than 5 of 32.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I am just curious about how many XFL/USFL QBs do we think could succeed in the CFL and who are these QBs? I see a number of QBs in both leagues who tried making it up here and couldn't, including Troy Williams, who just quarterbacked his Pittsburgh Maulers to the USFL championship game.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I am just curious about how many XFL/USFL QBs do we think could succeed in the CFL and who are these QBs? I see a number of QBs in both leagues who tried making it up here and couldn't, including Troy Williams, who just quarterbacked his Pittsburgh Maulers to the USFL championship game.
    Maybe a few of them but who knows - some might get the call. And meanwhile the GOB club continues to have little to zero use for top Canadian trained QBs from U Sports ball even getting a sniff.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Personally I think the talent is comparable in all 3 leagues. All these players were good college players. I think the biggest problem with the quality of play in the US spring leagues is that the seasons seem rushed. Not much of a training camp and not pre-season games. All you have to do is look at MBT. Were his USFL numbers any better than his CFL numbers? No. As I said, all these players are good football players. You just have to be in the right place at the right time. As they say, timing is everything.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    going back to the subject of this thread, did anyone watch the 12 to 11 "Battle of the Rouge" this week? Uggllyy.

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueGuy View Post
    going back to the subject of this thread, did anyone watch the 12 to 11 "Battle of the Rouge" this week? Uggllyy.
    I watched a half. It was ugly.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Banned
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 107
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    South of the border you will see 10-7 and 7-3 games fairly often, and the NFL traitors don't seem to mind at all.
    10-7 is just a matter of perception
    CFL - Two shitty offenses
    NFL - Titanic defensive struggle

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    You are bang on about that. South of the border you will see 10-7 and 7-3 games fairly often, and the NFL traitors don't seem to mind at all.
    For the record, it appears the NFL had six games in 2022 with 17 or fewer points, out of 272 total, or 2.2 per cent.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueBlueGuy View Post
    There was a lot of offensive yards in that game. Just bad red zone offence.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    There was a lot of offensive yards in that game. Just bad red zone offence.
    Agreed. It wasn't like the teams weren't moving the football.

Ultimately, the entertainment value of games comes down to quarterbacking and even the almighty NFL struggles to find quality QBs. In the CFL today, we have a top tier of Collaros, Adams, and Chad Kelly (and, yes, I am willing to put him in that top tier after four CFL starts), a middle tier of Harris and Fajardo, and a lower tier of the likes of Maier, Cornelius, Shiltz, and whomever Ottawa can trot out from week to week. This isn't as good as some eras of CFL football but it is similar to others, like the mid- to late 1980s or the late 1990s.

Further, I have said this before and will say it again: It is harder being a CFL QB today than it ever has been, as the defences one faces are far more complex than ever before.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level

Further, I have said this before and will say it again: It is harder being a CFL QB today than it ever has been, as the defences one faces are far more complex than ever before.
    The hardest part of being a CFL QB today in my view is the unwillingness of teams to develop QB's. They get thrown in way too early and when the struggle, they are given up on. Ottawa IMO erred when they kept Arbuckle over Caleb Evans.