Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Boatman
    Level completed: 28%, Points required for next Level: 72
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    What a fun, exciting game to watch. The Argos did take alot of penalties, but Montreal is a good team and they generally play well when pitted against the Argos. Coxie made some beautiful receptions and I thought Tyler Snead looked impressive with the 3 touch downs. Really enjoyed the game!

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    It was a fun evening in Montreal! Als fans are such great hosts and by in large, 99% of the time, make you feel welcome in their stadium.

The script in the first half sort of followed the game from last October in that the Argos got a score early, but really couldn't capitalize for the rest of the half. The Kelly INT took the wind out of the sails a bit as did the constant barrage of penalties that the Argos seemed to be taking. This was the first game where it was really noticeable so I'm confident it can be cleaned up, but guys do need to keep their emotions in check as the team is on their way to play Hamilton next week. The game really opened up in the second half.

Despite the INT, Chad Kelly was excellent on Friday. That pass on the run to Ungerer was a thing of beauty and he hit both Gittens and Daniels with deep throws. Gittens has had a slow start to the season, but did have 56 yards on 2 catches so hopefully he'll breakout soon. David Ungerer has proven to be a great signing, and Coxie is fun to watch. The o-line was pretty good as well in spite of some penalties allowing > 100 yards rushing for A.J, Andrew et al and allowing QB to throw for 350+ yards.

Defense was frustrating, they got 4 sacks but never quite realized it until Angelo pointed it out. Fajardo tried to go deep a few times (didn't really work), but the screens and slants were successful. Hopefully, teams haven't found some sort of blueprint moving forward.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    It was a fun evening in Montreal! Als fans are such great hosts and by in large, 99% of the time, make you feel welcome in their stadium.

The script in the first half sort of followed the game from last October in that the Argos got a score early, but really couldn't capitalize for the rest of the half. The Kelly INT took the wind out of the sails a bit as did the constant barrage of penalties that the Argos seemed to be taking. This was the first game where it was really noticeable so I'm confident it can be cleaned up, but guys do need to keep their emotions in check as the team is on their way to play Hamilton next week. The game really opened up in the second half.

Despite the INT, Chad Kelly was excellent on Friday. That pass on the run to Ungerer was a thing of beauty and he hit both Gittens and Daniels with deep throws. Gittens has had a slow start to the season, but did have 56 yards on 2 catches so hopefully he'll breakout soon. David Ungerer has proven to be a great signing, and Coxie is fun to watch. The o-line was pretty good as well in spite of some penalties allowing > 100 yards rushing for A.J, Andrew et al and allowing QB to throw for 350+ yards.

Defense was frustrating, they got 4 sacks but never quite realized it until Angelo pointed it out. Fajardo tried to go deep a few times (didn't really work), but the screens and slants were successful. Hopefully, teams haven't found some sort of blueprint moving forward.
    I agree 100% with your comment about games in Montreal. I have gone twice, and on both occasions we had an excellent time, and the Als fans were, as you say, gracious hosts.

It was a really fun game to watch. The intensity was there and I could almost feel some of those hits coming through the TV. I was very impressed with how well the Als played, given a long trip home from out west and having only one full practise. They are a good team, and the Argos seem to bring out the best in them. Like others, I am concerned with the undisciplined play leading to needless penalties, but that is coachable, I believe. I also noticed how effective the Als were with their screens and short slants, but even more so that adjustments weren't made as the game went on. Again, this is something that can be addressed.

Overall, I am really impressed with the Argos. They seem to have a really tight group and are playing hard for each other. A really fun team to watch. Hope more stay at homes in Toronto finally realize it and come out and support this great team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    IMO when Ray was healthy, he was every bit as good as, or better than, he had been in Edmonton. He couldn't stay healthy, and he was let down a lot by bad o-line and defence when he did play. But his accuracy just got better and better as he aged.
    I disagree. He was very good, but not as good as he was in Edmonton.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.7%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I disagree. He was very good, but not as good as he was in Edmonton.
    '

"As good/not as good" are obviously subjective, and I respect your opinion as much as my own. But it seems indisputable he was a more accurate passer with Toronto -- his worst season here (apart from 2018 which was just one-plus games) was 68.5%, and he was over 70% three times. In Edmonton he was never as high as 70%. Maybe his receivers were better in Toronto, but I think that's unlikely to have been the difference. And he did miss 37 games for one reason or another in six full seasons here (again, leaving aside 2018). In Edmonton he was way more durable, missing just six (!) games in nine years.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    '

"As good/not as good" are obviously subjective, and I respect your opinion as much as my own. But it seems indisputable he was a more accurate passer with Toronto -- his worst season here (apart from 2018 which was just one-plus games) was 68.5%, and he was over 70% three times. In Edmonton he was never as high as 70%. Maybe his receivers were better in Toronto, but I think that's unlikely to have been the difference. And he did miss 37 games for one reason or another in six full seasons here (again, leaving aside 2018). In Edmonton he was way more durable, missing just six (!) games in nine years.
    I suspect the offence he ran in Toronto lended itself to a higher percentage of completed passes.
    Either way I think it’s “splitting hairs” debating whether he was better in Edmonton or Toronto, he was excellent in both uniforms.
    Last edited by Argo57; 07-17-2023 at 08:06 AM.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    '

Way more short passes by time he was an Argos is the major reason why he was more accurate. He was nowhere near the big play QB here as he was in Edmonton. He completed those deep corners multiple times per game it seemed in Edmonton. I doubt he hit on more than 10 his entire stay as an Argo.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Good enough to be Josh Allen's backup.
    You’re right about that. If he plays like this all season he will be gone for sure.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 5
    Overall activity: 99.4%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    A lot of folks were clamouring for him to play last year, and some will no doubt now be saying his play this year proves he should have, but I think having him understudy for a season was a very smart way to develop him.
    I agree completely Paul, Kelly benefitted a lot from getting a thorough understanding of the Canadian game, and by watching how a true leader like MBT operated.

It’s also possible the benefit worked the other way too, that Kelly’s looming presence was another motivating factor inspiring MBT to play the best football of his career.

Who knows, and I say this half-jokingly, maybe Kelly whispered a few tips, getting MBT to start finding the range on his longball after 4.5 seasons.

In any case I’m glad it turned out like it did. I’m glad MBT proved me wrong and raised his game to turn around the season. Maybe if Kelly had gone in not ready last year, he doesn’t have success and wouldn’t have the sky-high confidence he has now.