Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
Why do so many people seem to think money is gonna be a (or the) primary motivating force here? IMO it is no better than fourth, behind (1) what's best for his family, (2) any possible opportunity to try his luck one more time in the NFL, (3) the best fit team- and situation-wise in the CFL. Only then does money become a significant factor. No. 1 (family) might outweigh all of the others, by a lot. And it seems pretty clear that even if the first three factors get dealt with to the point that No. 4 comes into play, neither Ott nor Edm would be a good fit team- and situation-wise.
Taking an NFL opportunity could be anywhere, anytime. Wherever it is it takes him away from his family just as playing in the CFL does. Neither is a good fit if his number 1 priority is time with family. Having said that, if playing football is a priority it comes down to what is more fulfilling. Coming back to Canada as a conquering hero, being given the keys to a successful off field franchise (Ottawa) and helping them try and become successful and recover from horrible bad luck with injured QBs or being some anonymous third or fourth stringer in the NFL. Those are his choices. I pass no judgment on the man. He has earned the right to make his choice. Because Ottawa is my second favorite team, and I was born there I care about that team.
I believe they are a good quarterback away from being a very good team. Alot of other pieces are there. Just as the Argos are one QB injury away from being a bad football team. MBT busted his ass to earn respect up here. No sooner had he finally got it, he left. I would love to see him come back and guide Ottawa back to respectability.
One of the things we all have to do as parents is provide for our families the best way we can. Both he and his wife are in very fickle businesses. Her TV show is done filming, and Disney has already pushed out when they plan to air it. In fact they don't have an air date. It may be fall 2024 when originally it would be on air already. Disney is a mess of a company right now. Their movies and TV shows alike are losing them tons of cash as is ESPN (good job CFL for avoiding ESPN). If her show ever sees the light of day there are no guarantees she will have another lucrative writing position.
Long story short....MBT do not lose sight of the opportunities back here. That's all