Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Argos need an experienced backup QB. Can they find one?

I have nothing against Duke, who showed some passing and running ability, but he demonstrated his inexperience with an interception and two other passes that should have intercepted. Living without an experienced QB is an invitation to disaster, whether Kelly is back immediately or out of action for a while. The Calgary demonstrates the need for an experienced backup QB. Hopefully the Argos can pick up someone with the spring seasons over, or by signing a free agent or making a trade.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    It is a conundrum because the Argos aren't going to pay MBT to be a back-up and he isn't going to come here as a back-up. What is the solution? Do any of the other backups around the league elicit any more confidence than Dukes or Scott does? They're mostly unknown commodities. Someone from the spring league comes to the CFL with no experience either.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    I have nothing against Duke, who showed some passing and running ability, but he demonstrated his inexperience with an interception and two other passes that should have intercepted. Living without an experienced QB is an invitation to disaster, whether Kelly is back immediately or out of action for a while. The Calgary demonstrates the need for an experienced backup QB. Hopefully the Argos can pick up someone with the spring seasons over, or by signing a free agent or making a trade.
    Who do you propose that they go out and get?

As an aside, fans, coaches and management have to go through the growing pains of developing a QB, rather than constantly looking for a quick fix that doesn't really exist. Dukes acquitted himself okay on Friday night. He threw some nice balls and was unlucky not to connect on two or three of them. The playing time that he got in Calgary will be invaluable moving forward.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    Who do you propose that they go out and get?

As an aside, fans, coaches and management have to go through the growing pains of developing a QB, rather than constantly looking for a quick fix that doesn't really exist. Dukes acquitted himself okay on Friday night. He threw some nice balls and was unlucky not to connect on two or three of them. The playing time that he got in Calgary will be invaluable moving forward.
    Well said Ravi, inexperienced QB’s gain experience by playing which is part of developing QB’s.
    I guess Duke’s detractors are ignoring the fact that the Argo receivers dropped some passes that were right on the money?
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    It is a conundrum because the Argos aren't going to pay MBT to be a back-up and he isn't going to come here as a back-up. What is the solution? Do any of the other backups around the league elicit any more confidence than Dukes or Scott does? They're mostly unknown commodities. Someone from the spring league comes to the CFL with no experience either.
    Lack of QB depth is not only an Argonaut issue but a CFL issue.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Lack of QB depth is not only an Argonaut issue but a CFL issue.
    A pro football issue.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    I would have liked to see a better play calling package for the back ups than what we saw Friday. Dukes had no business or need to be throwing deep down the field as much as he did. Calgary had a small lead, and the Argo defence was keeping them out of the endzone. In Ouellette and Harris and an excellent o-line you have the means to execute a running game, possess the time of play, and screen passes. Not to mention outstanding receivers to run shorter routes. Back up QBs don't get first team reps, but they should have their package down and ready to go. From what I saw that did not look like the case. We will see how Dukes does with first team reps.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    I would have liked to see a better play calling package for the back ups than what we saw Friday. Dukes had no business or need to be throwing deep down the field as much as he did.
    I really disagree with this. As a QB, you have to play to what the D gives you. When Dukes went in, Calgary was likely expecting a lot of run and short passes. Other than the pick in the end zone, which I still believe the receiver should have at least tried to break up, his other 2 deep balls were perfect passes, and both Gittens and Phillips should have come down with those. The 2 dropped picks by Calgary were both on shorter passes. Also, the o-line wasn't so strong in this game as both Tate and MacKellar really struggled.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    There just are zero, none, zip, nadda QBs out there with any CFL experience, or, experience playing the Canadian game. So, some raw rookies may have to play in situations. That's the way she goes.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    One QB who I might consider would be Dakota Prukop. But Winnipeg is not going to give him away and I don't know that I would want to give up much for him.

So, we have to roll the dice with who we have.

While I agree that MBT could not be enticed to come here as a backup, if Chad Kelly's injury was season ending, I think he might be convinced to come back as the starter due to his history and love for the team.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Streveler may be back in the CFL by Labour Day
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I really disagree with this. As a QB, you have to play to what the D gives you. When Dukes went in, Calgary was likely expecting a lot of run and short passes. Other than the pick in the end zone, which I still believe the receiver should have at least tried to break up, his other 2 deep balls were perfect passes, and both Gittens and Phillips should have come down with those. The 2 dropped picks by Calgary were both on shorter passes. Also, the o-line wasn't so strong in this game as both Tate and MacKellar really struggled.
    I think the Argos should be confident enough to go head to head with any team. Our personnel is better than their personnel kind of deal. I'm sure Harris and Ouellette feel the same way. It was a winnable game, they are on the road, with a QB who has no first team reps. No need to put that on the young QBs shoulders right out of the gate. Should have been 10-10 tie going into halftime. Lawyer the kid up in the dressing room.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I think the Argos should be confident enough to go head to head with any team. Our personnel is better than their personnel kind of deal. I'm sure Harris and Ouellette feel the same way. It was a winnable game, they are on the road, with a QB who has no first team reps. No need to put that on the young QBs shoulders right out of the gate. Should have been 10-10 tie going into halftime. Lawyer the kid up in the dressing room.
    Our o-line certainly was not better than Calgary's d-line the other night.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Achievements:

Level
    Streveler may be back in the CFL by Labour Day
    I read he has an injured thumb, which led to his release. My money is MBT returning to the Argos as a backup to help with back to back Grey Cup titles.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I read he has an injured thumb, which led to his release. My money is MBT returning to the Argos as a backup to help with back to back Grey Cup titles.
    I'll take that bet. No way MBT comes back to the Argos as a backup.

Boatman
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    I doubt MBT will come back, he still hoping that he'll get invited to some NFL training camps, so there's no way he will be interested in the CFL this season at least. Same with Streveler, on TSN 1040 this morning, Dave Naylor was saying that he will get an NFL injury settlement and explore other options in the NFL, so he doesn't see him considering the CFL till next year if at all.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    It is one thing to go with a raw rookie on a rebuilding team, but the price the Argos pay may be steep if this is what they intend to do. In terms of overall talent this team has already shown it is arguably the best in the CFL and that would make it a good choice to win the Grey Cup with an experienced QB.With free agency and the NFL beckoning there is no guarantee that most of the top talent will still be there next year, as many of you have noted before. Getting an experienced QB may make the difference in a Grey Cup run, whether obtained through trade or signing. Hardly any rookie QBs, other than Ricky Ray, had outstanding rookie years as they spent the first year learning both the pro and CFL game. Trevor Harris only made 15 attempts in his rookie, Fajardo made 18 attempts, and Collaros, who many now arguably consider the best CFL QB made 11 attempts. Even Dave Dickenson only had 49 attempts in his rookie, and Doug Flutie, although he played a lot, was benched at times even with his previous USFL and NFL experience in his rookie year and sometimes looked lost (I was in the stands watching in BC) although he also show enormous talent at times. A significant part of early QB development occurs in practice and on the sidelines during games for rookie QBs. Kelly learned a lot last year, although his playing time was limited. That's why most young QBs, even very talented ones, don't get a lot of playing time in their rookie season. Certainly playing time is essential ultimately in full player development, but if the Argos are approaching the playoffs and don't have Kelly available, are you willing to go into the Grey Cup with a rookie at the helm or is QB development your number one goal this year?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zach_Collaros

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Harris

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cody_Fajardo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Dickenson

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    All your points are valid. Who can you go and get out there now. Maybe MBT would come back if Chad went down. I'm sure he would like the opportunity to finish a Grey Cup game and be the one who wins it for the team.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    It is one thing to go with a raw rookie on a rebuilding team, but the price the Argos pay may be steep if this is what they intend to do. In terms of overall talent this team has already shown it is arguably the best in the CFL and that would make it a good choice to win the Grey Cup with an experienced QB.With free agency and the NFL beckoning there is no guarantee that most of the top talent will still be there next year, as many of you have noted before. Getting an experienced QB may make the difference in a Grey Cup run, whether obtained through trade or signing. Hardly any rookie QBs, other than Ricky Ray, had outstanding rookie years as they spent the first year learning both the pro and CFL game. Trevor Harris only made 15 attempts in his rookie, Fajardo made 18 attempts, and Collaros, who many now arguably consider the best CFL QB made 11 attempts. Even Dave Dickenson only had 49 attempts in his rookie, and Doug Flutie, although he played a lot, was benched at times even with his previous USFL and NFL experience in his rookie year and sometimes looked lost (I was in the stands watching in BC) although he also show enormous talent at times. A significant part of early QB development occurs in practice and on the sidelines during games for rookie QBs. Kelly learned a lot last year, although his playing time was limited. That's why most young QBs, even very talented ones, don't get a lot of playing time in their rookie season. Certainly playing time is essential ultimately in full player development, but if the Argos are approaching the playoffs and don't have Kelly available, are you willing to go into the Grey Cup with a rookie at the helm or is QB development your number one goal this year?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zach_Collaros

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trevor_Harris

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cody_Fajardo

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Dickenson
    What alternative do they have Jerry?
    Most other teams have the same dilemma.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    If you read the first post I asked a question. If you don't try to get an experienced QB, for sure you won't get one. There may QBs available near the trade deadline that aren't available now. That's how Winnipeg got Collaros and BC got Adams. I'm not saying it will work but some commenters said we should stick with Dukes to develop him. However, historically first year QBs have rarely been handed the ball and told keep going on teams heading into the playoffs, we won't look for anyone else to come in. Even Warren Moon was a backup to Wilkinson in his rookie year.