Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level

SIMMONS: QB Chad Kelly doing Doug Flutie-like things for first-place Argonauts

Here is an article written by Steve Simmons. I'm reserving any judgments vis-a-vis 1996 and 1997 Argos until the season is over.

For one, I don't know if this defense is quite as dominant as those teams.

https://torontosun.com/sports/footba...ings-for-argos

TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Here is an article written by Steve Simmons. I'm reserving any judgments vis-a-vis 1996 and 1997 Argos until the season is over.

For one, I don't know if this defense is quite as dominant as those teams.

https://torontosun.com/sports/footba...ings-for-argos

Hard to compare teams from different eras but until the Argonauts win back to back Grey Cups there is no comparison IMO.
    Regarding Kelly his performance has been outstanding so far this season, sounds like his work ethic and commitment to the Argonauts is beyond reproach.
    Any time the Argonauts are involved in any community initiatives Kelly is front and centre which is great to see.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Yeah, our defensive numbers have not been great. But it feels to me as if they're playing better than the stats show. Could be simply because we're winning off our offensive prowess.

But the secondary definitely has to be better in the second half of the season, if they want to keep atop the league standings.

Nice to see such a positive story from Simmons!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    Yeah, our defensive numbers have not been great. But it feels to me as if they're playing better than the stats show. Could be simply because we're winning off our offensive prowess.
    ric
    But the secondary definitely has to be better in the second half of the season, if they want to keep atop the league standings.

Nice to see such a positive story from Simmons!
    I don't think it's the secondary vs the system. The Argos give up the short stuff and hope to not allow TD's. Great in theory, but IMO it means they spend too much time on the field. Mace is a student of Rich Stubler, and that was his philosophy. At least he doesn't play that confusing match coverage in the secondary. A few more 2 and outs or just 1 first down allowed would be nice. Like last year, I expect them to get better as the season goes on,
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    This Argo team is looking so strong & good. But Simmons might not be able to recall some other great Argo teams if all he can compare is the Flutie 96/97 teams. 71, 83, 87/88 and 91 versions for example.

Hard to compare different eras, and have to factor in quality of opposition faced. I don't see this offence with the same quality of weapons of some of those other great Argo teams, but Kelly is sure making it work, and kudos to Ryan D on his game plans and play-calling.

Going to be very interesting to see how this season unfolds. The back to back against the Als - only decent competition in the East it seems - should tell the tale going forward.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I don't think it's the secondary vs the system. The Argos give up the short stuff and hope to not allow TD's. Great in theory, but IMO it means they spend too much time on the field. Mace is a student of Rich Stubler, and that was his philosophy. At least he doesn't play that confusing match coverage in the secondary. A few more 2 and outs or just 1 first down allowed would be nice. Like last year, I expect them to get better as the season goes on,
    I hope you're right. We're going to need a strong D to shut down the Bombers attack.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    This Argo team is looking so strong & good. But Simmons might not be able to recall some other great Argo teams if all he can compare is the Flutie 96/97 teams. 71, 83, 87/88 and 91 versions for example.

Hard to compare different eras, and have to factor in quality of opposition faced. I don't see this offence with the same quality of weapons of some of those other great Argo teams, but Kelly is sure making it work, and kudos to Ryan D on his game plans and play-calling.

Going to be very interesting to see how this season unfolds. The back to back against the Als - only decent competition in the East it seems - should tell the tale going forward.
    I'm super-excited to see how these games pan out. I have a feeling the Als will take one of those games. They seem to be improving, especially their O-Line.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm super-excited to see how these games pan out. I have a feeling the Als will take one of those games. They seem to be improving, especially their O-Line.
    IF this Argo team is as good as advertised - a back to back spanking of an average at best Als team should tell the tale, IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I hope you're right. We're going to need a strong D to shut down the Bombers attack.
    For sure. The addition of Lawler has made them scary on O. But, their O-line doesn't appear to be as strong as it has in the past either.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Do the Argos offer 700- 800k to Kelly next season? That can put pressure on an NFL camp decision. A couple vets coming off the cap and then there’s that $100k over available. It’s doable and he could have a nice career here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoZ View Post
    Do the Argos offer 700- 800k to Kelly next season? That can put pressure on an NFL camp decision. A couple vets coming off the cap and then there’s that $100k over available. It’s doable and he could have a nice career here.
    In a word, no. No matter how good he is, you need to be able to surround him with a good team. 600 is stretching it. My guess is 550k which would make him the highest paid player in the league. Having said that, he will explore all NFL opportunities, and if an offer comes, he will take it regardless of any Argos offer. He knows he will always have CFL to fall back on.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:

Level
    In a word, no. No matter how good he is, you need to be able to surround him with a good team. 600 is stretching it. My guess is 550k which would make him the highest paidfon player in the league. Having said that, he will explore all NFL opportunities, and if an offer comes, he will take it regardless of any Argos offer. He knows he will always have CFL to fall back on.
    I don't disagree with this at all. But here is the conundrum... is Kelly better off long-term, trying to take a shot at the NFL, or staying here and playing, as potentially the best QB in the league? You are right that if he gets an offer, he will be gone in a heartbeat. But look at Nathan Rourke. Despite excellent play, if he is kept on the Jags roster, he will be the 3rd string QB. His best outcome would be to be put on the practise roster, where some other team might pick him off, but even then it would likely be only to be a back up. I would like to think that guys having gotten to this level want to play, not sit on the bench. For this reason, I admired Bo Levi Mitchell's decision not to try the NFL, because he knew there was a greater chance he would be a back-up than a starter. I can't blame anyone for chasing a dream, but sometimes the grass is not greener where there is more green, if you get my drift.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post
    I don't disagree with this at all. But here is the conundrum... is Kelly better off long-term, trying to take a shot at the NFL, or staying here and playing, as potentially the best QB in the league? You are right that if he gets an offer, he will be gone in a heartbeat. But look at Nathan Rourke. Despite excellent play, if he is kept on the Jags roster, he will be the 3rd string QB. His best outcome would be to be put on the practise roster, where some other team might pick him off, but even then it would likely be only to be a back up. I would like to think that guys having gotten to this level want to play, not sit on the bench. For this reason, I admired Bo Levi Mitchell's decision not to try the NFL, because he knew there was a greater chance he would be a back-up than a starter. I can't blame anyone for chasing a dream, but sometimes the grass is not greener where there is more green, if you get my drift.
    I’m predicting Rourke will win the no 2 job with the Jaguars. He’s looked way better than Beathard and not like Beathard has ever done anything in the league to this point. Jags are still a young team, below the cap, so the signing bonus Beathard got is meaningless in this fight for the back up. There are back-ups that make 10M in the NFL, so there really is no decision to be made. You get an offer, you take it. No debate. Just like I said Rourke would have been foolish to not that that opportunity last year, while many said he should stay up here to play, which is a naive, and bias way to look at it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I’m predicting Rourke will win the no 2 job with the Jaguars. He’s looked way better than Beathard and not like Beathard has ever done anything in the league to this point. Jags are still a young team, below the cap, so the signing bonus Beathard got is meaningless in this fight for the back up. There are back-ups that make 10M in the NFL, so there really is no decision to be made. You get an offer, you take it. No debate. Just like I said Rourke would have been foolish to not that that opportunity last year, while many said he should stay up here to play, which is a naive, and bias way to look at it.
    The HC has already said Beathard is #2. And the main reason may be to mentor and support Lawrence.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level

You may be correct there AV; but as mentioned - the Jags HC has come out and said Bethard is set and safe at #2 there - which could be just standard coach speak bafflegab of course.

IMO, the only way Rourke advances there is if starter Lawrence goes down and then Bethard comes in and bombs and then they turn to Nathan. A healthy Lawrence means Rourke stays at #3. He may have to be patient and wait some for an NFL shot - maybe with another team. And why he only got signed by a team in need for a #3, instead of a team that had open competition need for #2 or even #1 is a bit baffling to me? - they prefer their vets or top draft pick QBs from powerhouse Div I programs. Rourke's outstanding CFL play (watch the frickin' film NFL experts) last season could have trumped a bunch of # 2 or even some top draft pick #1 savior types - but that would take some open minded and sharp QB scouts - not going to happen when the NFL super-experts write-off top CFL QB talent, as has been the case for years & years now.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Beathard does’t have to be #2 to mentor Lawrence. Though he may officially be #2 on that depth chart, I think they would turn to the more productive guy if an emergency were to pop up. As for Rourke’s decision to sign with the Jags, I think a lot had to do with their head coach. Probably feels he will develop better under a guy that’s a proven offensive coach. If he went to a team with bigger needs at QB and was in a bad situation and maybe struggled, his chance of sticking down there may have been hurt, and then who knows if he ever would get another chance? He’s young, so I think he made the right choice

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Beathard does’t have to be #2 to mentor Lawrence. Though he may officially be #2 on that depth chart, I think they would turn to the more productive guy if an emergency were to pop up. As for Rourke’s decision to sign with the Jags, I think a lot had to do with their head coach. Probably feels he will develop better under a guy that’s a proven offensive coach. If he went to a team with bigger needs at QB and was in a bad situation and maybe struggled, his chance of sticking down there may have been hurt, and then who knows if he ever would get another chance? He’s young, so I think he made the right choice
    This will all be moot if Lawrence stays healthy, but my bet is that if he goes down, Beathard gets first dibs but will be on a short leash. I agree he made a smart, strategic choice to learn under Pederson and apprentice under one of the NFL's up-and-comers. Even if he doesn't take a snap this year, he will be learning and turning himself into a more valuable commodity for 2024 and beyond.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    We will never see Rourke play in the CFL again. He is too good and he will become as successful in the NFL as he was here. He has all the tools mentally and physically. I would rather watch him play here, but hopefully it leads young Canadian kids to the game and to the possibility of playing quarterback.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    We will never see Rourke play in the CFL again. He is too good and he will become as successful in the NFL as he was here. He has all the tools mentally and physically. I would rather watch him play here, but hopefully it leads young Canadian kids to the game and to the possibility of playing quarterback.
    You are probably right, and I wish him all the best. And let's face it, even if he never sees the field, the financial rewards of being in the NFL can't be beat. But going back to the original thread topic for a minute... QB's who have played in both leagues, and in particular Warren Moon, Doug Flutie and Jeff Garcia, have all commented about how much fun it was playing the CFL game. So while there is no disagreement that if given the chance Chad Kelly will leave to chase his dreams in the U.S., but I just wonder if at the end of it all, whether he would be happier. As Zach Collaros said in an interview in the Winnipeg Sun, you only have so many chances to play and so you treasure every one of them. Kelly might end up making more money in the NFL, but he would arguably build a bigger legacy as an athlete if he stays here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 134
    Achievements:
    Level
    In a word, no. No matter how good he is, you need to be able to surround him with a good team. 600 is stretching it. My guess is 550k which would make him the highest paid player in the league. Having said that, he will explore all NFL opportunities, and if an offer comes, he will take it regardless of any Argos offer. He knows he will always have CFL to fall back on.
    You’re probably right he leaves regardless of the Argos offer. If he returns to the CFL, he will be the most coveted FA and I don’t think 550k is going to cut it. I can see all Eastern teams bidding for his services. If you were starting a CFL franchise tomorrow and could pick any current player in the league, I think the answer for most would be Kelly.