Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I doubt he would have made such a prediction, but he might have speculated that Ford would be interested in exploring NFL options, just as his brother did and just as every CFL player would, if given the opportunity. Ford is a good enough athlete that he might get some NFL interest, but I really doubt it would be as a QB. If Rourke can't get much of a sniff, why would the much-less-accomplished Ford?
    I think it was Justin Dunk who may have predicted NFL interest in Tre Ford. I agree with your assessment here, Paul. I also wonder what Tre's brother will do as he was released by Green Bay last summer and has yet to sign anywhere.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    An NFL team that relies on a run threat / mobile QB as the driver of their offence (like the Ravens or the Bears), MIGHT be interested in taking a look at Ford as a back-up QB, but I doubt it. And Ford is way faster/quicker than Nathan Rourke - whose far superior demonstrated passing skills in the CFL has meant nothing to the NFL experts; though Rourke is a very good running QB talent, but that did not need to show much in the CFL, and the NFL experts might not know much about Rourke's run skills.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    The Breakers' o-line was abysmal from about week 3 on. He led the league in passing despite that. Sure, MBT might drop in play at this stage in his career, and Ford might be ready to excel. But the opposite of both might also happen, and I'd put more money on the latter than the former.

Ford has played less than a full season in the CFL, and before that he was playing against OUA competition. To expect him to become a top-notch starter at this point would be foolhardy, which I think explains Jones deciding he needs a more experienced, proven starter. I believe that opinion is shared by execs and coaches around the league. And most if not all likely feel the same way about Powell, Crum and T. Adams. All of them might become stars or at least long-term starters, but none -- including Ford -- is a sure bet to do so. Rourke was a unicorn.
    Like I said, I watched every game he played. WAs he pressured at times? Sure, but not as much as you are making it seem. He will get pressured even more in Edmonton. Ford is just too good a dual threat to sit him after the way he finished last year. We will continue to disagree here, but I think time will prove, this was a very bad decision by the Elks. Jones hasn't made many good decisions since going back to Edmonton.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Seems some are surprised Edmonton went along this path considering Ford’s potential.

https://3downnation.com/2024/01/06/t...n-quarterback/
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Seems some are surprised Edmonton went along this path considering Ford’s potential.

They shouldn't be surprised with desperate teams making some real dumb decisions when they think they can find a couple of star savior players and will over-pay them big time. Was the Ticats example last season not good enough ?

IF MBT (or Bo last year) were Doug Flutie or Matt Dunigan in their primes, then the team and it's fans could be very hopeful with that big signing. These are far from it - not even same area code - examples and reek of desperation. But not surprising coming from the myopic, limited football minds in charge.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level

This is entirely based on a single source: Barker. He can say (and even believe) that "a lot of people" think X; that doesn't mean it's true.

As for the "next great Cdn QB" -- who was the last great Cdn QB? Rourke? Or do we go back as far as Jackson? If Ford ends up being in the same echelon as either of those guys, that would be fantastic for the league and for him. But he has dressed for 26 games, and seen playing time in about 12. He has thrown fewer than 300 passes as a pro. Seems pretty early to be anointing him as potentially one of the greats. And again, maybe the best way to attain his potential (whatever it is) is to learn the nuances of playing QB. That doesn't necessarily require a lot of playing time at this stage of his career.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    This is entirely based on a single source: Barker. He can say (and even believe) that "a lot of people" think X; that doesn't mean it's true.

As for the "next great Cdn QB" -- who was the last great Cdn QB? Rourke? Or do we go back as far as Jackson? If Ford ends up being in the same echelon as either of those guys, that would be fantastic for the league and for him. But he has dressed for 26 games, and seen playing time in about 12. He has thrown fewer than 300 passes as a pro. Seems pretty early to be anointing him as potentially one of the greats. And again, maybe the best way to attain his potential (whatever it is) is to learn the nuances of playing QB. That doesn't necessarily require a lot of playing time at this stage of his career.
    I believe we might have trouble finding a lot of football minds thinking that, a young QB with some obvious demonstrated already skills, should be sent back to the bench in his 3rd season, unless it was to be a good back-up for a newly acquired and also fairly young, league best QB level talent; to help that team on the rise make a serious run for the Championship.

Ford the rookie, with vet MBT at the helm, might have been good for the EE team (and Jones' job) and to help young Ford learn. This is more like desperate clutching at straws to have a winning season; unless some (like ego-Jones) believe MBT really is that superior level CFL QB talent. IMO, he just isn't.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level

Paul, you are alone on an island here.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Paul, you are alone on an island here.
    Good to know.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I believe we might have trouble finding a lot of football minds thinking that, a young QB with some obvious demonstrated already skills, should be sent back to the bench in his 3rd season, unless it was to be a good back-up for a newly acquired and also fairly young, league best QB level talent; to help that team on the rise make a serious run for the Championship.

Ford the rookie, with vet MBT at the helm, might have been good for the EE team (and Jones' job) and to help young Ford learn. This is more like desperate clutching at straws to have a winning season; unless some (like ego-Jones) believe MBT really is that superior level CFL QB talent. IMO, he just isn't.
    I don’t see how Ford returns to Edmonton after the 2024 season particularly if Chris Jones is still with the team.
    Once trust is broken between a HC and player it’s very hard to circle back.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm a big fan of MBT as well. Was hoping he would end up in BC and keep VA on track. Would have made them GC favorites with the big game in Vancouver... but I guess the cap gets in the way. Wish him best of luck and will be cheering for him but worry that Edmonton is a bit of a mess....Think we play Edmonton early in the season so will make for a good game.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    I don’t see how Ford returns to Edmonton after the 2024 season particularly if Chris Jones is still with the team.
    Once trust is broken between a HC and player it’s very hard to circle back.
    John Hodge from 3downnation.com wrote an opinion piece tonight suggesting that the Elks trade Ford to Hamilton for Taylor Powell: https://3downnation.com/2024/01/07/o...wap-young-qbs/

It may not be the worst idea. I can't see Ford being happy with Jones and the Elks and can't see that changing in a year although anything is possible.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Ford helped the Elks by getting the team out of a historic, multi-season slump and this is how they repay him?

Brutal.

I've got nothing against MBT but part of me hopes this decision ends up being a disaster in the end.

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Arland Bruce the 4th had his contract voided by the league. I’m guessing it’s because of his gambling, which he already served a suspension in college. I personally think he deserves a second chance. What’s funny is that he bet the under on his own team and his TD hit the over.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    EE sign a trio of veteran Canadians: receiver H. Mayala & O-linemen Hunter Steward and (Argo) Shane Richards