Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level

Edmonton Elks thread (2)

Let’s try and keep the topic to football here and not thoughts on anything that has nothing to do with football. I don’t believe I need to expand on that, and if I do, we have a serious problem.

Can the Elks break the home losing streak and start and actual winning streak against the RedBlacks this week? I personally took the RedBlacks because they really need to win to stay in the playoff hunt, while I think it is too late for the Elks. This might actually be a good game.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Let’s try and keep the topic to football here and not thoughts on anything that has nothing to do with football. I don’t believe I need to expand on that, and if I do, we have a serious problem.

Can the Elks break the home losing streak and start and actual winning streak against the RedBlacks this week? I personally took the RedBlacks because they really need to win to stay in the playoff hunt, while I think it is too late for the Elks. This might actually be a good game.
    EE beat Ottawa and then maybe could win the back-to-back LD classics against a Stamps team that has some issues; and all of a sudden they have 4 wins and are in the play-off hunt ?

Tre Ford vs. Crum in a battle of 2 young QBs - Ford has more talent IMO, both as a passer and a run threat, but offensive coaching and play-calling smarts are what will make the difference IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level

I can't believe I am going to pick Edmonton in this one but I am going to do just that. Surely, their home losing streak has to end this week. I really hope that I don't get bitten by that team yet again.

Back in 1971, Edmonton was 1-10 when they brought Bruce Lemmerman in to QB the team and they won their final five games that season and contended shortly thereafter. Tre Ford may be to this Edmonton team what Lemmerman was to that one.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    There was just two pieces of good news this year in Edmonton, Tre Ford basically bringing the Elks back from the dead and the play of DB who won the West Division nominee for Rookie of the Year.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Elks have signed Arland Bruce IV, who was kicked out of college for betting on his own games. Interestingly, his father tried suing the CFL with no luck so a bit strange to have his son go the league you tried to sue. However, there is no mention that his father is Arland Bruce III on his college bio.
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Elks have signed Arland Bruce IV, who was kicked out of college for betting on his own games. Interestingly, his father tried suing the CFL with no luck so a bit strange to have his son go the league you tried to sue. However, there is no mention that his father is Arland Bruce III on his college bio.
    I noted that as well -- his mother's name is mentioned.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Edmonton has been cleared of all cap violations regarding its football operations. This could free up HC Chris Jones from his DC responsibilities allowing him to hire Jason Shivers as speculated.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    According to 3 Down - EE & Jonestown are making a push to sign MBT - to give them an experienced QB heading into the season; that clown Jones should have been punted way out of town there IMO, but the clueless who hired him don't have the guts or ca$h i guess. Jones will be desperate to win after 2 brutal losing seasons; maybe MBT could be the ticket? Tre Ford = a decent back-up who can scramble.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    According to 3 Down - EE & Jonestown are making a push to sign MBT - to give them an experienced QB heading into the season; that clown Jones should have been punted way out of town there IMO, but the clueless who hired him don't have the guts or ca$h i guess. Jones will be desperate to win after 2 brutal losing seasons; maybe MBT could be the ticket? Tre Ford = a decent back-up who can scramble.
    Im sure the thought of reuniting with an offensive “guru” like Jarious Jackson may be too much for MBT to resist.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I don't think I can say enough how big an MBT fan I am, but IMO, Chris Jones has had has lost his mind. By bringing in MBT, I can almost guarantee he will lose Ford after this season. Ford, will end up in Hamilton or Ottawa for 2025, and Edmonton will be asking themselves why.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    I don't think I can say enough how big an MBT fan I am, but IMO, Chris Jones has had has lost his mind. By bringing in MBT, I can almost guarantee he will lose Ford after this season. Ford, will end up in Hamilton or Ottawa for 2025, and Edmonton will be asking themselves why.
    100% agree, I think Chris Jones is desperately trying to save his job at this point.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Chris Jones has had has lost his mind. By bringing in MBT, I can almost guarantee he will lose Ford after this season. Ford, will end up in Hamilton or Ottawa for 2025, and Edmonton will be asking themselves why.
    I won't go so far as almost guaranteeing it, but IMO this move puts Elks into playoff contention. Next year can be sorted out next year -- Jones won't have a next year if the Elks don't win this year.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    100% agree, I think Chris Jones is desperately trying to save his job at this point.
    Sad thing is, he shouldn't have a job there still after the past 2 clown act seasons; those running that EE team are idiots IMO - feel bad for their fan-base.

Even with MBT, I doubt they make the play-offs this season - Jones and his coaching staff will be out to lunch. Which West teams will they be better than?

And Ford would be smarter to stick with a team with an aging vet QB rather than going to teams that have other young QBs whose resumes they value more. Crum in Ottawa or Powell in the Hammer might have pretty good futures there, even if they are not #1 starters this coming season.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I won't go so far as almost guaranteeing it, but IMO this move puts Elks into playoff contention. Next year can be sorted out next year -- Jones won't have a next year if the Elks don't win this year.
    I disagree. You're expecting MBT to come in and pick up where he left off with the Argos. I don't expect it. I think they have a better chance at success with Ford at QB. He was quite good last year and I expected him to improve this year. MBT might start to drop in play at this stage in his career, and being away from the league for a year. I watched every game he played in the USFL because I am a fan of his. IMO, he didn't improve as the season went on.

Boatman
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Yeah I agree, I watched a couple of his games in the USFL and he was okay, nothing special. It's a one year contract and MBT turns 36 this year, so maybe it's a short term strategy. It's a shame that it sounds like Tre Ford will now be back-up and one wonders whether he'll be interested in sticking around if he doesn't know when he'll be chosen as the starter. Can't believe that Edmonton is sticking with Chris Jones - he certainly doesn't seem to have solid plans for developing the team!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    I disagree. You're expecting MBT to come in and pick up where he left off with the Argos. I don't expect it. I think they have a better chance at success with Ford at QB. He was quite good last year and I expected him to improve this year. MBT might start to drop in play at this stage in his career, and being away from the league for a year. I watched every game he played in the USFL because I am a fan of his. IMO, he didn't improve as the season went on.
    The Breakers' o-line was abysmal from about week 3 on. He led the league in passing despite that. Sure, MBT might drop in play at this stage in his career, and Ford might be ready to excel. But the opposite of both might also happen, and I'd put more money on the latter than the former.

Ford has played less than a full season in the CFL, and before that he was playing against OUA competition. To expect him to become a top-notch starter at this point would be foolhardy, which I think explains Jones deciding he needs a more experienced, proven starter. I believe that opinion is shared by execs and coaches around the league. And most if not all likely feel the same way about Powell, Crum and T. Adams. All of them might become stars or at least long-term starters, but none -- including Ford -- is a sure bet to do so. Rourke was a unicorn.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by kellynjk View Post
    Can't believe that Edmonton is sticking with Chris Jones - he certainly doesn't seem to have solid plans for developing the team!
    The Elks have been hamstrung big-time by the mgmt salary cap, and firing Jones before his contract expires would just add to that. It's not nearly as easy as it used to be to get rid of coaches and personnel people. They are all in with Jones for at least one more year, and he is obviously going all in to win this year, and let the future take care of itself.

And Ford can walk after the season regardless of whether or not he plays much. Arguably he will be better off, future-contract-wise, sitting most of this season and committing to learning the nuances of playing QB than he would be if he played a lot and relied mostly on his athleticism, as has been the case so far in his brief career.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I might be mistaken but didn’t Ben Grant state that Ford would be in the NFL next season?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I might be mistaken but didn’t Ben Grant state that Ford would be in the NFL next season?
    I doubt he would have made such a prediction, but he might have speculated that Ford would be interested in exploring NFL options, just as his brother did and just as every CFL player would, if given the opportunity. Ford is a good enough athlete that he might get some NFL interest, but I really doubt it would be as a QB. If Rourke can't get much of a sniff, why would the much-less-accomplished Ford?