Thread: Rourke Waived

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 94%, Points required for next Level: 9
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level

Rourke Waived

Hopefully he eventually finds his way back to the CFL. An exciting player that we all would welcome back with open arms.

https://ca.yahoo.com/sports/news/sou...012218569.html

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I'd love to see him back in the league. But I don't think this initial waiving is going to prompt his return. From what I've read, other teams can now pick him up, or if not, the Jaguars can offer him a spot on the PR.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    I'd love to see him back in the league. But I don't think this initial waiving is going to prompt his return. From what I've read, other teams can now pick him up, or if not, the Jaguars can offer him a spot on the PR.
    That's correct. If another team claims him, presumably they would have to put him on their 53 player active roster; otherwise Jacksonville can offer him a PR spot which I assume that Rourke would accept although I am not sure how happy he will be about it.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    That's correct. If another team claims him, presumably they would have to put him on their 53 player active roster; otherwise Jacksonville can offer him a PR spot which I assume that Rourke would accept although I am not sure how happy he will be about it.
    Obviously he would love to be on a roster, but he can't be surprised, and IMO should not be overly disappointed, if he ends up on Jax's PR. When he signed, it was reported that he was guaranteed about $200k, which is what he'd receive for a full season on a PR. I believe he accepted the deal knowing he was likely (barring injury) to PR this year, then get a shot at No. 2 next season, and possibly compete (somewhere other than Jax) for a starting job by Year 3.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    I think Nathan is a sharp & determined young man and will do whatever it takes to make an NFL roster. He knows there would be plenty of CFL suitors waiting for him if he does not stick in the NFL - but I bet he does. Wether he ever progresses to a starter chance is another matter. NFL teams have next to zero respect nowdays for a QB who was off the charts outstanding in the CFL (and as good as Chad Kelly has been this year for the Argos, he's not putting up equivalent #s to Rourke in BC last year; Kelly does have NFL name recognition and previous roster connections that might help him get another NFL look though; but he could pass Rourke in CFL passing stats even and that would mean zip to the NFL super-experts).

Boatman
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    If Rourke eventually signs to be on the Jax Practice Rooster, does that mean he could still get a chance to play in some games this season or does that only happen if either the first or second string quarterback gets injured?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by kellynjk View Post
    If Rourke eventually signs to be on the Jax Practice Rooster, does that mean he could still get a chance to play in some games this season or does that only happen if either the first or second string quarterback gets injured?
    He would have to be named to the 53 man roster, and then be declared an emergency QB to dress; but could only play with injury to the first 2 QBs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    He could be moved to the 53-man roster at any time, and from there could go to the 46-man active roster for games. Either of these would presumably happen only if Lawrence or Beathard were to get injured.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Boatman
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    TSN has noted Rourke went unclaimed after being placed on waivers by the Jacksonville Jaguars on Monday and will sign a practice roster agreement with the club. It's a shame a quarterback with his talent will likely not get any playing time this season. According to TSN's Farhan Lalji, he thinks that if Rourke is not given a place on an NFL rooster next season, he might consider coming back to the CFL - but it wouldn't be before the end of next season. Don't know it's just speculation and as others have noted, if his dream is to play in the NFL he's bound to give the NFL a shot for at least a few years.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    TSN has noted Rourke went unclaimed after being placed on waivers by the Jacksonville Jaguars on Monday and will sign a practice roster agreement with the club. It's a shame a quarterback with his talent will likely not get any playing time this season. According to TSN's Farhan Lalji, he thinks that if Rourke is not given a place on an NFL rooster next season, he might consider coming back to the CFL - but it wouldn't be before the end of next season. Don't know it's just speculation and as others have noted, if his dream is to play in the NFL he's bound to give the NFL a shot for at least a few years.
    I saw an interview with Rourke on Jacksonville TV last week and my impression is that he seemed frustrated. He even referenced to the reporter that he left a good situation in BC with a coaching staff that he liked very much and he didn't leave that to not get a valid shot at the #2 position (probably not his exact words but essentially the impression I got from the interview).

I think that he has taken the PR spot because he feels like he has no choice at this point but I don't think he is happy about it. Let's remember that since he graduated from university in 2019, he has started in 13 games (including postseason) in the four years since and this is a guy who wants to play.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force