Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Chad joined Aaron Korolnek on Overdrive this afternoon to discuss the extension.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Boatman
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    But does this make it any less likely that we could lose him to the NFL this off-season? Not really. If he gets a good offer he’s gone, Argo deal or not.

OTOH I’m wondering if Chad sees the BS Rourke is going through right now and says screw that.
    This is great news that he'll be part of the Argos for the foreseeable future. I had the same thought about whether he was seeing the hoops that Rourke has been going through with little results and realized that maybe this Argo opportunity is a pretty good one.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    In the radio interview on TSN, Kelly mentioned how much fun he is having playing. That is huge, as I could never see him being happy standing on the sidelines with a clipboard. And once you put the ego piece about the NFL aside, he has a real opportunity to create a true legacy, especially if he can continue to play at this level.

I'd have to listen to the interview again, but he mentioned the turning point in his decision process came in November of last year, and if I heard correctly, it was his new girlfriend that changed his thinking on his future. If I heard that right, let's buy that lady a beer!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Chad joined Aaron Korolnek on Overdrive this afternoon to discuss the extension.
    Great interview, and the comments by the hosts after it were amazing. These were guys not used to talking too much CFL, but they talked about how much they loved Chad, and how much they loved watching this exciting team and that maybe Chad’s “star power” will make the Argos hot like TFC once was. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing on local talk radio. Things are changing already.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by RB957 View Post

I'd have to listen to the interview again, but he mentioned the turning point in his decision process came in November of last year, and if I heard correctly, it was his new girlfriend that changed his thinking on his future. If I heard that right, let's buy that lady a beer!
    Amazing interview. Funny, all the things we wondered might convince Kelly to make a career as an Argonaut, but none of us guessed maybe the biggest factor of all: He fell in crazy love with a local girl. She wants him to stay. She’s cooking him steak. He’s staying, I’m 100% convinced. Let the celebrations begin.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 133
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Go Argos! Love it and happy for the consistency.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Best news this year so far, other than Argos starting 6-0 for the first time since 1960.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    There's always a chance he could end up in the NFL but I really don't think chances are great given his age, that he isn't really the type of #2 QB that NFL teams are looking for (Dave Naylor has written about that) and that he would be too old to be a developmental practice roster QB in the NFL. I also saw today on Twitter that he is due a $250k bonus next year if he doesn't sign in the NFL, so it would take some serious guaranteed money from the NFL to lure him there and it's doubtful he would get that. Further, he has a great situation in Toronto as he is the #1 guy, will make good coin, loves the city and is able to play in front of his parents every home game plus the games in Hamilton. It doesn't get much better than that.
    You love to see that sort of forethought put into such a big decision.

And I am loving the extra helping of crow that I'm eating over having The Chad as our Ride-Or-Die this season. Long may it continue.

I saw someone compare this contract to Collaros' and say that it is a bad value because ZC is the best player in the league and on less money. My response was that i) over the 3 year life of this contract, which of those 2 would you bet will have better results? ii) if the season stopped today, The Chad is MOP, not Zach, and iii) there are many very good off-the-field reasons why this deal is a score for the Argos.

Last edited by bluto; 09-01-2023 at 09:20 AM.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Great interview, and the comments by the hosts after it were amazing. These were guys not used to talking too much CFL, but they talked about how much they loved Chad, and how much they loved watching this exciting team and that maybe Chad’s “star power” will make the Argos hot like TFC once was. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing on local talk radio. Things are changing already.
    Aaron Korolnek is a STH and references Argonaut football quite often on First Up.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    The Chad Kelly extension was also the top sports story on CKNX Wingham radio this morning at 6am…just before the Winthrop Euchre League Scores.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    The Chad Kelly extension was also the top sports story on CKNX Wingham radio this morning at 6am…just before the Winthrop Euchre League Scores.
    But where was it in relation to the farm market report and the in memoriam list during the noon news packages?
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    We must be living in Bizarro world. As one who is highly critical of the lack of media attention the Argos get it is nice to see the needle moving with more attention. IMO in season they should be discussed almost daily as are the other teams. TFC has always been an oddity to me. They sell out the stadium but draw less than 100,000 on TV.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 243
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    But where was it in relation to the farm market report and the in memoriam list during the noon news packages?
    That bluto is by far the best question ever asked in the history of this or any other forum hands down.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Aaron Korolnek is a STH and references Argonaut football quite often on First Up.
    That’s good to know, but he didn’t show much respect for the CFL when he asked Kelly how much the players talk to one another about playing in the NFL. Such a stupid question. But as I say he redeemed himself with his comments after the interview.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 598
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Back in 2017 I complained directly to George Cope about a similar incident with a CTV’S interview.

It was supposed to be a cute interview with SJ Green's young son SJ III. In response to the an interviewer question, SJ III replied that he wanted to follow in his dad's footsteps and play professional football. The interviewer then asked him where he wanted to play football? The very young SJ. Jr. replied here of course, for the Argos in the CFL like his dad.

The interviewer was clearly taken aback. The interviewer asked him "Are you sure here"? "The Argos and the CFL"? "Are you sure the CFL over the NFL"? "Why don't you want to play in the NFL"? SJ III said "Because my dad plays here." That's when the interviewer finally got it. To the CTV interviewer, clearly no rational reason to want to play for the Argos or in the CFL except because of his dad.

An eleven year old got it, but not a Toronto media member with an ownership position. Would Messi’s son be confronted at Inter Miami for not aspiring to play for Barcelona by CBS Miami? Hardly likely.

‘Reminds me of the old commercial “only in Canada” “pity.”

“it's not the strongest who survive nor the most intelligent but the ones most adaptable to change.’ Charles Darwin

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    That’s good to know, but he didn’t show much respect for the CFL when he asked Kelly how much the players talk to one another about playing in the NFL. Such a stupid question. But as I say he redeemed himself with his comments after the interview.
    That’s a fair comment, really no need to bring the NFL into the discussion.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 37
    Achievements:
    3 months registered500 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    Go Argos! Love it and happy for the consistency.
    seems like forever the posters here have been complaining about lack of "marketing" of our Argos. Is this not a serious marketing opportunity?
    IMO for many moons, Argos marketing has been hampered by, more than anything else, player turnover at key positions.
    I realize in the era of Free Agency it's a much tougher thing than before UFA's.
    Keeping a QB around who can perform at a high level is key. Argos : great move.