Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    You may be able to get a copy from CBC. In 1995 my father was terminally ill. He played for Hamilton and Ottawa in late 1950s. I wrote to CBC to get copies of classic Grey Cup games for us to watch together. Can't remember all of them but they sent them to me free of charge. They sent them to me on VHS, but I'm hoping they have digitized all of their old broadcasts.
    I delved into CBC archives when I was writing Bouncing Back, hoping to get a copy. The archive database listed the games as being in it, but I could not get confirmation and was told they don't provide copies, even for purchase or research projects. Maybe I'll try again at some point.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    I want Kelly to play in thus game. Starting I hope. Pull him at half if you must, but it's important he has live action against this team.
    If he's not getting starter's reps today/tomorrow, and knowing they want to both rest him and get the other guys some playing time, I think it's extremely unlikely he is anything other than an emergency No. 3 on Friday.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 12
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    This could be a bad look for the league and TSN.
    One of the biggest and most anticipated games of the year, with Kelly a new bonafide star of the league.
    It could easily attract a lot of casual fans to watch.
    Football wise unless Kelly is nursing serious injuries, he needs game experience against the Wpg defence as they could be GC opponents. Also not starting Kelly could cause the rest of the team to let off the gas.
    It's tough because it's no fault of the Argos. If the other east teams could field competitive teams, they would not have first place locked up with 6 games to go!!!
    I agree with the other post that this week and next need starters playing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Antwon View Post
    This could be a bad look for the league and TSN.
    One of the biggest and most anticipated games of the year, with Kelly a new bonafide star of the league.
    It could easily attract a lot of casual fans to watch.
    Football wise unless Kelly is nursing serious injuries, he needs game experience against the Wpg defence as they could be GC opponents. Also not starting Kelly could cause the rest of the team to let off the gas.
    It's tough because it's no fault of the Argos. If the other east teams could field competitive teams, they would not have first place locked up with 6 games to go!!!
    I agree with the other post that this week and next need starters playing.
    I suggest Dinwiddie do what is best for the Toronto Argonauts and not worry about TSN.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I suggest Dinwiddie do what is best for the Toronto Argonauts and not worry about TSN.
    Chad Kelly is this years Nathan Rourke. It is good for the fans, it is good for the league, it is good for TSN. They are all joined at the hip. What's good for coaches is not necessarily good for selling tickets and growing your fanbase.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level

Exactly; though I would like to see Kelly play against the Bombers - maybe wait till the 2nd half and then go in and shock and awe them with some new, big plays and his usual downfield strikes.

Otherwise, a good opportunity to pound the ground game to give the Bombers another thing to think about; even if AJO or Harris are not playing - Adeboboye deserves the touches and should be getting more than raw rookie McMahon IMO, but use both lots.

And for all we know, and given what some other young QBs like Crum & Powell have been able to do at times this season, either of the Argo back-up QBs could have very good game and surprise the Bombers D (not that I'd bet on that happening).

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    That's what he is being paid for.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    The Argos will attract more casuals in the long run by getting to the Grey Cup. I would love to see Kelly start but it's tough to argue against Dinwiddie on this one.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I delved into CBC archives when I was writing Bouncing Back, hoping to get a copy. The archive database listed the games as being in it, but I could not get confirmation and was told they don't provide copies, even for purchase or research projects. Maybe I'll try again at some point.
    Frustrating considering you technically pay for that archive to exist in the first place.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I think he's a better prospect than Dukes, but that's pure conjecture. Obviously we will find out more about both guys over the next few wks.

I will say that whomever plays this week should not be judged solely on it. No QB, especially a new one, can be fairly evaluated in a game preceded by a single practice.
    Fair enough. Yeah, hopefully we'll get to see both backups get live reps in the coming weeks. The Bombers are a tough opponent, but have had several "off" weeks this year. Maybe they'll have another one this week.

Boatman
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    Well as both an Argo fan and a fan of the CFL when the two best teams of the CFL are playing only once this season (unless they are opponents at the Grey Cup), I want to see both teams putting their best players on the field. I agree with what others have suggested that at least play Kelly for half the game and let one of the back-ups for the other half. Plus the game is likely to draw a good tv audience, so it would be great for it to be a close, exciting game!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Yes, and thanks to Will for those stats. I was at that game. Argos were getting killed and then staged a magnificent rally in the fourth quarter, almost pulling off an amazing comeback. They tried an onside quick kick in a final desperate bid to regain possession, and it nearly worked. I felt like the only Argo fan in a crowd of 30,000 people razzing me, until Holloway and Greer led the remarkable comeback. The building got very quiet when Greer threw a TD pass to Scott McGhee on an option play.

In addition to being at the game, I was later able to obtain a copy of the broadcast. I'll never forget Leo Cahill's words in the booth when Greer passed to McGhee. "Oh my aching back! Do you believe that?" That fourth quarter might have been the greatest display of Mouse's Run and Shoot. Sadly, the videotape got stolen in 1986 and I have never been able to find another copy.
    I remember that game well and it was a terrific finish. I wish that the Argos had just thrown the ball into the endzone on that last play instead of trying the quick kick though. I was ticked off about that.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    [QUOTE=Scooter McCray;170060]Chad Kelly is this years Nathan Rourke. It is good for the fans, it is good for the league, it is good for TSN. They are all joined at the hip. What's good for coaches is not necessarily good for selling tickets and growing your fanbase.[/QUOTE

I previously stated that Kelly should play the first half and give Scott and Dukes a quarter each, I also have no issue with Dinwiddie taking the ultra safe approach to sit Kelly out.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    100% correct!
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I previously stated that Kelly should play the first half and give Scott and Dukes a quarter each, I also have no issue with Dinwiddie taking the ultra safe approach to sit Kelly out.
    I think keeping Kelly out for this game could be strategic as well as safe, in that the Bombers won't have first-hand experience in reading and prepping for Kelly should the two meet in the Grey Cup game again.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Personally, I would like to see Kelly at QB but as others have stated the Argos have to do what is best for the team. It is not something we like to consider but it is a possibility Kelly could get injured at some time before the playoffs. It is essential the team knows what they have in their backup QBs.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    That's what he is being paid for.
    But who’s signing the cheques?
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I remember that game well and it was a terrific finish. I wish that the Argos had just thrown the ball into the endzone on that last play instead of trying the quick kick though. I was ticked off about that.
    Obie was in love with the quick kick.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    I think keeping Kelly out for this game could be strategic as well as safe, in that the Bombers won't have first-hand experience in reading and prepping for Kelly should the two meet in the Grey Cup game again.
    Bingo.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I think RD is playing with the Bombers’ heads with this move. I love it.

The report said Dukes would start but that Kelly could still play, which is like saying this game doesn’t matter to us but it matters to you, and we’re going to try and beat you with our #2 QB, and if that doesn’t work we’ll bring in the guy who beat you in the Cup. For sure it will distract the Bombers a bit, wondering if/when Kelly comes in. Quite the clever gambit I’d say.

If your starter is only going to play one half, why does it have to be the first half?