Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Game Thread: Montreal at Ottawa Saturday September 30

I will give the Als the edge in this one, but I wouldn't be surprised by an upset because of Ottawa's defence.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Here is the injury list for the Redblacks vs. Als game.

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/09/26/redbla...-sit-out-tues/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    I think the Als win and probably on a late RedBlacks mistake, but the Redblacks are getting some healthy bodies back, so I might be wrong on this one.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    The Redblacks are terrible.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    The Redblacks are terrible.
    It feels like every June I think to myself "this will be the year the Redblacks bounce back to at least be around the .500 mark." Not this year. The East in general is trending up, so . . . maybe next year?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    The final 32-15 score flattered Ottawa as they were never really in the game and trailed 22-0 after three quarters.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    It would totally suck to be a RedBlacks fan. They had such a great first four years, then four horrendous years in a row.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    A lot of disgruntled / sick of the garbage Ottawa fans - I hear from at games, on the bus home and on call-in post game radio.

Might cost them some attendance for next season.

They need to fire the GM and coaching staff IMO. I had hopes for Bob Dyce doing well, but ... and if he he was in on the hiring of those 2 dullards Jones & Miles - another classic CFL GOB recycle job - then he needs to get lost too.

Still think Crum was a very good find at QB who could become a solid CFL starter if not star with some proper offensive coaching and play-calling; and that young RB Williams has really impressed late this season; a couple of 1st overall draft picks have played on the O-line; and they have some solid receivers so adding one more good newcomer could make for a very good corps. Some building blocks on O.

D has holes galore though and needs upgrades at all 3 units IMO.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    It would totally suck to be a RedBlacks fan. They had such a great first four years, then four horrendous years in a row.
    The Argos were 4-14 and the Redblacks were 3-15 in 2019. Since that time, the Argos have gone 32-14 and the Redblacks have gone 11-35.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    The Argos were 4-14 and the Redblacks were 3-15 in 2019. Since that time, the Argos have gone 32-14 and the Redblacks have gone 11-35.
    At least the Redblacks have been competitive this year. Their average margin of losses going into yesterday were averaging less than 6 points. Considering they are on their #3 QB and a raw rookie at that who still makes a lot of rooking mistakes, I think they have been good. And as i have mentioned before, late game coaching decisions by Bobby D has cost them 3 wins IMO. They sure were more competitive in Toronto than most teams have been this year.

Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    How bout that onside punt on 2nd down. I think the rule should be the ball must pass the first down marker for it to become a 1st down if recovered by the punter
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    How bout that onside punt on 2nd down. I think the rule should be the ball must pass the first down marker for it to become a 1st down if recovered by the punter
    It's a stupid rule as is. It should have to go past the first down marker, or at the very least, make it like an onside kickoff, where the kicking team can't be the first to touch the ball until it has travelled 10 yards from where it is kicked.

CFL and Argo historian from twitter, Bygone Boatmen and I chatted about this yesterday, and he went into the Football Canada rule book, where the ball does have to go past the first down marker for it to be considered a new set of downs.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    At least the Redblacks have been competitive this year. Their average margin of losses going into yesterday were averaging less than 6 points. Considering they are on their #3 QB and a raw rookie at that who still makes a lot of rooking mistakes, I think they have been good. And as i have mentioned before, late game coaching decisions by Bobby D has cost them 3 wins IMO. They sure were more competitive in Toronto than most teams have been this year.
    I agree that the Redblacks are better than they have been over the previous three seasons even though their record doesn't really indicate it. I think that some of the pieces are in place in Ottawa including two promising young QBs in Crum and Kyrie Adams, an improved o-line (even though they were bad on Saturday), and a decent d-line. The areas of concern that need to be addressed are the receiving corps and defensive secondary but if they can improve those two areas, they can be a playoff team next year.

Further, I would give both Dyce and Shawn Burke next year to see their plan through. I know that Ottawa fans are losing patience but blowing things up yet again is unnecessary IMO.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    I absolutely hate that rule.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    At least the Redblacks have been competitive this year. Their average margin of losses going into yesterday were averaging less than 6 points.
    You are right AV. They remind me of the startup Redblacks who didn't know how to finish games. The question for next year is will the take the next step and mature into a team that grabs those possible wins. Crum shows promise, and he may well do so, although he has to learn when to slide in order to survive long-term. On the other hand, Crum may end up being one of quite a few who never get to the next level, thinking that some limited success in what you are already doing means you don't have to change much.

HC Bob Dyce, IMO, has cost Ottawa several possible wins and its time to change HCs. Furthermore, if he is still there next year and Ottawa does not start winning immediately, I'm afraid the boos will become deafening. That may not be fair, but that is the nature of fandom everywhere.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post

Further, I would give both Dyce and Shawn Burke next year to see their plan through. I know that Ottawa fans are losing patience but blowing things up yet again is unnecessary IMO.
    I agree with you on this point. You can't just keep changing coaching staffs. Continuity is important. Dyce made some bad in game decisions this year, but he isn't stupid.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I absolutely hate that rule.
    I'm torn. I generally like the crazy quirks of Cdn football, but being able to get a first down simply by advancing the ball across the line of scrimmage seems too quirky. A team that needed 18 yards for a first down got one by advancing the ball one yard.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I'm torn. I generally like the crazy quirks of Cdn football, but being able to get a first down simply by advancing the ball across the line of scrimmage seems too quirky. A team that needed 18 yards for a first down got one by advancing the ball one yard.

For that trick play by Antwi to work, the guy who's about to dribble kick the ball has to be alone, with nobody around him for 20 yards or so (which was the case with that brain-dead Ottawa DC defence); and he has to execute a controlled dribble kick and make sure it crosses the LOS, and then recover it (not as easy as it looks IMO); a prepared and aggressive D should be all over this play and make the coward calling that play pay by recovering the ball - a turn-over and a huge loss of yards and field position. Love to see the Als try this again in a play-off game; and they did nothing with that trick play 1st down anyways and had to punt the ball away soon after.

71 GC game - Argo punt returner Harry Aboffs had a ball go off his foot and out of bounds (looked accidental maybe to me but the refs ruled it a kick) = ball went back to the Stamps; very costly play in a low-scoring game where the Argos maintaining possession there could have possibly led to a GC win.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    My problem with it is that in theory you give a team that just had a huge negative play a get out of jail free card. Why not make the kickoff rule the same then? Dribble it 1 yard and recover.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I'm torn as well.

On the one hand, it's not an exciting, super-athletic play for a first down on 2nd and long. On the other hand, it's not as easy to execute as it looks, and it represents the offense taking advantage of what the defense has given them. Another positive is that now defenses will be less likely to keep so many players deep in 2nd and long situations, which should open up more room for big-play conversions.

I wouldn't be in a rush to change the rule, but I'm curious to see how teams adopt and adapt to it now having been used successfully.