Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Effect of USFL XFL Merger on CFL

One obvious effect of the merger is the loss of teams since either 8 or 10 or 12 teams of the two leagues 16 teams will still be in existence. The collapse of every spring league in the past has brought some new players to the CFL, sometimes ones who went to fine CFL careers, even Doug Flutie, although he had time in the NFL before arriving in BC. This will increase the potential number of new players who could come to the CFL. Once the dust settles what players from the XFL or USFL would you like to see in the CFL next year?

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/xfl-...L-XFL%20merger.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    There is even talk that such a merger might not even save spring football, which would mean even more talent potentially arriving in the CFL.

The XFL and USFL leagues are in advanced merger talks, Axios reports — a transaction that could keep semi-pro springtime football, including the San Antonio Brahmas, alive in the short term. Even so, such a marriage may do little but prolong the inevitable demise of both leagues, one local expert said.

"My point of view is that I don't see the XFL lasting very long," Ricard Jensen, a senior sports marketing lecturer at the University of Texas San Antonio, told the Currentearlier this summer. "The only thing that might work is for there to be some type of merger with the USFL. But, even then, it would be tough for that new league to go ahead and make it."

The XFL and USFL are hoping to complete their nuptials prior to the start of their 2024 seasons, with an agreement possibly finalized later this week, Axios reports, citing three sources familiar with the talks.

Word of a possible merger comes months after XFL's owner, Hollwood actor Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, told Forbes that despite the league's $60 million loss last season, he's in it for the long haul. "This is not just an endeavor that's going to fill up a portfolio, and one day we flip it, and we're out," Johnson said in June. "This is legacy. This is the long game."

Both the XFL and USFL reported meager game attendance. The XFL's championship game hosted at San Antonio's Alamodome drew just 22,754 fans, and only 1.4 million watched on TV. In contrast, UTSA Football's home games last season drew an average of 28,917 fans, while 113.06 million tuned in for Super Bowl LVII.

There's a chance the merged leagues would focus on large markets without an NFL team, meaning San Antonio's Brahmas could survive the transition. However, Jensen says that it's not the markets that are the issue but the talent semi-pro sports leagues are able to put on the field.

"The challenge facing leagues like the XFL and USFL is that we live in a country that's used to having professional sports leagues with the best athletes in the world," Jensen said. "Despite what leagues like the XFL says, if their rosters are full of people that we haven't heard of, they're clearly not NFL quality, or maybe they're washed-up NFL players, people just aren't going to be lining up to cheer for that."
    https://www.sacurrent.com/arts/repor...-says-32737964

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrym View Post
    There is even talk that such a merger might not even save spring football, which would mean even more talent potentially arriving in the CFL.

https://www.sacurrent.com/arts/repor...-says-32737964
    I don't believe it will save spring football. Both leagues lost a ton of money and this is a desperation band aid solution if there ever was one.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I don't believe it will save spring football. Both leagues lost a ton of money and this is a desperation band aid solution if there ever was one.
    Spring football is yet again on life support. Who didn't predict that?
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Thank goodness that wacky idea of merging the CFL with the XFL never gained any traction.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 226
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Mr. Pessimistic. This “Rebrand” of “Spring football powerhouses” is going “Revolutionize” football. Thats what I read anyway. Apparently Dany and Rocks XFL email accounts have been disconnected. Probably nothing.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    Thank goodness that wacky idea of merging the CFL with the XFL never gained any traction.
    I suspect that Larry Tanenbaum now understands what a colossal disaster that would have been.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    Mr. Pessimistic. This “Rebrand” of “Spring football powerhouses” is going “Revolutionize” football. Thats what I read anyway. Apparently Dany and Rocks XFL email accounts have been disconnected. Probably nothing.
    I remember that Dave Naylor and maybe Farhan Lalji seemed gung-ho on the idea of the CFL merging with the XFL but I haven't heard much about that from them lately.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by gilthethrill View Post
    I think you misspelled Perfect. I’ll chalk that up to auto correct on your phone.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 75.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    I remember that Dave Naylor and maybe Farhan Lalji seemed gung-ho on the idea of the CFL merging with the XFL but I haven't heard much about that from them lately.
    That talk could re-surface anytime in the future, with the lack of respect for Canadian football in it;s own country and all sorts of American wannabes getting to cover the CFL in the media here.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    That talk could re-surface anytime in the future, with the lack of respect for Canadian football in it;s own country and all sorts of American wannabes getting to cover the CFL in the media here.
    I don't see that happening unless if the XFL starts making money. The league's reputation took a hit last season as it was generally poorly executed, with at least one game featuring sidelines that were not straight.