Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    The 2017 Grey Cup banner was raised during the 2018 home opener against Calgary.
    In 2016, the Argos moved to BMO Field but they didn't have championship banners hanging in the stadium until the next year.

In 2017 there was a small ceremony before the home opener, raising all championship banners for the first time at BMO.
    Last edited by "Issues"Mcgee; 10-05-2023 at 12:12 PM.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    ArgoGabe is correct in stating the move to the Dome was ultimately a bad move. However, when the move was initiated, it was considered by most as an excellent move, especially after considering the Fog Bowl, which motivated the move in the first place. I know I am in a minority, but I never considered the sight lines as being that bad. The real problem came when the evil empire (Rogers) bought the Dome for a pittance and then proceeded to make life for the team and its fans an absolute misery. Anyone remember a game being shoved out so a kid's show ( the Wiggles?) could be accommodated!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    Oddly, I have no recollection of the banner incident, but I have a vivid memory of Ricky Ray throwing for more than 500 yards in the 2017 opener, and S.J. Green making his Argo debut with a pile of superb receptions on 50-50 balls.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    ArgoGabe is correct in stating the move to the Dome was ultimately a bad move. However, when the move was initiated, it was considered by most as an excellent move, especially after considering the Fog Bowl, which motivated the move in the first place. I know I am in a minority, but I never considered the sight lines as being that bad. The real problem came when the evil empire (Rogers) bought the Dome for a pittance and then proceeded to make life for the team and its fans an absolute misery. Anyone remember a game being shoved out so a kid's show ( the Wiggles?) could be accommodated!!
    I'm one of those who did consider the sight lines (mostly) bad at SkyDome -- the 200 level was pretty good, but the most expensive seats at midfield were the farthest from the action. I've just been digitizing some old games and one I did recently was the first regular-season game in the dome. Scott Oake on the CBC broadcast made a point of showing how bad the turf was where the bases, plate and mound were located. Raised up, gigantic seams, etc. This problem hit its nadir in the 70-18 win over Calgary a year later, when the game was almost called off because the turf around each base was so high. The turf problem was fixed, eventually, but the fact that from Day 1 the Argos were an after-thought shows why, IMO, moving into the dome was a terrible turning point in the team's history.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    I know we can recall obscure plays that happened in the 1970's in vivid detail, but does anyone here remember anything that happened in the last 11 years?

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    I know we can recall obscure plays that happened in the 1970's in vivid detail, but does anyone here remember anything that happened in the last 11 years?
    Because, I suspect, greater than 75% of Argo players in the 1970's caused permanent trauma to those present.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Another lowlight: the 2015 schedule. 'home' games in Fort McMurray, Ottawa, and twice in Hamilton.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    The SkyDome was built largely because of the 1982 Grey Cup (a.k.a. The Rain Bowl), which started off great with conditions deteriorating horribly in the 2nd half. Paul Godfrey, who was Metro Chair at the time, used the 1982 Grey Cup as the impetus to have a new domed stadium built for his beloved Blue Jays and the inevitable NFL franchise that would arrive in Toronto.

The Wiggles debacle happened in the 2004 playoffs. The Argos had to play the East semi-final against Hamilton on a Friday night at SkyDome. Over 37k turned out and the TV ratings on CBC were great too so a Friday night playoff game wasn't the worst thing to happen although it wasn't the #1 choice for when to play that game.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Don
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    Another lowlight: the 2015 schedule. 'home' games in Fort McMurray, Ottawa, and twice in Hamilton.
    Indeed.

Although, the 10,000 km drive to Ft. McMurray and back was fun.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    The Wiggles debacle happened in the 2004 playoffs. The Argos had to play the East semi-final against Hamilton on a Friday night at SkyDome. Over 37k turned out and the TV ratings on CBC were great too so a Friday night playoff game wasn't the worst thing to happen although it wasn't the #1 choice for when to play that game.
    Ever since then I have been longing for another Friday night playoff game. Friday Night Football is TSN's signature, and if they had just one game to show, it could start at 8 or even 830 and be hyped as an event, akin to Monday Night Football down south.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by argolio View Post
    Sept 12, 2008 blowout home loss to Winnipeg. Never seen an Argo crowd get that ugly. A boo-fest right to the end.
    Coincidentally the last home game I missed because I was attending a good friend's wedding.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Boatman
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    Ever since then I have been longing for another Friday night playoff game. Friday Night Football is TSN's signature, and if they had just one game to show, it could start at 8 or even 830 and be hyped as an event, akin to Monday Night Football down south.
    I remember this being a pretty memorable event and unique with it being on a Friday night, Depending upon how the Saturday playoff games are received this year, maybe Friday playoff games could be tried next season, alternating between East and West.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by primetime31 View Post
    I remember this being a pretty memorable event and unique with it being on a Friday night, Depending upon how the Saturday playoff games are received this year, maybe Friday playoff games could be tried next season, alternating between East and West.
    It may make more sense to have one game on the Friday night and the other on Saturday afternoon come playoff time. I question going head-to-head with Hockey Night in Canada in primetime on Saturday nights as they will be doing this year.

Back in 2004, when the Argos played that Friday night playoff home game, playoff games were typically played on Sundays with the early game being at 3:30 pm EST and the late game at 7 pm EST. I know that there were concerns about attendance but 2004 set a playoff record for attendance and TV ratings tended to be very good back in those days too - all be it on CBC, with a much larger reach than cable.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    It may make more sense to have one game on the Friday night and the other on Saturday afternoon come playoff time. I question going head-to-head with Hockey Night in Canada in primetime on Saturday nights as they will be doing this year.

Back in 2004, when the Argos played that Friday night playoff home game, playoff games were typically played on Sundays with the early game being at 3:30 pm EST and the late game at 7 pm EST. I know that there were concerns about attendance but 2004 set a playoff record for attendance and TV ratings tended to be very good back in those days too - all be it on CBC, with a much larger reach than cable.
    I agree with you Ravi about going head to head with HNIC. They should do 12:30 and 3:45 start times for the playoffs on Satureday and be done by the time Hockey is ready to go at 7:15. This is also my argument against those that want to start the season in May. Going head to head with NHL playoffs (whether Canadian teams are still alive or not) would be nuts.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    I'm one of those who did consider the sight lines (mostly) bad at SkyDome -- the 200 level was pretty good, but the most expensive seats at midfield were the farthest from the action. I've just been digitizing some old games and one I did recently was the first regular-season game in the dome. Scott Oake on the CBC broadcast made a point of showing how bad the turf was where the bases, plate and mound were located. Raised up, gigantic seams, etc. This problem hit its nadir in the 70-18 win over Calgary a year later, when the game was almost called off because the turf around each base was so high. The turf problem was fixed, eventually, but the fact that from Day 1 the Argos were an after-thought shows why, IMO, moving into the dome was a terrible turning point in the team's history.
    Level 100 at Skydome also isn’t steep enough, you can be 20 rows up and still not have a very good view of the game especially behind the Argos bench.
    BMO Field is a far superior venue for CFL football.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 176
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Skydome had its pluses. A wonder of the world when it opened, with wide concourses, nice downtown location, and most importantly for many people, the weather was never a factor. And Skydome occasionally saw big crowds, including a whopping 40,116 at one regular season game in October 2007. Whether they were papering the house or not, it got larger crowds than BMO does now and it could be pretty darn loud.

I do like BMO better, overall, and attendance is trending up. But we've been pretty lucky with the weather there.
    Faster + Louder = Better

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by shayman View Post
    And Skydome occasionally saw big crowds, including a whopping 40,116 at one regular season game in October 2007.
    I remember that game against the Riders. I don't think there were that many people actually in the building that night, but it was a big crowd, with no doubt a papered house. It's a shame C&S didn't have their own money behind the team. They definitely were a fan friendly "ownership" group.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    I remember that game against the Riders. I don't think there were that many people actually in the building that night, but it was a big crowd, with no doubt a papered house. It's a shame C&S didn't have their own money behind the team. They definitely were a fan friendly "ownership" group.
    That particular crowd was actually for a first place battle with Winnipeg near the end of the season, AV. The Argos won a hard fought game by a score of 16-8.

Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Created Album picturesOverdriveVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Here’s one. Wristbands for autographs gone before tailgate opens. Who said anything about wristbands needed for autographs? And 45 min way too short to do the full 3. Lot of angry fans. Even the staff working the event no nothing about wristbands. Jason Collero even said it’s not on his job. So who planned this?
    Argos Season Ticket Holder 2016-2021.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Nice to see Dan Ferone signing autographs. For long while he was face of the Argos. Lots of argo fans here