Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
This one started out as a low point but ended in glory:

2017 Home Opener vs the Ticats. The Argos had successfully moved to BMO Field the season before, so they had the championship banners raised at their new home for the first time. It was to be a glorious moment symbolizing the team's new found stability and triumph over the adversity they had faced in the seasons leading up to the move to BMO.

Ticat fans were everywhere and they brought their attitude with them. Y'see in those days, Hamilton used to beat the Argos a lot.

The pre-game ceremony started off great but, as the banners were rising, it was immediately apparent something had gone wrong. A clown show ensued with one of the workers falling over and getting dragged across the field by the rope he was holding on to. During that frantic scramble, one of the banners ripped in half. I forget which year it was, because the whole scene was traumatic to watch and I may have partially blacked out due to the stress of having to sit through that.

It was humiliating. The laughter of the Ticat fans in the audience was unbearable, but no one had predicted what happened next.

The Argos destroyed the Ticats. Absolutely slaughtered them 32-15. It was never close. As for the Ticats fans, I will always remember how their moods completely shifted. They became hostile. They were frothing at the mouth. It was incredible.

The game was so good, everyone forgot about the banner raising disaster. It was never talked about or mentioned after that.
The 2017 Grey Cup banner was raised during the 2018 home opener against Calgary.