Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level

Game Thread: Ottawa at Montreal Monday October 9th

The Als should take the Redblacks - the talent difference was obvious last week.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 37.0%
    Achievements:
    VeteranOverdrive25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Montreal wants to make sure they stay in 2nd. I think they will take this at home.
    It's us vs the rest of the country

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by AngeloV View Post
    Montreal wants to make sure they stay in 2nd. I think they will take this at home.
    No way in hell that I am picking Ottawa in this one, although they may surprise all of us.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    A Rider win vs. Hamilton on Saturday eliminates Ottawa from the play-offs.

IF they are still in the race, I could see Ottawa winning, but still likely doubtful - their coaching staff is just way too dumb.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    I'm surprised to see that Ottawa is still mathematically alive.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    I'm surprised to see that Ottawa is still mathematically alive.
    Like Edmonton last night, their hopes are hanging by a thread.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award

Level
    Below are the Als and Redblacks injury reports. Missing Mauldin will definitely hurt the Ottawa defence. On the Als side, the big name is Stanback, who is questionable.

https://www.cfl.ca/2023/10/05/redbla...-out-on-thurs/

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 3%, Points required for next Level: 195
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Not sure who to cheer for in this one, but I expect Montreal to win.

I think losing Mauldin will hurt the Redblacks even more than losing Stanback will hurt the Als.

With Mauldin out, even more emphasis will be on Bryce Carter to pressure Fajardo. But that also means the Als O-line can pay more attention to blocking Carter.

The part I put in red text below is cause for concern with the Als. Fajardo will have to put it together to beat the Ticats in the ESF.
    -----

Here's the PFF preview:

OTTAWA REDBLACKS VS. MONTREAL ALOUETTES

Ottawa suffered a tough loss to these Alouettes last week, and that essentially closed the book on their playoff chances. While they are not officially eliminated yet, it’s currently out of their hands as Saskatchewan needs to win just one more game and it’s over. QB Dustin Crum played his worst game of the season last week, forcing bad throws (three turnover-worthy plays) and missing open looks. He finished with a grade of just 53.9 overall. He’ll need to bounce back for Ottawa to have any chance in this one. Montreal is looking to win and keep a hold on their home playoff game, as they are currently one game up on Hamilton for second in the East. QB Cody Fajardo’s struggles continued last week (53.9 passing grade) and he was lucky it didn’t cost them. In the six games since his return from injury, Fajardo has a league-low passing grade of just 59.1 and 12 turnover-worthy plays to just six big-time throws.

MATCHUP TO WATCH:
    LT NICK CALLENDER, MONTREAL VS. EDGE BRYCE CARTER, OTTAWA

Looking at the numbers, it’s been a very good season for Carter off the edge. He’s currently tied for second with 63 total pressures, and his pass rush win rate of 13.3% ranks seventh among edge rushers. But last week was a tough week for him. He finished with just one sack and one additional pressure. In fact, when he matched up against Callender, he didn’t record a single pressure. He also didn’t contribute against the run either. Callender is the highest-graded left tackle in the CFL this season at 75.2 overall. But his pass-blocking efficiency score of 96.4 ranks eighth. When he’s beaten, it often ends in a sack. So he’ll need a repeat performance and keep Carter off the stat sheet if Montreal is going to have the same success as last week.

PLAYER TO WATCH:
    WR AUSTIN MACK, MONTREAL

Mack missed last week’s game due to injury, but it looks like he should be back for this one. Ultimately, they didn’t need him, but Montreal’s offense definitely could’ve used Mack last week. He’s been a Redblacks killer this year. In the two previous games he played, Mack put up 13 catches for 236 yards. He picked up eight first downs, had four explosive plays and made three contested catches in those games. Mack has been one of the best receivers in the CFL this season and is averaging 2.23 yards per route run, which ranks second among outside receivers. Mack can do it all, from making guys miss after a short catch, to taking shots over the middle, to hauling in deep bombs. Watch for him to have a big impact in this game.

Don
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Down 26 and with 6 minutes left in the game, Mr. Bob Dyce elects to kick a field goal.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Boatman
    Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Achievements:
    1 year registered1000 Experience Points

Level
    What a bad, boring game! Shame that the Thanksgiving Day game couldn't have been abit more of a real contest to maybe draw in some more fans. The BC / Winnipeg game Friday night was so entertaining, but I wonder how many fans stayed up to watch it.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Down 26 and with 6 minutes left in the game, Mr. Bob Dyce elects to kick a field goal.
    Yep - pathetic & embarrassing (and the Ottawa radio post-game was all over that). Guess he didn't want a shut-out on his resume ? WTF ???

Dyce & staff & GM need to go there; same deal for the Riders staff; and the EE crew; and Dickenson in Cowtown is just not a winning HC, but they might have a replacement from within.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Yep - pathetic & embarrassing (and the Ottawa radio post-game was all over that). Guess he didn't want a shut-out on his resume ? WTF ???

Dyce & staff & GM need to go there; same deal for the Riders staff; and the EE crew; and Dickenson in Cowtown is just not a winning HC, but they might have a replacement from within.
    I’d add Orlondo Steinauer to that list.
    Looks like some opportunities will be available for some of the up and coming coordinators in the CFL to advance themselves.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    I’d add Orlondo Steinauer to that list.
    Looks like some opportunities will be available for some of the up and coming coordinators in the CFL to advance themselves.
    Scotty M takes over as HC there?

Ego-Jones likely gets more time, cause he's such a genius and just needs more time, + they're too cheap /$$$s consideration ?

Riders need a total overhaul.

Dickenson might have too much of an ego to relinquish a lot of control in Cowtown ?

Ottawa org. / ownership - who knows if they have any kind of brains? - doesn't seem so when they went out and hired those 2 dullards Khari & Miles - was that forced on Dyce or did he approve ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    Scotty M takes over as HC there?

Ego-Jones likely gets more time, cause he's such a genius and just needs more time, + they're too cheap /$$$s consideration ?

Riders need a total overhaul.

Dickenson might have too much of an ego to relinquish a lot of control in Cowtown ?

Ottawa org. / ownership - who knows if they have any kind of brains? - doesn't seem so when they went out and hired those 2 dullards Khari & Miles - was that forced on Dyce or did he approve ?
    Do you think Ottawa also will take a run at Milanovich?
    The Riders need to clean house from top to bottom I agree.
    Chris Jones will probably get more time in Edmonton which I don’t think is justified.
    Changes may come in Calgary who aren’t accustomed to sucking like they have this season.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Argo57 View Post
    Do you think Ottawa also will take a run at Milanovich?
    The Riders need to clean house from top to bottom I agree.
    Chris Jones will probably get more time in Edmonton which I don’t think is justified.
    Changes may come in Calgary who aren’t accustomed to sucking like they have this season.

Ottawa most likely go with another recycled GOB, so they might try for Scotty M.

Riders will go GOB too.

Same old / same old.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    One bad season after several good ones and a Grey Cup victory should not spell the end for Dave Dickenson in Calgary. In fact, I would suggest that there's zero chance that he isn't back as Stampeders head coach next year.

Craig Dickenson and Jeremy O'Day are done in Saskatchewan unless they make a magical run to the Grey Cup game.

Chris Jones and Bob Dyce will both get another season in their respective cities.

Orlando Steinauer has probably saved his job with a bit of a push in the second half of this season - just like last year. If he does boot himself upstairs, then I can see Milanovich taking over as HC there.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoRavi View Post
    One bad season after several good ones and a Grey Cup victory should not spell the end for Dave Dickenson in Calgary. In fact, I would suggest that there's zero chance that he isn't back as Stampeders head coach next year.

Craig Dickenson and Jeremy O'Day are done in Saskatchewan unless they make a magical run to the Grey Cup game.

Chris Jones and Bob Dyce will both get another season in their respective cities.

Orlando Steinauer has probably saved his job with a bit of a push in the second half of this season - just like last year. If he does boot himself upstairs, then I can see Milanovich taking over as HC there.
    I agree with most of this, except I doubt Dyce survives. I 100% agree Dave Dickenson isn't going anywhere, unless he kicks himself upstairs and hands the HC job to Monson or Kilam.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    Jones probably stays in Edmonton because of their second half improvement-although that's on him. If he had started Tre Ford from game 1 they are probably. 500 and in the playoffs.
    Saskatchewan and Ottawa will be looking for new coaches.
    Corey Mace will have his pick. Saskatchewan may be looking for a bigger name. Ottawa is absolutely insane if they don't bring Mace in as head coach. Alot of Argo back ups will follow him over. Argo back ups are better than most Ottawa starters.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Jones probably stays in Edmonton because of their second half improvement-although that's on him. If he had started Tre Ford from game 1 they are probably. 500 and in the playoffs.
    Saskatchewan and Ottawa will be looking for new coaches.
    Corey Mace will have his pick. Saskatchewan may be looking for a bigger name. Ottawa is absolutely insane if they don't bring Mace in as head coach. Alot of Argo back ups will follow him over. Argo back ups are better than most Ottawa starters.
    I hope the Argo get to keep Mace; but very good OCs or DCs do not automatically make good HCs; and Ottawa might be wary of the example of Claybrooks - who took over HC at BC, from the Stamps org. too, and did not fare well.

Like to know which Argo back-ups you figure are better than most Ottawa starters ? I can't name a single sure-fire one. The Argos are far superior to Ottawa in coaching smarts, wayyyyyyy more than they are better in talent, IMO.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    I gotta hand it to you, OV.

At the beginning of the season, you predicted Chris Jones' ego would cost the Elks.

And that's exactly what happened. Jones refused to go with anyone but Cornelius until it was way too late. The Elks didn't win until Ford got the start. Their season could have been completely different.