Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    I gotta hand it to you, OV.

At the beginning of the season, you predicted Chris Jones' ego would cost the Elks.

And that's exactly what happened. Jones refused to go with anyone but Cornelius until it was way too late. The Elks didn't win until Ford got the start. Their season could have been completely different.

Well, I believe my belief in the uber importance of coaching smarts in football has been proven this season, in a few cases.

Jones is not a HC, he's more like a defensive consultant or D position coach at best IMO, but a legend in his own mind; his offence AND defence (for this supposed expert there) have been mediocre to putrid for 2 straight seasons with the EE now (in yet another recycled GOB chance for him); he has no clue about QBs (and maybe Ford would have won them a few more games, but i'm not sure of that - he's obviously a better QB talent than the 2 guys Jones passport preferred though).

And I had high hopes that Bob Dyce could show some smarts or different thinking but I suspected they were bound for failure there with the hiring of Jones & Miles as his OC & DC = ultra limited, same old, no imagination or smarts, recycled GOB dupes. And Dyce's dumb in game decisions likely cost them several win-able games.

And how many more chances does Davey Dickenson deserve to show he's a clown of an HC with the used to be very strong Stamps team/org. ? He's lost big play-off games galore and this season has sunk to league bottom feeder.

The Riders are a train-wreck with IMO really dumb/ poor decisions & coaching. Riderfans are howling for blood there, and rightfully so. I just bet they are going to go same old CFL recycling for the replacements though.

Argos are other end of the scale in the coaching department IMO; and Ryan D (and staff he picked) is maybe not getting enough recognition for what he has accomplished in his first 3 years at the helm: 1) 1st in the East and coulda/shoulda been in the GC; 2) wins the GC; 3) best season start/record in Argo history. Maybe the best first three seasons HC in CFL history ?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 79%, Points required for next Level: 85
    Overall activity: 21.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Jones probably stays in Edmonton because of their second half improvement-although that's on him. If he had started Tre Ford from game 1 they are probably. 500 and in the playoffs.
    Saskatchewan and Ottawa will be looking for new coaches.
    Corey Mace will have his pick. Saskatchewan may be looking for a bigger name. Ottawa is absolutely insane if they don't bring Mace in as head coach. Alot of Argo back ups will follow him over. Argo back ups are better than most Ottawa starters.
    Are the Argo backups better than most Ottawa starters? It is an interesting argument. Not sure I agree with it but there are several Argo rotational players who IMO could be starters on other teams in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if other teams go after some of those players in the off season. I would suggest Jones (LB), Barlow (DL), Giffen (OL) and perhaps even Cassar (LB) might well attract attention from other teams during free agency.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    Are the Argo backups better than most Ottawa starters? It is an interesting argument. Not sure I agree with it but there are several Argo rotational players who IMO could be starters on other teams in the league. I wouldn't be surprised if other teams go after some of those players in the off season. I would suggest Jones (LB), Barlow (DL), Giffen (OL) and perhaps even Cassar (LB) might well attract attention from other teams during free agency.
    Jones & Barlow - as imports who have flashed good talent on a top notch Argo D, might be poached by some other teams who might be willing to offer them good starter money ?

I doubt the likes of Giffen or Cassar - vet Canadian depth guys who have not been starters - draw much interest, but maybe? A CFL GM or scout paying attention should maybe take a run at Tommy Nield, for receiver help - he could start for a couple of teams perhaps, IMO. I hope the Argos recognize his obvious talent though and retain him.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Argo View Post
    I hope the Argo get to keep Mace; but very good OCs or DCs do not automatically make good HCs; and Ottawa might be wary of the example of Claybrooks - who took over HC at BC, from the Stamps org. too, and did not fare well.

Like to know which Argo back-ups you figure are better than most Ottawa starters ? I can't name a single sure-fire one. The Argos are far superior to Ottawa in coaching smarts, wayyyyyyy more than they are better in talent, IMO.
    I think that Claybrooks could have been a good head coach - and, to be fair, his second half of the season in 2019 was a hell of a lot better than his first half - but he never was given another chance, which I think was a shame. Apparently, he is now running a restaurant in Calgary.
    Chad Kelly + Dan Adeboboye + David Ungerer + Damonte Coxie + DaVaris Daniels + Dejon Brissett = Unstoppable Force