Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Overall activity: 8.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran10000 Experience Points

Level
    So how many come-from-behind wins does that make this season? Is it 4 or 5? This team simply refuses to lose. You can almost feel the winning mojo radiating off these guys, I’ve never seen anything like it.

People will call next week’s game meaningless, but tying the CFL record for most wins ever would mean a lot not just to fans like me, but to everyone in that dressing room I am sure. There’s already chatter about this team being the best ever. What player wouldn’t want to be part of that legacy?

Saying that winning the Cup is the only thing that matters in a football season is like saying an orgasm is the only thing that matters when you have sex. It’s not completely true. ;-)

Argo Fan
    Level completed: 56%, Points required for next Level: 89
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    So how many come-from-behind wins does that make this season? Is it 4 or 5? This team simply refuses to lose. You can almost feel the winning mojo radiating off these guys, I’ve never seen anything like it.

People will call next week’s game meaningless, but tying the CFL record for most wins ever would mean a lot not just to fans like me, but to everyone in that dressing room I am sure. There’s already chatter about this team being the best ever. What player wouldn’t want to be part of that legacy?

Saying that winning the Cup is the only thing that matters in a football season is like saying an orgasm is the only thing that matters when you have sex. It’s not completely true. ;-)
    Disagree. Record for wins is meaningless if they don't win the Cup.

Do you really think that having 16 wins makes them better than the Edmonton team that won 5 straight Cups? Seriously?

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 122
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue90 View Post
    Disagree. Record for wins is meaningless if they don't win the Cup.

Do you really think that having 16 wins makes them better than the Edmonton team that won 5 straight Cups? Seriously?
    Are you seriously comparing one season to five seasons? 16 wins would mean the 2023 Argos compare favourably to the 16-2 1989 EE, and that team didn’t win the Cup. Talk to me in 4 (or three) years to see if the Argos compare to the 5-Cup team. Given Chad’s long-term contract wouldn’t you agree this team could possibly string a few Cups together too?

Don
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    OverdriveCreated Album picturesVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Considering this game meant nothing to the Argos, Suitor spent too much time analyzing the decision to go for it on 3rd and 4. Firstly, the way I saw that decision was that it would not have been made during a meaningful game. Secondly, a field goal there would have allowed Saskatchewan to scrimmage from their own 40, which is much better field position than the 14. Dinwiddie was hoping his defense would get a 2 and out and get the ball back giving Dukes a shorter field. Now that appeared to have blown up in his face as the Riders gained a few first downs and ended up punting from their own 40. Dukes was up to the task of leading the Argos downfield anyways for the game winning TD.
    TORONTO ARGONAUTS FOOTBALL CLUB
    GREY CUP CHAMPIONS: 1914, 1921, 1933, 1937, 1938, 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1952, 1983, 1991, 1996, 1997, 2004, 2012, 2017, 2022

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Are you seriously comparing one season to five seasons? 16 wins would mean the 2023 Argos compare favourably to the 16-2 1989 EE, and that team didn’t win the Cup. Talk to me in 4 (or three) years to see if the Argos compare to the 5-Cup team. Given Chad’s long-term contract wouldn’t you agree this team could possibly string a few Cups together too?
    I think that is Blue90’s point, very premature to anoint the Argos as the “greatest team ever” before this seasons playoffs even start.
    Lets see how things play out in November before talking an Argo dynasty.
    Regular season records are nice but championships are the ultimate goal.
    I consider those 1978-82 Edmonton teams as the most dominant team ever.
    Toronto Argonauts
    18 Time World Champions

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 91
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    Considering this game meant nothing to the Argos, Suitor spent too much time analyzing the decision to go for it on 3rd and 4. Firstly, the way I saw that decision was that it would not have been made during a meaningful game. Secondly, a field goal there would have allowed Saskatchewan to scrimmage from their own 40, which is much better field position than the 14. Dinwiddie was hoping his defense would get a 2 and out and get the ball back giving Dukes a shorter field. Now that appeared to have blown up in his face as the Riders gained a few first downs and ended up punting from their own 40. Dukes was up to the task of leading the Argos downfield anyways for the game winning TD.
    While watching the game, I didn't understand why they didn't kick the field goal and did not agree with the decision to go for it. But your explanation makes sense. I am just glad it worked out in the end.

Boatman
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 104
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:

Level
    If there's anything that scares me about the team moving forward is that the Roughriders provided a passing blueprint to other teams for a method of attacking the Argos defense. Bane and Emilius were feasting on the hitch screens and short dig routes, until the Argos moved to zone in the second half.

I feel that a return from one of Daniel or Amos would helped strengthen the defensive backfield, no sense counting on Priester or Carnell this late in the season. For what its worth Pierce seemed to have a good game, but I couldn't trust a raw rookie in that position for the East Final.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilz View Post
    If there's anything that scares me about the team moving forward is that the Roughriders provided a passing blueprint to other teams for a method of attacking the Argos defense. Bane and Emilius were feasting on the hitch screens and short dig routes, until the Argos moved to zone in the second half.

I feel that a return from one of Daniel or Amos would helped strengthen the defensive backfield, no sense counting on Priester or Carnell this late in the season. For what its worth Pierce seemed to have a good game, but I couldn't trust a raw rookie in that position for the East Final.
    I'd be really worried too if I thought that the basic cover 2 which we saw Dolegala have success against on Saturday was what we were going with when the result matters.
    We know that it isn't. Coach Mace is nobodies fool.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 65%, Points required for next Level: 143
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by ArgoGabe22 View Post
    Just looked like a desperate play to keep the ball in play. The band is on the field!
    Damon Allen was the QB for Cal in that game.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by bluto View Post
    I'd be really worried too if I thought that the basic cover 2 which we saw Dolegala have success against on Saturday was what we were going with when the result matters.
    We know that it isn't. Coach Mace is nobodies fool.
    Agree with this 100%. This Argo team is going to be scary in the playoffs. Mace will have schemes ready that no team have seen yet this season. They continue to win playing vanilla defence. Can't wait for the East Final. If TFC can get 27,000 to their season finale after their worst record in team history-someone will need to explain to me how the Argos East Final cannot draw the same attendance. We share the same President. Perhaps he can do for the Argos for that game what he was able to do for TFC. Here's hoping.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooter McCray View Post
    Agree with this 100%. This Argo team is going to be scary in the playoffs. Mace will have schemes ready that no team have seen yet this season. They continue to win playing vanilla defence. Can't wait for the East Final. If TFC can get 27,000 to their season finale after their worst record in team history-someone will need to explain to me how the Argos East Final cannot draw the same attendance. We share the same President. Perhaps he can do for the Argos for that game what he was able to do for TFC. Here's hoping.
    27,000 would be fantastic but I am not sure the Argos can get there yet. Last year's East Final drew 21,331, according to Wikipedia. Anything above that is a win. 23,000 would be nice. 25,000 would be a statement MLSE couldn't possibly ignore.

Last week the on the X's and Argos podcast, they were saying 17,000 tickets have already sold. With that in mind, it is more than possible to beat last year's total, but anything beyond that I am not so sure.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    27,000 would be fantastic but I am not sure the Argos can get there yet. Last year's East Final drew 21,331, according to Wikipedia. Anything above that is a win. 23,000 would be nice. 25,000 would be a statement MLSE couldn't possibly ignore.

Last week the on the X's and Argos podcast, they were saying 17,000 tickets have already sold. With that in mind, it is more than possible to beat last year's total, but anything beyond that I am not so sure.
    You are probably right. And I know we are supposed to be okay with that. I just don't want ownership to be "okay" with it. They shouldn't be. Nobody can tell me that with a little bit of effort, and elbow grease, and want to attitude - that MLSE couldn't sell 10,000 more seats with 3 weeks to go. They could. Because I guarantee you the team they own on that day will be fully prepared, and the players will be dialed in and are doing everything in these next 3 weeks to give all of us in attendance a game we won't forget. They will leave nothing behind. They will not be satisfied with anything but leaving it all out on the field. I would like to see their owners approach those 10,000 remaining tickets the same way.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 54.0%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran50000 Experience Points

Level
    To be fair, TFC had a massive head start. MLSE was building up a loyal, demographically attractive fan base for TFC two or three Argo ownership groups ago. They did it in a smart, sustainable way and the proof is that they continue to draw well even after some really terrible seasons. Hopefully Argos can replicate that but it is going to take time.
    Year of the Rocket: John Candy, Wayne Gretzky, a Crooked Tycoon, and the Craziest Season in Football History (https://sutherlandhousebooks.com/pro...of-the-rocket/)

Bouncing Back: From National Joke to Grey Cup Champs (https://bit.ly/3fvip5x)

YOTR YouTube https://bit.ly/37jtG4f
    BB YouTube https://bit.ly/2TSYPs7

Bleeds Double Blue
    Overall activity: 79.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by Shatto View Post
    A few thoughts about today's game:
    .Too often teams have been able to put up good passing yards against the Argos. Mostly it has been short and intermediate passes but today the Riders were able to complete several long passes.

. Adeboboye proved he can be a very good backup at RB.

. Dukes, wasn't expected to make this team but he has impressed more and more as he plays. The team now has an effective backup for Kelly.

.Both OL and DL played strong games. When Allen returns the OL will be even better.

. The Argos were penalized for hits on the Rider QB but at least one of those calls was very questionable. But--no penalty when Kelly's lower leg was twisted?

. There has been a lot of talk about rookie Stiggers excellent play but another rookie DB (Pierce) has also been playing very well. He made an outstanding break on the ball to intercept late in the game.
    Adebobye looked outstanding IMO - power, and some moves & speed.

Dukes has surprised and is impressive for a raw rookie QB IMO

Pierce has come on and is showing well and Stiggers is an obvious talent; still a concern though with all the inexperience in the secondary for a big play-off game (if only Daniel & Amos were healthy - that secondary would be league best likely)

Nice to see the young talent doing well.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 214
    Overall activity: 16.0%
    Achievements:

Level
    You are probably right. And I know we are supposed to be okay with that. I just don't want ownership to be "okay" with it. They shouldn't be. Nobody can tell me that with a little bit of effort, and elbow grease, and want to attitude - that MLSE couldn't sell 10,000 more seats with 3 weeks to go. They could. Because I guarantee you the team they own on that day will be fully prepared, and the players will be dialed in and are doing everything in these next 3 weeks to give all of us in attendance a game we won't forget. They will leave nothing behind. They will not be satisfied with anything but leaving it all out on the field. I would like to see their owners approach those 10,000 remaining tickets the same way.
    I hope you are right in the end. Good news today. X's and Argos Twitter posted the upper East deck is expected to open soon.

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    To be fair, TFC had a massive head start. MLSE was building up a loyal, demographically attractive fan base for TFC two or three Argo ownership groups ago. They did it in a smart, sustainable way and the proof is that they continue to draw well even after some really terrible seasons. Hopefully Argos can replicate that but it is going to take time.
    I am with you. My hope for this team springs eternal for them to be a player in this city's sports minds again. One thing MLSE have done well each of the last 2 years is get Argo players out to Leaf and Raptor games to promote the Eastern Final. I expect they will do that again, with Raptors starting up this week. Hopefully they just promote the heck out of the game on their media outlets as well and get the city hyped for another Grey Cup run. In the immortal words of Carl Brazley - "Get hyped with me".
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Achievements:

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by "Issues"Mcgee View Post
    I hope you are right in the end. Good news today. X's and Argos Twitter posted the upper East deck is expected to open soon.
    And it looks like they are going to sell seats in that endzone bleacher. I don't know what they are selling those for, but they should be $10-$20. Just fill the place up. It is going to get loud in there filled to capacity.
    GO ARGOS!!!

Bleeds Double Blue
    Level completed: 11%, Points required for next Level: 448
    Achievements:
    Your first GroupCreated Album picturesTagger First ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Level
    And it looks like they are going to sell seats in that endzone bleacher. I don't know what they are selling those for, but they should be $10-$20. Just fill the place up. It is going to get loud in there filled to capacity.
    $52.75

Which, in this city, amounts to the best entertainment deal of the year.
    #MAKEARGONAUTSGREATAGAIN

Boatman
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
    To be clear, MLSE and their point man at the time of inception Paul Beirne knew little about the game. He was an internal transfer from the Raptors at the time. He heavily relied on supporters groups for their input of how to build a supporter culture that approximated the European soccer culture.

It's amazing that the Argos get criticized for not being as good as the NFL by many in the GTA, while TFC is farther away in quality by some distance from the best league in the world, the English Premier League.

The Argos key to building a better fanbase IMO, is to build a fan culture and community. This is somewhat present with the team currently but needs to be more organized and exposed to the general public.

Boatman
    Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 57
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran

Level
    Damon Allen was the QB for Cal in that game.
    Damon Allen never played for Cal in the 1980's. He played for Cal State Fullerton, which abandoned their football program in 1992.