Quote Originally Posted by paulwoods13 View Post
No arguments about those being great multi-year teams, but IMO the discussion is and should be about single-season performance. We are not talking about the 2022-23 Argos, or the 2023-2027 Argos, but about this year's team. The 1996 and 1997 Argos had many common elements, as did the 1978-82 Eskimos, but they also had lineup changes every season. IMO the 1997 Argos were a much stronger team than the 1996 Argos, even though they had identical records.
Ok, so I'd go with the 68 Ottawa Rough Riders, 84 Bombers, 82 EE, & 97 Argos as single best single season teams - all GC winners and each team loaded with all-star or HOF type talent - and these twin factors are the best markers IMO.

If it was just about measuring wins in total on the season, then this 16 & 2 team if it wins the East & GC would be 18 & 2 in total, and thus gets the award ? I just don't see this Argo team (especially with some key players out with injury/whatever) as anywhere near as proven talented as those teams I list above.